View Full Version : Whilst shopping today - Is this too good to be true?

Martin I Pettinger
08-30-2002, 09:54 PM
Hi

Unless I am naive am I getting a mobile phone, extra battery and other expandibility options for £14 a month? Please read on:

Tonight I went window shopping for my partner's birthday which is next week. I work in Edinburgh (Scotland's Capital City) and went to the Gyle Shopping Centre.

One of the things my partner would like is a mobile phone - yes we are a non mobile phone family. Strange thing is we are a EPOC, CE 1.0, CE 2.11 and CE 3.0 family.

We both used to have phones - my partner had one for work, I had one before they became common-place. For one reason or another we both gave them up.

Anyway whilst shopping I visited a few mobile phone stores and got chatting to a salesmen about how I could connect my iPAQ to my ISP via IR.

He asked what device I had (iPAQ 3850) and then asked if I was interested in a PCMCIA Jacket as he thought it was being sold cheap (Targus Stowaway for the iPAQ 3700 series was £20.)

Unfortunately they've got new computer tills and the price came up at £90. Now he asked if I wanted to come back next week and he would try and better the price and get my iPAQ working via IR to my ISP.

Question is if I can negotiate a price of say £50 for the jacket is it worth it - i.e. does the adaptor have an extra battery in it. Also I think there are cheap adaptors for CF and I was looking at a CF sleeve anyway.

I looked up the jacket on expansys.com: and saw this deal. I.e. for £14 monthly I can have a PCMCIA jacket and GSM card for free. Contract is 24 months but this seems like a good deal:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=IPAQ-GSM

Question is how good is the reception and does the phone software come with the GSM card.

Other things I saw whilst out was Toshiba e310 for £299 - seems a good UK price to me. I also read that ActiveSync 3.5 doesn't work with bluetooth - i.e. cannot sync via BT - is this true.

Oh before anyone asks I found a lovely eternity ring for my partner :-) Look forward to comments

Martin