View Full Version : Ebook Heaven

welwyngc
08-20-2002, 01:07 PM
As you know, there are three major SW ebook reading programs

MS Reader
Palm Reader
Acrobat Ebook Reader (still waiting for the PPC version).

The general concensus has been that ebooks have not caught on with the reading public as much as was anticipated.

However, I have noticed a couple of events which make me think that this is now (finally) changing:

The very day UP COUNTRY by Nelson Demille was available in hardcover at Amazon it was also available in ebook format.

Christopher Reich's new book THE FIRST MILLION is available in ebook format (Palm Reader).

So two very succesful commercial authors releasing the ebook versions almost simultaneously as the hard cover version

It also seems to me that PalmReader is doing a better job in making ebook versions available.

Jorgen
08-21-2002, 08:29 PM
You forgot the Mobipocket reader (mobireader) from http://195.68.2.74/en/HomePage/default.asp.

Acrobat has a very unfriendly digital rights management (DRM) system - far worse than MS Reader's DRM-5 in my opinion.

I read loads of ebooks on my Palm 505 and hp-568 (and 548). Years ago, I used to buy from PeanutPress but with four creditcard number to keep track of (PP has not succeeded to get them changed to one creditcard as promised and is ignoring me), I have stopped buying from them. This is unfortunate as I could otherwise live with their DRM system.

I can recommend www.fictionwise.com: most books are DRM-free books available in multiple formats. They have unfortunately started on books in DRM formats.

Jorgen

welwyngc
08-21-2002, 09:30 PM
). '...Years ago, I used to buy from PeanutPress but with four creditcard number to keep track of (PP has not succeeded to get them changed to one creditcard as promised and is ignoring me)...'

Jorgen

Maybe I am wrong here but I believe that you are mistaken.

My understanding is that as you change your credit card number at palmreader then any subsequent downloads of new or previously purchased ebooks- they identify with the new cc number! -

But obviously this would not be the case for any ebooks that you had previously downloaded under a different cc number. So why not just redownload those ebooks that you use on a regular basis. They will attach to your latest cc number registered at Palmreader.

Coralie
10-14-2002, 09:16 AM
jorgen, i agree with you about fictionwise (about them being good, that is). they seem to have one of the largest range of ebooks & my research has shown them to be the cheapest at least 95% of the time. some of the price variances between ebook companies have been incredible!

Evee Ev
10-21-2002, 03:27 PM
how do you get those stinkin' palm reader books on the ipaq. i've downloaded one but i'm not sure how to get the .pdb file onto the ipaq so that i can open the book. my palm reader app just says, "no books open". what gives?