View Full Version : Selling freeware???

jlp
08-20-2002, 04:08 AM
Well I just came across this company that sells at least 2 products that are available as freeware from their author AFAIK and up to now.

First is Gigabar 1.58 (http://216.71.8.119/cgi-bin/software.cgi?Search=&extra2=765630), while the other is AFAICT Leo Flight Sim (http://216.71.8.119/cgi-bin/software.cgi?Search=&extra2=765676)

What do you think about this practice?

jlp
08-20-2002, 04:17 AM
Furthermore they dare call themselves "the #1 source for Palm and Pocket PC software" and they only have a handful of titles, including the at least 3-4 years old Scrabble and Monopoly for Palm-size PCs (B/W only) and HPCs (B/W & color).

All this is an aweful shame!!!

Brad Adrian
08-20-2002, 01:09 PM
I've seen several CDs in stores that offer collections of freeware and demoware. While I agree that it's not necessarily a bargain, some people might consider it helpful to have software compiled for them onto one CD. I'm no lawyer, but I assume they would need permission from the developers in order to distribute the software.

JvanEkris
08-20-2002, 01:47 PM
However, isn't it against the principle of freeware to sell it ??

Jaap

marlof
08-20-2002, 02:08 PM
However, isn't it against the principle of freeware to sell it ??

Not only against the principle, but in most cases also again the distribution policy. Most freeware may be distributed freely, but you may not charge for your distribution. Many people mistake "it's free to use" with "it's free for me to exploit".

JvanEkris
08-20-2002, 02:39 PM
The last is of course providing that the author did not approve of it (or wasn't asked in the first place)...

Jaap

Jason Dunn
08-20-2002, 04:05 PM
The last is of course providing that the author did not approve of it (or wasn't asked in the first place)...

And that's the real key. Since this is a concern for you, I suggest you contact the developers of the apps and ask them if this site is selling the apps with their permission. Something smells a little fishy here...let me know what you find out!

jlp
08-20-2002, 11:51 PM
Brad,

This was NO compilations of freeware/shareware apps, in which case they would be selling the service of downloading, collecting, sorting, CD pressing, distribution, etc. That would be ok provided the price is decent.

NO these guys are selling individual freeware apps, totally different.