View Full Version : Jornada 540 series and Sprint PCS phone

nightline
09-25-2002, 05:36 AM
Hello everyone, I am asking this question for a friend of mine.

She has a Jornada 545 I believe and she wants to connect it to her Sprint PCS phone (forgot which model). She said that she talked to someone at Sprint and they mentioned that she should be able to find a cable for it.

Has anyone actually tried this and had any luck with it? How fast? How easy or hard to do?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

ttran
09-25-2002, 04:23 PM
I was a Sprint PCS customer and used to have a Nokia 6185 cellphone.
In order to get access to the net via my cellphone, I bought a digital
phone card from Socketcom.com for the Nokia 6185 model. It worked
really well. The only thing I did not like was the cable that connects the
card (a CF1 type) to the cellphone. It was pretty clumsy but like I said,
the whole setup worked quite well.

Julio
09-25-2002, 04:31 PM
Hello,
She has a Jornada 545 I believe and she wants to connect it to her Sprint PCS phone
What she can do is buy a Digital Phone Card from Socket. They sell them in the Sprint PCS store or online at places like MobilePlanet. When I bought mine it was ~$100. The card allows you to use the cell phone as a modem. You will get on average 9.6 kbps - though it always says 14.4 kbps. You still need an ISP to dial into for Internet service.

It is a CF type 1 card with a cable that connects to your Sprint phone. Make sure that you buy the card/cable combo that is specific to her phone - because all of the phones have a different data connector on the bottom. For instance, the cable that I have is specific for the Samsung 3500 phone that I use.

When installing, make sure you follow the instructions exactly. If you do, it should install easily and just work the first time. If you don't, her PPC may become confused because it will load the wrong driver for the card.

The card works really well. It has allowed me to get emails, surf the web (slowly), and generally be productive when I am stuck in the airport or any other place far from an easy Internet connection.

Julio

nightline
09-26-2002, 02:55 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the info, I sent her the link to this thread so she can see the results.

:lol: