View Full Version : Wireless internet not working

rdm123
09-02-2002, 03:53 AM
Just bought a Toshiba e740 with Wifi. I have an SMC wireless router attached to a cable modem, where my other PC can get onto the internet thru wireless connection.

Tried configuring e740, appears to recognize the SMC - shows scan signal 80%, and TxRate of 11Mbps. However, Internet Explorer doesn't connect, just waits a long time and then returns message: "The page you are looking for cannot be found."

Do I have a configuration problem with wifi, connection, or something else? Please help! Thanks

smashcasi
09-02-2002, 08:10 AM
My guess would be that your problem lies in the connection manager settings. I think you'll find the second part (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2785) of the WLAN setup guide on this site to be of help.

If you still run into trouble and have any kind encryption enabled on the access point, I would try turning it off. I'm not sure if Toshiba has addressed the problem yet, but in my experience their drivers have some issues with certain types of encryption.

rdm123
09-18-2002, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It turned out that I needed to adjust setting in my SMC router to enable MAC Address control. That was the issue all along.

e740 is a terrific device. Now only wish I could get through many web pages that are for signing in with password. eg, MY Yahoo prompts for userid and pword, but then Internet explorer pops up a box saying the "page cannot be found.."

Any ideas?

fracguru
09-20-2002, 04:52 AM
Now only wish I could get through many web pages that are for signing in with password. eg, MY Yahoo prompts for userid and pword, but then Internet explorer pops up a box saying the "page cannot be found.."

Any ideas?

I have this exact problem. If you find the answer, please post it here and I will do the same.

fracguru

Steven Cedrone
09-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Now only wish I could get through many web pages that are for signing in with password. eg, MY Yahoo prompts for userid and pword, but then Internet explorer pops up a box saying the "page cannot be found.."

Any ideas?

I have this exact problem. If you find the answer, please post it here and I will do the same.

fracguru

Just a thought, try MultiIE (http://www.zipworld.com.au/~peterept/). It may be that you need to be able to pop up a second PIE window...

Steve

rdm123
09-22-2002, 04:46 PM
I installed multiIE and it did not solve the issue of my inability to login to certain web pages (eg, my Yahoo). The only program that has allowed me is Thunderhawk, but there are still 2 issues with that program:

1) Thunderhawk charges a very hefty fee
2) Have to enter same username and password every time (no cookies in Thunderhawk?)