View Full Version : The Zen of Palm and how it backfires

Ed Hansberry
09-13-2002, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2303.html">http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2303.html</a><br /><br />"Jørgen Sundgot has a few thoughts on why Palm now struggles in a market where it's no longer alone. Why? Because Palm draws inspiration from Apple." He draws numerous comparisons between Palm and Apple and discusses the licensing strategy, licensee proprietary OEM APIs and, of course, Palm's biggest foe - Microsoft. This is a very interesting read on the delicate balance often discussed here about how Palm must stay simple to maintain some of their current base, but must morph into a more powerful OS to keep the rest of their base.<br /><br />It also shows how Microsoft's and Palm's strategy differ. Though the article mentions Palm, it probably should say PalmSource, as Palm is not much more than just another PalmSource customer.

Foo Fighter
09-13-2002, 10:11 PM
These comparisons between Palm and Apple fail to include one very important detail: Apple was NEVER the dominant platform. At its zenith, Apple had less than 15-20% of the PC market. PalmOS, on the other hand, has a commanding lead with well over 80% of the handheld market. If anything, Pocket PC has more in common with the plight of the Mac than PalmOS.

Another area where I have to disagree with Jorgen's assessment is that Pocket PC isn't really stealing much marketshare from PalmOS at all. Palm has much more to fear from Sony than Microsoft.

Foo Fighter
09-13-2002, 10:38 PM
Another thought: I think the greatest challenge going forward, is whether PalmSourse can survive on the revenues it generates from software licensing. Between operating costs, marketing, R&D...I don't see how this company can stay alive..let alone become profitable. And on tight budget, you have to wonder how much R&D is being sacrificed, which cripples innovation.

Jason Dunn
09-14-2002, 12:22 AM
Apple was NEVER the dominant platform. At its zenith, Apple had less than 15-20% of the PC market.

Hmm...I don't know about that. During the 80's, before the Mac, the IIe and it's clones were EVERYWHERE. I have no market share numbers, just the joyful memories of playing GEMSTONE WARRIOR on a 14" amber and black monitor. :D

Foo Fighter
09-14-2002, 01:05 AM
During the 80's, before the Mac, the IIe and it's clones were EVERYWHERE.

I'm strictly speaking Mac/PC era, not back in the days of the Apple II...which by the way was the FIRST computer I ever used! Boy that takes me back.... :popcorn:

The Mac was never above twenty percent of the overall PC market. WinTel PCs have always dominated over Apple's platform. Windows continued to push the Mac further and further into irrelevance. Today Apple holds just 2.6% worldwide, and 3.8% US. And those numbers are continuing to decline. After it shrinks below 2%, the industry will write them off for good.

Off topic: The real tragedy is that Apple designs the best computers I have ever seen or owned. It isn't just "pretty colors", it is the thought and caring that goes into the designs. You look around at the systems offered by Dell, HP, or Gateway..and they are all pretty much generic looking. Sony does a credible job, especially in notebook PCs. But desktops, for the most part, are bland and boring. :cry:

Jason Dunn
09-14-2002, 02:29 AM
But desktops, for the most part, are bland and boring. :cry:

Many are, but not all...just like on the Mac side of things, if you're willing to pay for it, you can get some very sexy machines:

www.voodoopc.com

And my Shuttle SS51G is a whole lotta' lovin' in a little package. :lol:

Foo Fighter
09-14-2002, 04:08 AM
www.voodoopc.com :lol:

I prefer more subtle designs:

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/atc/p610.htm

Here's another good selection of cases:

www.colorcases.com

This design looks pretty kick ass. I wish PC designers would use more variety of plastics and metals, such as mesh or perforated metals like this:

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/atc/p4000.htm

CoffeeKid
09-14-2002, 04:14 AM
Yo yo ma! I was saying pretty much the same thing about the Apple = = Palm thing as much as 18 months ago on pdabuzz, brighthand (look em up), and even in Jason's old comments boards :crazyeyes:

If I remember correctly, not many agreed with the comments I made early on, but about a year ago, more did... especially when it looked (for a while at least) like Palm was going to ditch their OEM licensees (the Toshiba thing, and them getting scared of Sony).

Mark

Take1
09-14-2002, 09:24 AM
Sony's the company that will take the Palm OS into the future. Palm as a hardware company is finished -- they don't have the hutspah to do what it takes; even Handspring TRIED something different! We'll see the same old Vx/m5xx form factor rehashed too many more times before Palm as a hardware company fails or is relegated to competing against Royal for low end marketshare. Palm Source will survive, but if they are lucky, they will be bought out by Sony and then you'll see a REAL techno war between PPC and... Sony (i.e., the 'new' Palm!).

Jonathon Watkins
09-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Cheers for the case links Foo - I especially liked some of the ones from Colorcases. They really have some nice stuff - I thought the cat, dog & penguin ones were funny, though the ones like 'Trinity; and '1602' would be the ones I would actually buy - if I could get them shiped the UK that is. :roll:

I currently have an Antec case painted in metalic hammered silver, a larger tower case pained in metalic hammered deep blue and a midi tower in metalic electric blue. My first PC was a Sinclair ZX81. :D

Back on topic, I thought that the infosync article was well argued and made a fair point. Palm = :morning:

Brad Adrian
09-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Palm has much more to fear from Sony than Microsoft.
You know, we've kinda been saying that for quite a while now. What I'm wondering is, when is Sony going to make its move? The smartest thing is to wait until Palm is on the ropes, but even that may take a bit of time. I don't guess, though, that Sony has to worry too much about anybody else sneaking in and snatching up Palm's remains before they can.