View Full Version : Any Current PPC'ers Considering a Windows Smartphone?

jngold_me
09-13-2002, 03:20 AM
Considering the lack of "real" innovations in PPC's right now, smart phones are a serious piece of machinery for those that don't want to carry a PPC phone edition everywhere they go. Yeah, I know it's more a voice-centric device with data capability, but I can't help thinking that the Smartphone is going to be a real exciting device that will bring voice and data into a compact form factor.

Any thoughts?

Jason Dunn
09-13-2002, 06:03 AM
Agreed - there's a LOT of potential there...if they ever get here. :-)

Martin I Pettinger
09-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Hi

I think Smartphones could be the next big thing when 3G arrives. In the UK 2.5G phones are popular with their colour screens and GPRS option.

The Ericsson T68 seems to be the in thing - a lot of colleagues and friends seem to be buying it.

Problem is the thing is so darn small - I've tried using one and it's fiddly. I've also looked at the new Phone Edition PPC's - XDA and 928.

These just seem to large to be used as a mobile phone when you compare to the new dinky phones including the V90.

When I think back to concept models some years ago - I recall a modular concept a smartphone a separate keyboard and a separate LCD tablet.

With wireless technology advancing this kind of modular approach may take off - consider the small add on camera for the T68.

Looking really far ahead (maybe getting off topic here) what about e-paper - i.e. a screen you can roll - like in Minority Report.

Some rambling thoughts

Martin