View Full Version : CBC News comes to Pocket PCs via Mazingo

Jason Dunn
09-18-2002, 06:48 PM
<a href="http://www.mazingo.net/news/09-18-02.htm">http://www.mazingo.net/news/09-18-02.htm</a><br /><br />Now here's something cool - video clips coming straight from CBC using Mazingo. Good news for Canadians, but you Americans might find the news interesting as well.<br /><br />"Canada's public broadcaster, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), has inked a deal with Mazingo Network to deliver CBC news video to handheld devices via Mazingo's exclusive Mobile Entertainment Network. For the first time, millions of PDA users in Canada, and around the world, will now have mobile and wireless access to CBC video in the palm of their hands. <br /><br />Subscribers to Mazingo's multimedia delivery service will be served at least eight new video clips per weekday on their PDAs. New videos will also be served on weekends and holidays. Video clips will include top news stories from World, National, Regional, Business, Sports, Science and Arts &amp; Entertainment headlines. <br /><br />"We are excited to now offer CBC users worldwide a wireless and visual method of accessing our news stories. The CBC is leading the way with the Mobile News Video Channel giving our subscribers the flexibility of watching the news on their mobiles in an easy and convenient fashion," said Bob Kerr, director, New Media Partnering."<br /><br />If you're not a Mazingo Premium Subscriber, <a href="http://www.mazingo.net/pc/subscribe.php?site_id=56&src=43">you can sign up</a> (affiliate link).

kevinsb1
09-19-2002, 12:21 AM
Is anyone paying for Mazingo? I applaud them for aggressively adding content, but i personally don’t see anything I would pay for. In the future we will start seeing some really compelling services, but today nothing impresses me.

Thoughts???

Also why does Mazingo have Rolling Stone and Wired Magazine as premium content?? These are available on AvantGo for nothing.

Kevin
www.mymobilestuff.com

Jason Dunn
09-19-2002, 05:16 AM
Also why does Mazingo have Rolling Stone and Wired Magazine as premium content?? These are available on AvantGo for nothing.

The way AvantGo is going, you may be accessing a big fat NOTHING with them pretty quick - their business model is ass backwards. :roll:

Rolling Stone and Wired Magazine probably chose to put their content into the premium section - why? Because unlike AvantGo where publishers have to pay $5000+ US to have the "privilege" of pushing a channel down to visitors, Mazingo pays the publisher for creating content by charging consumers for accessing that content - which is that way AvantGo should have been done from the start.

cpoole
09-20-2002, 05:18 AM
My interest is more with CBC Radio One.

I would be quite interested if I could receive As It Happens or Ideas in WMA format...

I guess what I really need is a VCR type of program that has a timer so that I can record the broadcasts that are already there. Is there a product that already does this?