View Full Version : Need help ASAP! Broke screen, how to replace by end of week?

idioteque
09-18-2002, 01:34 AM
Hi everyone,

About two months ago, I foolishly broke my PDA (Toshiba e310) while I was sitting down. I never knew how to contact Toshiba for a replacement. I'm short on cash to get a replacement, and I need to find out a way to get a replacement e310 or e740 by the end of the week. (My Dad, who bought me this as a gift, has been asking to borrow it. I don't want to tell him I broke his gift.) Please help! Thank you so much... Sorry if I seem rather rude, but this is an emergency. Thanks!

- idioteque

Jason Dunn
09-18-2002, 02:02 AM
Wow - that sucks! Sitting on it and breaking it won't be covered under the warranty, so you're pretty much going to have to buy a new one. Go down to a local store and buy one. Oh yeah, and tell your dad the truth. :D

idioteque
09-18-2002, 02:18 AM
Well, I would, but I don't have the money to buy one right now... I can try to gather up enough for a replacement (which I read somewhere was around $130), but I don't have another $399 to spend. I know I shouldn't lie to get Toshiba to replace it, but I'm desperate... please help, what would you do? :cry:

BTW, afaik, any LCD crack (the liquid is all over the screen on mine) has never been covered by warranty, correct? BTW, how much should I expect to pay for a replacement unit?

JonnoB
09-18-2002, 05:03 AM
Some manufacturers offer a no-questions asked replacement warranty. Too late for you, but something to look into next time.

idioteque
09-18-2002, 10:03 AM
I've looked into that to avoid this situation next time, but I can't find any no questions accidental insurance from Toshiba. Are there any stores that offer this, and what should I do at this point? Thanks.

Brian Johnson
09-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Did your dad buy it with a credit card?

If so, and depending on which credit card company (but many have the same policy), you may be protected under "stolen or damaged clause". Of course, this means you'll have to break the news to your dad!

For example, my Mastercard provides extended warranty & purchase protection for free. It clearly states, "This insurance covers against theft of OR DAMAGE to covered items (which the Pocket PC does qualify), anywhere in the world. .... it will be repaired, replaced or you will be reimbursed the purchase price (not including taxes)...."
This warranty is automatically covered for 90 days from the date of purchase, no registration required. All you have to do is contact the credit card company, they send you a claims form and you then provide them with the damaged product, sales receipt, and credit card receipt.

I've never had to use this before so I really can't comment on how effective the whole process is, but hey, it's worth a try!