View Full Version : Who else is disappointed with the Today Screen?

Martin I Pettinger
08-17-2002, 11:47 PM
Maybe it’s just me but I do not feel that the standard today screen does a PPC 2002 justice. I have an iPAQ 3850 and I have been experimenting with Gigabar v1.58 which I like, Dashboard which I am stuggling to master (I did install v1.2 d from the Compaq site) and now Wisbar v1.1.0.

I have downloaded some Dashboard Skins to try which have Wisbar support but I cannot seem to get the Wisbar bit to work. When I download the Dashboard Skins I save them in Program Files\Compaq\Dashboard\Skins\

Wisbar does not pick up the bitmaps though as it only seems to pick up files under My Documents. Oh I have also learnt not to automatically convert the bmp’s via Active Sync. Is it because I am using Compaq Dash v1.2 d rather than the “commercial” version.

Now that I can skin the top bit and the middle bit what about the bottom bit. Seeing a grey bar with New in the bottom left corner is a bit dull – can this bit be skinned too. Is it just me or do other PocketPC users lament the lack of customisation for the today screen. Why is everything so square!

Brad Adrian
08-18-2002, 12:22 AM
So, is your point that there's not enough information available on your Today screen or that there's not enough cool eye candy? Either way, there are TONS of add-ins that should be able to do just about anything you want.

Martin I Pettinger
08-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Hi

I agree there are a lot of plug-ins. Looking at the snoopsoft site for dashboard it gives the impression that the whole screen can be skinned - but I am guessing that this is PPC 2000 only.

I have used Windows CE 1.0 and 2.0 before and you could change the colour scheme - place icons where you wanted them and unless I was imagining things you could change the fonts. None of this needed add ons.

I feel that PPC 2002 has taken a step backwards in terms of "eye candy" At the moment I am trying to master tsk files, tweak registry for fonts, learn dashboard, wisbar and gigabar.

Martin

bdeli
08-18-2002, 05:54 PM
There is a Dashboard for PocketPC 2002 as well. Actually Dashboard has been going through quite some updates and the latest release is 1.5x.

As for the Today Screen, you can do a search since there are loads of plugins you can use - and a lot of them come for free. You can also try to create your own theme.

I did not understand exactly how can you "place icons where you wanted them and unless I was imagining things you could change the fonts. None of this needed add ons. " I have a Windows CE 2.0 device - still working.... and up to my knowledge you cannot do that much customization.

bdeli
08-18-2002, 06:06 PM
This is my today screen with Wisbar (icbar) running and some plugins:

Evee Ev
08-19-2002, 03:14 PM
Question...can you run the IcBar along with Wisbar or is it one or the other? And, i don't see the Apple icons on the IcBar site...where can I get them? Thanks.

bdeli
08-19-2002, 05:54 PM
The author of wisbar had discontinued working on Wisbar a few months ago. Up to my knowledge three people - Ictinus for Icbar http://www.ictinus.com/icbar/ and Pelmar - http://www.pelmarinc.com/pocketpc.htm have worked/are working on new versions of wisbar. You can check the websites out for you to download and try the two versions.

Also the apple icon is part of a skin. You can skin wisbar in any way you like - so when you are at these pages downloading the software, take a look at the skins available.

Last thing, Pelmar's Wisbar is fully integrated with Dasboard 1.5x. If a theme is changed, it will also alter the wisbar theme. It is not supported with Ictinus Icbar - though I presonally prefer the latter!

Martin I Pettinger
08-21-2002, 09:51 PM
bdeli

I like your screen - couple of questions.

1) How do you get all the little program icons underneath the Wisbar
2) What is the plug-in which displays battery charge, memory space etc.

I've had more joy setting up dashboard and wisbar. As I have the Compaq Dashboard 1.2d not 1.5 I have to set up the Wisbar manually.

A final question does Dashboard 1.5 allow e-mail accounts other than ActiveSync - i.e. POP3 accounts.

Dashboard also seems slow on my iPAQ 3850

Martin

bdeli
08-21-2002, 10:10 PM
Martin,

I decided not to use Dashboard any longer since it slows down my iPAQ - so decided to use the today screen..

I am currently using tdLaunch for the icons - http://www.nakka.com/soft/ptools/

For the Battery Meter/Storage Meters I am using Powerlevel - http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_pl_2_overview.html (This is not freeware)

There are more freeware apps you can load for Calendar and Tasks display. I am also using Phone Today from Burr Oak Software to display my BT cell phone connection status.

Ravenswing
08-22-2002, 02:22 PM
About the most useful add-in I've found so far is located here (http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kohgo/index_en.html). It displays appointments and tasks in a convenient small package and doesn't take up vast amounts of space in my (restricted) memory.

CityTime Today is also pretty cool for travelling.