View Full Version : How can I get W2k system to see the files on the e740???

darkroom
09-04-2002, 09:04 PM
Is there a way to get my desktop W2k system to see the file system on the e740 over the wireless, just like I can see the file system on my wireless notebooks?

Thanks!

Jason Dunn
09-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Nope - not without ActiveSync (to the best of my knowledge).

darkroom
09-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Basically, what I want to do is have a file on the e740, and run, say, Excel on my deskop...and have it open/save to the file that's on the e740.

apeguero
09-06-2002, 06:03 PM
You know, there's a folder in your PC's file system that synchronizes with your Pocket PC. Go to the Active Synch program and click on Options, then click on the Files icon then on Settings. In there you should see the path to that directory in your file system. My happens to be in my C drive under the Documents and Settings folder then in my username and then My Documents\Genio My Documents. Yours will be different. Now, what I do is any file I want to keep in synch I save to that folder. For example, I have an excel spreadsheet in there that keeps a list of items I collect. Since it's saved in that folder then what happens is whenever I update the file, be it in Genio or in the PC then both are synchronized as soon as Genio synchronizes.

Hope that helps.

darkroom
09-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the idea, but that won't work for me. The original file HAS to be on the e740, or the e740 won't work for me...

I'm kind of stunned that they (Microsoft) didn't simply make this just like any other Windows product...that you can get to the file system over the network with no effort... Sigh.

spursdude
09-07-2002, 12:00 AM
Do keep in mind that WiFi was not so prevalent when they designed pocket pc 2002. we can always hope for nice new features in the next OS. :)

Ed Hansberry
09-07-2002, 03:19 AM
Can't be done. What you want is the PPC to show up as a mountable drive. That would take a major change in ActiveSync.

apeguero
09-07-2002, 06:59 PM
What if you save the spreadsheet in a CF or SD card and then use a CF/SD card reader to access the files in from PC. Then, when you're done all you have to do is pop the CF or SD card into the Pocket PC? Have you given that a try? If not, then good luck.

darkroom
09-08-2002, 04:40 AM
The file has to reside on the e740 and there is no physical access to the e740, so cards can't be popped out etc. As I said, I simply want the e740 to look like another drive to the desktop, just like my notebook computers do... I'm quite amazed that MS was so shortsighted on this, and I just assumed that they wouldn't make an OS that couldn't do this! Sigh.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I guess the e740 has to go back, and I'll just have to get some micro PC that'll run W2k. Big bummer.

Ed Hansberry
09-08-2002, 02:09 PM
The file has to reside on the e740 and there is no physical access to the e740, so cards can't be popped out etc. As I said, I simply want the e740 to look like another drive to the desktop, just like my notebook computers do... I'm quite amazed that MS was so shortsighted on this, and I just assumed that they wouldn't make an OS that couldn't do this! Sigh.
Why do you see this as shortsighted? In 4 years of messing with these things, this is the first request I've seen where someone wants the PDA to appear as a mounted drive on their desktop.

You realize once you dock the 740 and AS syncs the files over, you can work on the file in \my documents\pocketpc my documents\ and when you save the file and close it in the desktop app, AS will immediately sync it back over?

darkroom
09-08-2002, 02:44 PM
The e740 is far more than a PDA. In four years, you haven't seen an 802.11b device, (which is Ethernet mind you, and one of the main purposes for Ethernet-TCP/IP has typically been to get to other file systems). As such, and given the amount of memory it can have, and as well as a "large" hard disk (1G at this point in time), it only makes sense, at least to me, to have the file system be able to be seen by other computers over the wireless. This is far more than for simply storing phone numbers on.

And...well, it's wireless. You shouldn't have to put the thing in a dock to sync it up...it should be able to do it wirelessly. Possibly, you can do this...I don't know, it's of no consequence to me if it does or doesn't. Personally, I have no need to "synch it up". Like I said, it's got the capability of a 1G hard drive, a quite fast processor, Ethernet connectivity, and it has decent input and screen...it really can stand on it's own. Now, I do understand some people's need to sync, but given this device has as much power as it does, I believe more people will find it works fine independantly.

As I said, for MY needs, it fails, simply because I need a device that I can get to files on remotely, not using some program such as ActiveSync. I made a bad assumption (nor could I find ANY information on before I bought this mind you) that a wireless 802.11b Ethernet device that runs a current MS OS doesn't allow for mounting of drives by other systems on the network.

It's a very good bet that in the near future, now that these devices DO have Ethernet connectivity, that the OS will support mounting of drives over Ethernet.

darkroom
09-09-2002, 03:14 PM
What about VPN? PocketPC 2002 is supposed to support a VPN client, but I can't really find any information on how to set it up, or use it.

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/learnmore/software/vpn.asp

Anyone ever setup a VPN on their e740?

Ed Hansberry
09-09-2002, 03:33 PM
Anyone ever setup a VPN on their e740?
VPN allows the PPC to log into a VPN server on your LAN, but still doesn't share the RAM as a file system.

The only time I've ever seen a PPCs file system as shared is via a Citrix connection - it maps local drives as a drive within the Citrix session. The PPC Citrix client maps the entire PPC as one drive, with storage cards just being a folder off of the root.

darkroom
09-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Ah, now we're getting somewhere! Thanks for the tip on Citrix... I have no idea what/where it is, but I'll do some reaarch. If you have any URLs or tips, please do tell!

Thanks!

Ed Hansberry
09-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Ah, now we're getting somewhere! Thanks for the tip on Citrix... I have no idea what/where it is, but I'll do some reaarch. If you have any URLs or tips, please do tell!

www.citrix.com - an enterprise app that sits on top of Windows NT 4 Terminal Server or Windows 2000 Server in Terminal Server mode. Expensive. The client requires the Citrix ICA protocol, so you can't just use plain Win2K Terminal Server - that uses RDP.

Jimmy Dodd
09-09-2002, 03:57 PM
It sounds to me like you want an NFS server (or the MS Windows version) on the PPC. Do any third parties have one of those? Maybe someone could build Samba for the PPC. :wink:

Also, doesn't the Platform Developer for PPC2k2 have an http server module? You might be able to serve up an Excel file via that - though it would take some development work.

TIKI
09-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Try Pocket controller from http://www.soti.net
Feature Summary:
View and control your Pocket PC from your desktop, using your desktop screen, keyboard and mouse. Enter data at high speed using your desktop keyboard
Enlarge or shrink the Pocket PC screen to suit your taste
Create recordings suitable for software training or demonstrations
Use the Remote DOS Box tool to remotely execute DOS commands
View your Pocket PC in a skin. Skins for most Pocket PCs are available
Full Screen Background Mode, allows users to use solid color or HTML backgrounds, ideal for presentations
Wysiwyg printing, print screens in 1X, 2X, 3X, landscape, or in a skin
Capture Pocket PC screens and save them to disk
Save Pocket PC screen to desktop computer clipboard
Integrated Clipboard, transfer data between Pocket PC clipboard and the desktop clipboard. Automatically Synchronize desktop and mobile device clipboards.
Explore Tool, allows file transfer with ActiveSync or TCP/IP connection

User Security, create administrator and user accounts, allow/deny privileged, allow users to accept/reject remote control session requests, Authentication, Encryption
Macro Recording/Playback, record keystrokes and mouse events to a macro file that can be played back. Macro files are text files that can be edited and customized.
View Pocket PC screen is portrait or landscape modes
Activate/Stop applications and processes, view detailed process information (i.e. DLLs loaded, threads information etc.).
View Pocket PC utilization and system information, from your desktop computer
Can be configured to automatically start/stopwhen you dock/un-dock your Pocket PC
Full keyboard support, including support for hardware "Application Buttons"
Online documentation
Connect via ActiveSync or Wired/Wireless TCP/IP
Configure multiple Connection profiles, multiple TCP/IP addresses, control multiple Pocket PC devices simultaneously by running multiple instances of Pocket Controller
I am not related to or a salesman of SOTI.
Just convinced that this program is a must have!!!

Jason Dunn
09-10-2002, 02:47 PM
Good find Tiki! I forgot about Pocket Controller...so many features it's hard to remember them all. :lol:

darkroom
09-10-2002, 11:19 PM
That was an excellent suggestion, but unfortunately, though it allows me to browse the files on the PPC, I can't get to the files on the PPC from the application on the desktop. One of the new leads I got (from soti, BTW) was:

http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/networkutils.htm

close...but as far as I can tell, no cigar...yet.

Thanks!