View Full Version : Power to the people

Andy Sjostrom
08-14-2002, 01:03 AM
<a href="http://www.mtimicrofuelcells.com/article.cfm?a_id=4065">http://www.mtimicrofuelcells.com/article.cfm?a_id=4065</a><br /><br />The question is not if, but when. MTI MicroFuel Cells recently demonstrated a methanol micro fuel cell prototype system. According to the company this architecture is nearing commercialization.<br /><br />"The prototype demonstrated 0.24 watt-hours per cubic centimeter ("cc") of fuel consumed and is projected to yield up to five watt-hours of energy content. The prototype includes a replaceable methanol fuel cartridge, requires no pumps and works in any orientation (e.g., "upside down"). MTI Micro completed the prototype two months ahead of schedule and met its stated milestone of a 50 percent reduction in size from that of its October 2001 prototype." (Thanks to Oliver (commander66) for the link!)

Kre
08-14-2002, 12:52 PM
Well its about time! :wink:

But seriously, it really is overdue. Battery life is one of the, if not the biggest obstacle to our devices becoming really practical and useful.

I read about this technology recently, and Im excited about it. If anyone feels battery life needs improvement in many devices, its me. I know that Toshiba and other companies that I cant think of right off the top of my head, are involved in developing these types of batteries. Supposedly theyll run a notebook computer for an entire day, and give a cell phone an entire week of talk time... not a week of standby, but a week of talk time. Amazing if you ask me. And what a breath of fresh air that will be! I cannot wait to see what it does for handhelds. This looks like the technology that will finally break the battery barriers that weve had forever and a day, and allow devices the freedom to become truly useful tools, instead of dead paperweights after a few hours.

Im tellin ya, they couldnt get this out on the market soon enough, IMO.

8) 8) 8)

JMountford
08-14-2002, 02:14 PM
The technology looks promising, but it seems that they have a long way to go yet. Better batteries would make all of our lives a lot easier. Looks like it is still a ways off yet though.

Will T Smith
08-14-2002, 06:02 PM
To fuel cells is their waste products.

Traditional Batteries make HEAT when they discharge.

Fuel cells make water. Evaporate the water and you get a cooling systems. Future notebooks will have fuel cell systems integrated into the display holder. Their it can effectively evaporate water and rid the system of heat.

danmanmayer
08-14-2002, 11:47 PM
I am buying a fuel cell the first time somewhere sells one about the size of a portable harddrive iwth a standard outlet in it. Also i am going to buy a hybrid car. Which is completely different yet cool all the same. Giddy finally some semiclean and efficient energy.