View Full Version : Free-form databases for the Pocket PC?

ScottG
09-20-2002, 02:27 AM
Know of any free-form databases for the Pocket PC? If not, what do you recommend as an alternative?

PocketRocket
09-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Copied this below from Microsoft.Com. I checked some options. I liked the look of Handbase (looked very user friendly and quite flexible) and also intrigued by SQL Server 2000 Windows CE Edition (more technical). Very interested in more discussions on this topic.
:idea:
Pocket PC Database Options
By Jason Dunn, July 3, 2000
Pocket Access was only released on the Handheld PC Pro platform, and there is currently no Pocket PC version. Thankfully, there are other options.

For database functionality on the Pocket PC, there are several applications you should take a look at. At the time of this writing, none of these database programs have been fully tested with the new Pocket PC 2002. Compatibility questions are best addressed by contacting the developer directly.

abcDB by PocketSoft
HanDbase by DDH Software
Pocket Database by Pocket Innovations
SQL Server 2000 Windows CE Edition
Pocket Database by Surerange
Visual CE by Syware
PocketCard by obsolution
Oracle 8i Lite by Oracle
Mbrane Touchpoint Solutions
Resco ADOCE Manager by Resco Remote Solutions
Pocket DB by CD Software Solutions
HandyDB by Software 4 CE
Data on The Run
DB Anywhere by Tiny Pocket Software

Jason Dunn
09-22-2002, 06:37 PM
That article is VERY old - I'd suggest going to www.handango.com and searching their Pocket PC store for "database" and see what you get.

virlin
10-09-2002, 11:29 PM
As a congenitally untidy information collector, I built my own freeform database system using Perl. It runs as CGI under Win2k and Pocket PC (Casio E-200) with a bit of help from HTML, Perl, Apache (or similar) and Internet Explorer. There is a free Win CE version of Perl and Apache, and if anyone would like the Perl script, Il'l supply it free (and could share my experience of configuring Perl CE and Apache CE).