View Full Version : e740 USB - any good for digicam?

monkeyface
09-01-2002, 06:28 PM
I understand the e740 has a USB host built in. Does this mean a driver could be written for my Canon Ixus? (Not that Canon would bother, I imagine!).

lonewolf69
09-01-2002, 11:42 PM
Monkey,

You misunderstood, the E740 does not have buiilt-in interface with their unit, it comes with a USB Docking Cradle and for additional $$$ ($99.00) you can purchase an ADD-ON module which would sport a USB connector, VGA (RGB/Monitor OUT) connection and PASS-THROUGH DOCKING port so the unit would still be DOCKABLE without having to remove the add-on piece...

I was so VERY VERY tempted to purchase this unit BUT the RGB out ONLY works with ATI's IA presenter application, NO other APPS (someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's what it says on Toshiba's own web site!!!), I'm a little bit put off on ordering this then JUST for USB connection alone...

If someone proves me wrong I'll gladly purchase this add-on piece...

I have NO IDEA whether or not the ADD-ON's USB connection will be:

a.) compatible with your Canon Digicam
b.) if compatible, to what extent would it's usefulness be to you

Either way good luck with the unit, if you want you should be able to see the E740 at your local CompUSA or read about it on the ONLINE reviews...

-Alex

monkeyface
09-02-2002, 11:05 PM
I got the unit today, very pleased so far. A few audio glitches, but none of the "issues."

The utility of being able to connect to my camera would be to use the 740 as a storage / display device (the cam can't use a microdrive).

lonewolf69
09-03-2002, 03:49 AM
Monkey,

That's exactly ONE of my many uses for the PocketPC... I take pictures with my Digital Camera and then just insert the CF card into the slot and presto I get to VIEW my pictures!!!

Good luck!!!

-Alex

PS. E740 doesn't/can't use the IBM 340mb Microdrive ONLY the 1.0gb IBM Microdrive or better... Something about the voltage either not enough or too much but wasn't an issue with the NEWER 1.0 GB version...

Gremmie
09-05-2002, 04:42 AM
PS. E740 doesn't/can't use the IBM 340mb Microdrive ONLY the 1.0gb IBM Microdrive or better... Something about the voltage either not enough or too much but wasn't an issue with the NEWER 1.0 GB version...

The RPM's on the 1GB was lowered because the 340 used a lot of power, so even though it is bigger, the 1GB is more power efficient

IanG
09-11-2002, 08:11 PM
monkeyface - just tried plugging my Canon A40 into my e740 and it asks for a usb driver. So I guess if someone were to write a driver this would be possible

lonewolf - the vga out is used with the IA screen mirror program, which can send any app to the monitor.

Later

Ian G

Jimmy Dodd
09-11-2002, 09:20 PM
For those who have one: the add-on unit has the USB port and the VGA port on the bottom, right? So you can't have the e740 in the cradle and hook it up to a monitor or use the USB port at the same time. Is that correct?