View Full Version : CF Wireless - Jornada 568: What a Mess!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbsteph
09-26-2002, 03:23 AM
I have now tried two wireless CF cards for my Jornada 568 without success (Neatgear 701 and D-Link 660).

No problem downloading and setting up drivers on the PDA or connecting to my AP. However, no access to the internet.

I have read hundreds of posts on many a board - tried every combination of set-ups possible (internet, internet, work etc.) -downloaded utilities -all for naught.

This has got to be the most horrible process known to mankind. Lousy manuals, worse vendor website help and MS making this as big a mystery as possible.

Wireless connectivity with a PocketPC needs a significant improvement. I am thoroughly disgusted - 7 or 8 hours wasted on something that should be easy. Why its not is beyond me.

For what its worth, I run two desktops (One wireless) and a laptop (wireless) without seldom a problem. Why the h--l is the process for adding PDA such a nightmare?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Disappointed in Arizona

Ed Hansberry
09-26-2002, 04:08 AM
Have you tried a hard reset? This should be easy to set up. I am wondring if you have some driver conflicts that are causing the problem.

JonnoB
09-26-2002, 07:45 AM
I have an HP 568 and I use the Symbol WiFi card. It works perfectly. My wife has one in her Toshiba 550 and my daughter in her iPaq. I know you did not try it yet, but I think that you will find that most poeple who use the Symbol will tell you that it 'just works' and is the smallest of the bunch with decent range.

tbsteph
09-27-2002, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the input. I did read several posts about the Symbol card. To be honest, I could not find one locally for less than $179.99 (I wanted to buy locally so if I had problems it would be easy to return.)

It still baffles me why D-Link and/or Netgear can't provide a decent manual or web information for trouble shooting. For what its worth, D-Link's info was the worst.

Thanks again,

Disappointed in Arizona.

Jorgen
09-27-2002, 07:19 AM
I use the D-Link DCF-660W wireless card and have tried it at home in ad-hoc mode (with Bluetake USB BW002 and PC cards BW001) and yesterday at Starbucks in Fleet Street in London (yes, there are now two sip-and-surf Starbucks in the UK!) in infrastructure mode. Took half a mug of capucino to change setup's first time but once running it worked like a dream!

Jorgen

Jorgen
09-27-2002, 07:26 AM
tbsteph, I have emailed you my email address privately.
Jorgen

FredMurphy
09-27-2002, 09:56 AM
Jorgen,

Where's the other Starbucks with 802.11b? (O does anyone know of a site listing *UK* access points?) I've spent far too much time at Starbucks recently connected via GPRS!

Fred

Jorgen
09-27-2002, 08:25 PM
The other is 90 Old Broad Street, not far from Fleet Street - they chose the financial centre and the media centre, unfortunately not Baker Street which I frequent.

The is the official web-site:
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=phones_wb_hsl

I will pop back to Fleet Street Saturday to try out my hp-548 as well.

They expect to charge £50 a month. I wonder how many they expect to pay that sort of money for something you can only use at Starbucks! (unless you live on top of it, of course). Even then I pay £15 / month for BTopenworld at home and where I can dial wirelessly via my WLAN.

Jorgen

tbsteph
09-29-2002, 02:35 AM
I was finally able to connect my Jornada but only with a static IP etc.

I found a thread on Brighthand where someone else was having difficulty using DHCP and his router was the DLink 614+. He finally got his to work by limiting the router transmit/receive speed to 1 MP.

I reset my PocketPC to use DHCP and adjusted the DLink to a maximum of 11 MPS. And ------ it worked! All the settings were properly sent to the PocketPC and now I surf which is really difficult in Arizona.

Why the PocketPC would not receive the DHCP settings at a higher MP from the router is beyond me (The DLink claims to transmit up to 11 MPS?). Nevertheless a lot of perseverence paid off.

Tom in Surprise, Arizona that is!!

Jorgen
09-29-2002, 07:50 AM
DHCP works on mine using WinRoute Lite.

I have been experimenting with LAN programs the past week. Try this if you have problems with DHCP:

http://www.furrygoat.com/Programming/ceipConfig.html

Jorgen

reidme
10-01-2002, 01:41 PM
I have the same problem, and I DO have a Symbol CF card. The connection seems fine, but can't connect to the internet. I've tried resetting everything, reloading drivers, changing all the settings... no dice.

Microsoft, HP, Symbol, and Netgear all assume its someone else's problem. There are almost no meaningful settings to make on the Pocket PC, so my best guess is I need to change a setting in my access point (Netgear MR314), but what? It works fine with two other wireless devices (a desktop with USB access point and a laptop with PC card access point.)

Its frustrating when you have four different companies involved and they can all say it's not their problem. I'm starting to suspect Microsoft wants it this way so they can sell MS branded solutions. In 10 years we'll probably all be using MS brand computers, handhelds, phones, and wireless networks!

Jorgen
10-01-2002, 09:01 PM
>someone else was having difficulty using DHCP

The dlink 660 does not have any problems with DHCP: I have used it at Starbucks and yesterday at Paddington Station (see the discussion about WiFi hotspots in the UK). Works fine both places.

However, I have to admit that after having ripped all kinds of networking programs on and off the HP, DHCP does not work at home anymore so I use a fixed connection. :(
Ah, well ...

Jorgen