View Full Version : Ipaq and internet camera

yeche
09-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Do you have any suggestion for internet camera to use with my Ipaq 3970?
I will be very happy to hear from experience before buying one?
What brand to buy?

MultiMatt
09-06-2002, 02:55 AM
Do you mean the CF cameras? If so, I can say that the hp CF Camera works pretty well on the iPAQ, with the addition of the mmVISION software (you need that to run the hp camera on the iPAQ). The software runs ~$25 USD.

I've also used the Pretec CF camera, and it runs just fine without additional software.

The hp camera runs ~$130 USD (plus that software...)
The Pretec low-rez camera is ~$99 USD, the hi-rez is ~$199....

Hope that helps!

Matt

yeche
09-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Thank you for your help
Can you put links for sites where I can buy the cameras? :?:
Thanks

MultiMatt
09-08-2002, 06:32 PM
http://www.MobilePlanet.com has both the hp CF camera ($139) as well as the Pretec CF camera ($99).
Keep in mind, if you get the hp camera, you need to get the iPictures software, and that is available at http://www.Handango.com for $24.98...

I'd personally go with the Pretec camera...

My opinion...

Matt

yeche
09-09-2002, 08:32 AM
Do you know where I can find the hi-rez pretec camera as I think that it is best to buy the hi-rez
What is you opinion?
Thanks

Jason Dunn
09-09-2002, 05:01 PM
The high resolution 1.3 MP camera hasn't been officially released yet - they're working on some issues with it. I had an early unit, so I can say that I'm very glad they're going to improve it. :)

J.C.Port
09-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I have a Pretec CF camera .3 Mpix and it works +/- for current pictures
but I think the HP Camera it was a better choise with mVision.

1) With HP camera and Microsoft Portrait 1.5 you can experience Videoconference.

2)you can only share Audio/ Video Files taken with Pretec ( *mmf files)
with other's Pretec CompacCamera user's.

Martin I Pettinger
09-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Hi

I am intrigued about the comment about using a HP camera and Microsoft Portrait to do Video Conferencing. Can you point me to somewhere that has information on how you do this? Is Microsoft Portrait free or do you need to purchase it.

Martin

MultiMatt
09-11-2002, 08:05 PM
I agree with J.C. Port's statement on the Pretec .mmf files:
2)you can only share Audio/ Video Files taken with Pretec ( *mmf files)
with other's Pretec CompacCamera user's.

The mmVISION software used with the hp camera allows a user to convert a video file into either an .avi file, or as it's own stand-alone exe file that will play on anyone's pc.
Pretec's codec is proprietary, and that is a pain in the butt.

I have asked them (Pretec) about the possibility of a future add-on to the software that will allow saving a video clip to a more conventional format, but have heard no answer....

Matt

Alex57
09-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Hi

I am intrigued about the comment about using a HP camera and Microsoft Portrait to do Video Conferencing. Can you point me to somewhere that has information on how you do this? Is Microsoft Portrait free or do you need to purchase it.

Martin

Check this:

http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait/

It's not even MS product.

And only HP camera works with it.

Martin I Pettinger
09-14-2002, 10:17 AM
Hi

I have looked at Microsoft Portrait and unless I'm mistaken it looks like I can install Microsoft Portrait on my iPAQ 3850 even though I've not got a CF sleeve and CF camera at present.

Now a colleague in Inverness has a web cam on his PC. When we are both connected to our company network I think it is possible for me to find his IP address.

Therefore if I have my iPAQ connected via ActiveSync 3.5 can I place a call via my PocketPC. In this case 1) can we use IP telephony , 2) can I see him via his web cam which is connected to his Windows 2000 machine.

Only thing that will prevent me testing this at present could be my laptop which is NT4 - I am due for a replacement machine soon though which will be a Windows 2000 machine (Roll on USB :-))

Martin