View Full Version : Report on Toshiba e550G PCCARD + Battery Expansion..

gdaswani
09-15-2002, 06:32 AM
Here's a report for those e550G users out there waiting for the PCCARD + Battery Expansion..

1) It only seems to work with Memory Type and Modem PCMCIA Cards, I couldn't get it working with WiFi, NE2000 and other I/O based PCMCIA Cards.

Definitely works with

a) Toshiba PCMCIA Hard Drives
b) Compact Flash Cards along with PC Card adapter
c) Modems (Tried a Cirrus Logic and a Xircom, was detected)
d) I have a feeling that it will also work with those phone cards like the Sierra Wireless and etc (at least I saw a picture here where a Sierra Wireless card was plugged into the PCMCIA Slot (masterofmayhem)..

* The Japanese Toshiba GenioE website states it works with the following device.

i) Toshiba 2 GB / 5 GB PCMCIA HDD
ii) FOMA Mobile Card ( I think these are those phone cards )
iii) Flash Memory Cards
iv) Fax Modem Cards
v) Certain phone cards

no mention of WiFi and etc..

2) It has a 1500 mAh battery - with it plugged on, you'll have 2600 mAh..

3) Instead of a real PCMCIA I/O interface like the IPAQ's, it seems to be a USB -> PCMCIA bridge (I've noticed that when I had it plugged on a while back, it kept finding an unknown usb device).

4) It costs around 190 USD (Japan - List price converted) - that's without Shipping, taxes, and Commission :) I paid a total of 230$ to get it shipped here..

Overall, I'm disappointed that it's not working with other PCMCIA cards even though battery life has doubled. It's definitely great if you want *gobs* of storage though, especially when coupled with the Toshiba 2 GB PCMCIA Card - yipes..