View Full Version : Intel rolls up its sleeves to help with X-Scale optimization

Ed Hansberry
08-15-2002, 12:00 AM
<a href="http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1040-949846.html?type=pt&amp;part=msnbc&amp;tag=alert&amp;form=feed&amp;subj=cnetnews">http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1040-949846.html?type=pt&amp;part=msnbc&amp;tag=alert&amp;form=feed&amp;subj=cnetnews</a><br /><br />Most of you know the rocky start and finger pointing that has gone on between Microsoft, OEM's and Intel on who is at fault for the Pocket PC 2002 devices now shipping with the 400MHz X-Scale not performing much better than the current 206MHz StrongARM devices. This old <a href="http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1040-939328.html">CNET article has more info</a>. Well, Intel is opening up a lab to help rectify the situation. "The chipmaker opened a new lab this week to help software developers increase performance of applications that run on portable devices using its XScale PXA processor. Located in Chandler, Ariz., the lab is part of Intel's Wireless Communications and Computing Group."<br /><br />"The program is free to developers and response has been greater than expected, said Forni, adding that the first month of lab time has already been reserved. Intel is working with large companies such as IBM, Macromedia and BEA, as well as smaller vertical application companies, such as Dendrite and Allscript." Intel will also open up labs in Stockholm, Sweden and Shanghai. Thanks to Jim Mulder for the link.

JonnoB
08-15-2002, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately however, until the MS development tools are made available to target the platform specifically, there will be few enhancements made as each developer would have to optimize their compiled object code on their own... or alternatively, MS would have to make the OS more XScale intelligent at run-time... and I doubt we will see any major OS improvements until the next Pocket PC OS update.

butch
08-15-2002, 01:45 AM
I don't really know the way the Xcale is made, but if Intel played the same Mhz game that with the P4 (a P4 1.5Ghz being about as fast as a PIII 1Ghz) we shouldn't expect much speed improvement until they launch a faster CPU...
But optimized apps won't be a bad thing...

Bob Anderson
08-15-2002, 06:07 AM
Well, I'm of the opinion that if Intel is willing to put forth some resources to make a difference with the processor, then this is about as good of news as we can get.

I'm convinced that buying one of these new processors today will reap significant rewards when the next PocketPC operating system is released... and if Intel can help make today's apps run better in the meantime, then more power to 'em.

Right now, my only debate is whether to buy the new iPaq w/bluetooth or go for the Toshiba with integrated 802.11b! I know they both have the 400 mhz Xscale, so it's a "non-issue" in my book.

Pony99CA
08-15-2002, 06:34 AM
I'm convinced that buying one of these new processors today will reap significant rewards when the next PocketPC operating system is released...

And if the 32MB Flash ROM in most Pocket PCs will hold that new OS. I'd hate to see a repeat of the Pocket PC 2002 upgrade where significant components had to be installed in RAM.

I had a 32 MB iPAQ 3650 that was almost out of RAM, and instead of paying $40 for Pocket PC 2002 and fighting with RAM, I just bought an iPAQ 3870 instead.

I'm wondering if the iPAQ 3970 has 48 MB Flash ROM for that reason.

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
08-15-2002, 11:38 AM
About time too! Get them programs smokin!

I really hope that the next edition of PPC will fit in 32Mb of RAM as that is all my soon-to-arrive (got an email that said it had been shipped to me yesterday) LOOX has got.

farnold
08-15-2002, 11:54 AM
"The program is free to developers and response has been greater than expected, said Forni, adding that the first month of lab time has already been reserved. Intel is working with large companies such as IBM, Macromedia and BEA, as well as smaller vertical application companies, such as Dendrite and Allscript."

OK, INTEL is doing something - better late than never. But can someone explain to me, why MS is not taking part in this? Will that at all lead to anything significant without MS?

dondiego
08-15-2002, 06:26 PM
Look in the Jameson (4.1) release of PB for better xscale tools. Unfortunately I have no idea when/if official MS SDK's for eVC will be released... MS is certainly taking part, its just that they have never really been concerned about speed performance. Historically their entire problem was fitting WinCE in ROM so space was much more of a concern. Now that costs have come down so much that size isn't the same issue it was even 2 years ago they are able to start paying attention to speed. It will continue to improve as MS finally adapts and learns what the market wants.