View Full Version : RealPlayer 1.1 PREVIEW released for the Pocket PC

Jason Dunn
08-21-2002, 05:26 PM
<a href="http://www.real.com/realonemobile/download.html?thanks=true&device=Compaq%20iPAQ%20H3600,%20H3700,%20and%20H3800%20Series">http://www.real.com/realonemobile/download.html?thanks=true&device=Compaq%20iPAQ%20H3600,%20H3700,%20and%20H3800%20Series</a><br /><br />If you're a big fan of RealAudio and RealVideo, Humphrey Riley informed us that Real has a new version out that supports RealVideo 9. More software is always good, so even though I won't likely use it myself, way to go Real for releasing it!

Foo Fighter
08-21-2002, 05:33 PM
This is a preview release. Not an official release.

Jason Dunn
08-21-2002, 05:36 PM
Gosh. I'm sorry. :roll: Posted edited to reflect that - I wouldn't want to upset other people. :wink:

ajnemasis
08-21-2002, 05:40 PM
Has anyone tried using it yet? If so, How well does it work?

Foo Fighter
08-21-2002, 05:43 PM
Gosh. I'm sorry. :roll: - I wouldn't want to upset other people. :wink:

Why would this upset me? I just wanted to warn you, and others, that this is "preview" code...which means that bugs are very likely.

If you had upset me, I would have replied IN ALL CAPS! :P :wink:

PhatCohiba
08-21-2002, 07:05 PM
I've been using the existing version for about a month. It works suprisingly well with audio and ok with video. I use it to listen to patriots.com's huge audio/video content. The installer never worked for me, it gave me an error about activesync version. I went to my temp directory and grabbed the cab file and installed it manually.

i also frequently need to extract the correct liks from non ppc web sites. i.e. rtsp://real.vod.smc.net/customers/binarypro/patriots/001592.rm

good luck.

3850 + 802.11b=sweetness.

mgd
08-21-2002, 07:28 PM
I've been using this version for about a month (note: the version number on the about screen is 2.0.0.28 ) to watch C-SPAN, CNN and FOX News streams over my ADSL connection via WiFi. Video streams cut off after a short while, something that did not happen using the previous version--er, well at least I was able to watch a few hours of video before it cut off.

Gerard
08-21-2002, 08:52 PM
With some fear, and after having made two complete backups to different types of external media, I installed this last week. The earlier version had locked up at launch every time, and wasn't too hard to extricate from my iPAQ. This one launched, surprisingly, and actually worked on first attempt. I am having trouble with a lot of RM and RAM links, like those with the http: prefix, even if I modify them as noted above, but others work fine. Video over dialup is a joke, but a slideshow is sometimes better than nothing at all. For audio, this is actually almost as nice as the streams I get in Windows Media Player Technology Preview Edition beta 2, and RA links are far more plentiful on the web (for lord knows what reason!) than ASF/ASX stuff. Looks like I'll have to eat my words of an earlier date and keep this player around for a while. Maybe the actual full release will allow more links to open. That'd be good.

yellow1
08-21-2002, 09:05 PM
mgd - where do ou get your video content ? A lot of it is hidden in pop-ups these days and it's not very PPC friendly !

dbrahms
08-21-2002, 11:13 PM
has anyone created real video content for ipaq? Perhaps you may have an optimal bitrate rather than messing around with real-producer 100 diff times? using an ipaq 3975...80kb plays just fine. the only other sample i could find is 250kb which plays the audio but video is blank.

nobody
08-22-2002, 12:03 AM
I have some old movies in .rm. I tried both version with no success. Terrible products! You would think at least they can play their own desktop .rm. But non of them play at all. Maybe because of high bitrate, but the high bitrate video quality is already miserable!