View Full Version : PCMCIA for iPAQ?

berzins
09-16-2002, 07:25 PM
I was looking at getting a PCMCIA sleeve for my IPAQ to use PC cards. The problem I can see is that they don't seem to come with PPC drivers. Can you use any PCMCIA card, or does it specifically have to be written for PPC?

Dave...

Jason Dunn
09-16-2002, 10:15 PM
You need Pocket PC drivers, and as you noticed, it will vary from vendor to vendor.

berzins
09-16-2002, 10:31 PM
Do you know of any 802.11a or b PCMCIA cards that have driver support for iPAQ's?

Dave...

CoreyJF
09-17-2002, 06:26 PM
I use linksys with my ipaq. They have ppc drivers.

Tim Welch
09-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Have a look at Chris De Herrera's site for cards with CE drivers at...

http://www.cewindows.net/peripherals/pccardwirelesslan.htm

Tim Welch

Underwater Mike
09-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Do you know of any 802.11a or b PCMCIA cards that have driver support for iPAQ's?

Dave,

LOTS of PCMCIA WiFi cards in the "b" flavor -- I just got the Belkin from CompUSA for $39 after rebate, even though I already had a Linksys CF card that I had been using in my iPAQ and with an adapter in my notebook. The Belkin card works great.

Right now (and for the near future), you won't find an "a" card compatible with the PPC because they're all CardBus-based, while the iPAQ supports only 16-bit PCMCIA. I searched for a few days before discovering this. :roll:

don dre
09-24-2002, 07:24 PM
D-Link Also has one with drivers but you have to be careful which model you get. I can't remember the model but you can be sure it's the latest one so if the box says 2000, let it go.

Dave Conger
09-27-2002, 01:02 AM
It is pretty easy to tell now as companies (especially wireless) make sure to note Pocket PC's are supported as they want the added business. If you aren't sure about one you can always post it up because probably one of the thousand active people on this board have tried/use it.

Brad Adrian
09-27-2002, 12:54 PM
And, if there's a specific card you're looking at and you're unsure if it is compatible with your Pocket PC, try going to the card manufacturer's site and see if they have drivers to download.