View Full Version : Mysterious CF Card Problem in iPAQ

AKL114
08-29-2002, 03:29 PM
Hardware: iPAQ 3765; PDAMotion SS-2, Mr. Flash 256mb cf card.

Yeseterday had approx 200 mb of data, including mp3 and other media files, cf backup, outlook mail attachments.
Lo and behold, on the commuter train this morning booted up Media Player and discovered that all the media was gone, only playlists remained.
File explorer shows no trace of missing files and here's the really weird thing; status bar still shows that CF card is 83% full!
What the heck is going on here?
Can anyone help?

: :!: :!: :!: NEW INFO ADDED! loaded the cf card into my laptop when I got home, used file explorer and foudd some 65 "found files" w/ chk extension. "Chk" is a checkdisk recovery extension as far as I know. Properties for file show recovered fragments. Tested a few by changing extension to MP3, got one to work.

Does Anyone Have an Explanation (or even an inkling) of what happened?

Thanks.

AKL114
08-29-2002, 04:06 PM
8O
Here' something else to condiser. I downloaded and installed "Battery Pack 2002" yesterday.

I found a file on the cf card called ignore_my_docs
It is a hidden file of 0 bytes. Norton does not recognize it.

wbush
05-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I have had the same thing happen on an SD card recently in a Dell Axim recently. Did you ever find out what caused your problem?

Chris Spera
05-02-2003, 09:00 PM

This is a system file that PPC 2002 puts in some directories. No worries. this one is fine.

As for the original problem of this thread, do you have Storage Tools from SoftWinter; or some other "disk" checking tool on your iPAQ?

if not, then I'm not exactly sure how your card got scrambled...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Janak Parekh
05-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Sounds like the card was corrupted to some extent. It might be a fluke, or a bad card. You might want to run Scandisk/CHKDSK on your laptop with repair and see what turns up. You might have to reformat the card, or in the worst case, replace it. :(

--janak

Pony99CA
05-03-2003, 10:17 AM
This is a system file that PPC 2002 puts in some directories. No worries. this one is fine.
Actually, whether it's fine or not depends on what you want. That file prevents applications from searching any My Documents folder on a storage card (and searches the root, I think).

If you want a My Documents folder on your storage card, create it and then delete ignore_my_docs.

For more information, check out the "Ignore_my_docs - very frustrating" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2863).

Steve