View Full Version : Yet another newbie question about Media Player

BertBert
08-28-2002, 02:18 PM
I transferred several WMA files from my desktop PC this morning to my e310's storage card so I could take them into work and put them on my work PC. When I had them on the e310, I tried to play them on Media Player and got the following error screen:

The license for this file cannot be found. Use Windows Media Player on your PC to copy the file to your device again.

The thing is, I did use Windows Media Player on my home PC to copy the files! And when I got into work this morning and copied the files from the storage card to my laptop, they played fine on the laptop but I still get this error message on the e310.

There should be no copyright protection issues here, since these were songs my band recorded and which I burned onto a CD-RW myself. What's more, I tried copying a song from a Beatles CD to the e310 when I first got the e310, and everything worked fine. (I was using my work PC then, not the home PC.)

Any ideas? Is this one of those issues that newbies don't know about but everybody else does? :?

Jason Dunn
08-28-2002, 03:39 PM
When you ripped the CD audio tracks to WMA format, did you un-check the box in the OPTIONS > COPY MUSIC that says "Protect Content"? It sounds like the files you ripped are protected with DRM - the only option is to re-rip them or you'll have hassles like this for a long time...

BertBert
08-28-2002, 06:29 PM
It's been months since I ripped the songs off the CD, so I have no idea. I will definitely look out for that when I do this again though.

For the record, I re-transfered the music file from my work PC back onto the e310 and everything played OK. So it must be some local setting like Jason just mentioned that's only on my home PC.

ECOslin
08-31-2002, 06:27 AM
Yep, Your music files are secured. Real Audio does this as well.

If your Hard Drive or Windows crashes and you are forced to re-install, bye-bye music.
If you buy a new computer and transfer files to it, your music is toast.

Your only option is to re-MP3 the file again, carefully making sure encryption is turned off.

It is the computer support person, usually on-site, that bears the consumers wrath when they are told this. Thanks MS and Real, I really appreciate you trashing my workday.

Edward