View Full Version : Can you switch keys on the iPAQ 3800 keyboard from Compaq?

bblock
09-01-2002, 03:37 PM
I finally got to try out the Compaq collapsible keyboard for the iPAQ 3800 series. I love it, with one major exception - to the right of the question mark key (the last one on the right, bottom row) they put the up arrow, and to the right of that, the shift key. The shift key is only one 'finger' wide, which I understand, but when I put my fingers on home position to touch-type (which I can do even on that keyboard), my RH pinky sits on the up-arrow, and since that moves the cursor, I end up with a real mess while typing.

What I want to know is: is there any way, either via software or a hardware modification (I have a small soldering iron) to switch the shift and up-arrow keys? Otherwise, and once again, an almost perfect solution has been rendered almost completely useless for me by somebody who wasn't thinking.

Thanks for anyone's suggestions. And yes, I know there are other keyboards out there, but I really didn't want one with an adapter, like the Stowaway, and in all other aspects, the Compaq unit is great.

renz
09-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Hi, I have the keyboard and the same problem. IŽd prefer a change in the driver over a soldering iron, though. :wink: