View Full Version : The US e550G Fan Page

Jason Dunn
09-10-2002, 09:43 PM
<a href="http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/GenioE/index.htm">http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/GenioE/index.htm</a><br /><br />Charles Pickrell purchased an e550G a little while ago, and he likes it a great deal - so much so that he started up a little web site about it. If you're a fellow e550G afficianado, check the site out - he has information what sort of accessories are available, where to get them etc. It's great to see someone who enjoys their Pocket PC so much!

Charles Pickrell
09-10-2002, 10:21 PM
Wow what a great site! That Charles guy is one smart dude. Oh wait, I forgot to log back in here as someone else. Oh well. :)

MobiliT
09-10-2002, 10:49 PM
As an e550G user, I appreciate the gathering of news and accessory information.

Now all we need is a website that has links to all the individual Pocket PC device devoted websites! :wink:

Jason Dunn
09-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Wow what a great site! That Charles guy is one smart dude. Oh wait, I forgot to log back in here as someone else. Oh well. :)

Yeah, who do you think you are, Dave? :lol: :lol:

Jason Dunn
09-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Now all we need is a website that has links to all the individual Pocket PC device devoted websites! :wink:

Our links section should be back....someday. :wink:

jim s
09-10-2002, 11:08 PM
So how does this model compare to the e740, other than larger screen and no WiFi? Any other major differences?

JonnoB
09-11-2002, 01:03 AM
So how does this model compare to the e740, other than larger screen and no WiFi? Any other major differences?

I have almost decided my next device will be a Toshiba after my wife's great experiences with her Audiovox. Unless something else great comes out in the next 30-60 days, I will get either the 740 or the 550. I would love to hear other's opinions on the reasons they chose one over the other.

apeguero
09-11-2002, 01:32 AM
The only thing the e740 has going for it over the e550g, in my opinion, is the built-in Wifi and the ability to run presentations using the expansion pack. Other then that I like my e550g a lot more then my previous e740. It feels faster, the screen is not only bigger but also nicer image. The screen stretches all the way to the edge unlike the e740 which not only does it have a 3.5" screen but there's like a 1/8th inch gap all the way around the screen making it look even smaller. They both have the same expansion capabilities, except the e550g has a built in USB Port in the cradle. The e550g has a better joystick. The buttons on the e550g are a lot harder to "accidentally" press. The e550g, in my opinion, looks better the e740 which looks rather "cheap" in it's tin can metal outfit :wink: The batteries seem to last about the same. The e550g has better sound, plus better settings software.

Like I said before, other then the fact that the e740 has built in WIFI and the battery is replaceable, as well as having some accesories available at this time at CompUSA, I'd say go with the e550g.

You can also always do a side-by-side comparison of the two if you simply go to the PDA section of the CompUSA website and then find the e550g and click on "Compare" then click on the "Click Here to continue browsing and add more products to your comparison". That will take you back to the PDA section where you can then find the e740 and click compare on that one. This will list them side by side.

My advise though, whichever you do buy, I recommend paying the extra 70 or 100 bucks to get either the 1 or 2 year extended, bumper to bumper warranty at CompUSA. I've used it once and it was a life saver for me.

jim s
09-11-2002, 03:20 AM
I guess another consideration is the $130 price differential, plus about $70 for a wifi cf card, making about $200 cost difference.

Charles Pickrell
09-11-2002, 04:05 AM
One of the biggest gripes I had about Pocket PC devices was the tiny screens. Having owned a Newton 2100 I was spoiled by all the screen space to write on. Now with the e550G and Transcriber I can actually write long words on the screen. I just with the actual pixel resolution was higher, and I could drag stuff to the side of the screen to put it on the clipboard. If you used a Newton you would understand.