View Full Version : Toshiba Tech Support Part 2: Son of a...

Jason Dunn
08-13-2002, 09:00 PM
A few weeks ago I <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2349">posted a thought</a> about Toshiba tech support. My e570 had a strange flickering at the bottom of the screen, and I wanted to send the unit in for repair/replacement. I called Toshiba USA, and they were ready to give me an RMA - until I told them I was from Canada and the whole process ground to a halt. They had no idea how to service my Pocket PC - the tech support person said he'd call me back soon with a solution.<br /><br />Weeks go by, and nothing - no phone call. So today I called Toshiba looking for a solution - and was informed that in order for Toshiba USA to service the unit, I would need to ship it to someone in the USA, and Toshiba would send the warranty box to them. Since that's not a great solution, I was referred to Toshiba Canada tech support - and was told that because the unit was purchased in the US, they couldn't offer me warranty support. Back to square one! What a frustrating experience. Compaq didn't care where my device was purchased from - they just fixed it for me. Same with HP.<br /><br />Note to OEMs: a customer is a customer, no matter where they are. Regional barriers only cause problems for your customers.

Brad Adrian
08-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Well, Jason, you've got my mailing address.

Master O'Mayhem
08-13-2002, 09:01 PM
shoulda bought an ipaq :P

mvoosten
08-13-2002, 09:12 PM
Does the flickering look what I described you last week on my Ipaq?

MaximumPDA
08-13-2002, 09:17 PM
You might try emailing their PR contact. You may be supprised at how fast it gets fixed. :)

igreen
08-13-2002, 09:22 PM
Hmmmmmm I wonder if they support their laptops the same way. A sane indivdual would think that support for portable devices would itself be portable. Your e570 might as well be a desktop bolted to your desk.

Chris Spera
08-13-2002, 09:35 PM
I'd also e-mail their PR Contact and let them know who you are. You've got too big a following and audience for them to be pulling this crap.

When they offer to fix it for free, or replace the unit entirely, you should ask them how they would handle this if you werent' a member of the Press. Consistent, well managed Customer Service Processes can make (bad ones can breake) an organization, don't you think..? :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera
-------
pocketnow Writer

pocketnow.com -- it's all about portability...
http://www.pocketnow.com

GadgetDave
08-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Ug. :evil: Stupid for any organization to act that way. I've always had good luck with support in the past, but one never knows, I guess.

I'll be interested to hear how this works out. And I'll be letting our corporate Toshiba rep know about it ... :twisted:

Jeff Rutledge
08-13-2002, 10:24 PM
That's pathetic. I can somewhat understand Toshiba USA's reluctance to service a Canadian customer (somewhat, not entirely though). But I can not excuse Toshiba Canada pulling an "it's not our machine so not our problem" attitude. That's deplorable. To the customer, it's a Toshiba device. Period. I'm amazed that large multinational companies haven't figured this out yet.

nox
08-13-2002, 10:31 PM
Sounds like the whole DVD Region thing are you in REGION 2 , well we can support you. Toshiba is a big company. They need to support their products if im somalia or new zealand

jeff
08-13-2002, 10:31 PM
The flickering at the bottom of the screen is normal. Sending it in for repair won't do anything to help. All e570s and Maestros have it.

There are two solutions. Overclocking the CPU seems to make it go away (and conversely underclocking makes it worse). You can also open the little guy up and adjust a variable resistor which is below the screen on the right hand side. Opening it voids your warranty, but that doesn't seem to be of much value to you anyway.

There are several Brighthand discussions on the flicker and the solutions.

Jeff

mcsouth
08-13-2002, 10:40 PM
It's this type of corporate attitude that concerns me about the prospect of getting a Pocket Loox from Europe - what would I do when it comes time to service the unit, or if I have ( 8O ) warranty problems? In the meantime, the utter ambivalence of Fujitsu USA in announcing their marketing plans leave me little choice. the whole concept of "you pays your money, you'se takes your chances...." is hard to accept when you're talking the $600 or so that these units cost.

I understand that it can be hard for large multinational companies to figure out appropriate regional strategies, but throughout the whole process, they need to remember that a customer is a customer - the level of support that you provide for an 'out-of-region' unit may not be the same that you provide an in-region unit, but you still need to provide support to retain that customer. Strange that in this economy, that it is still hard to grasp that concept.........

Andy Sjostrom
08-13-2002, 10:40 PM
Jason! It's Canada. What would you expect!? :D

davidbaldauff
08-13-2002, 10:42 PM
I was tossed around like a hot potato through various and sundry phone numbers throughout the Toshiba organization. What did I want to know you ask? I just wanted to know what languages the Toshiba Pocket PCs were available in. You would think someone would know this right? Wrong. They just told me they had no way of knowing that in the US market. If I wanted to find out what Toshiba Japan was making available in Japan, I would have to call them. Likewise with the other languages and regions. That is fine for someone who speaks 13 languages, but is tough for a developer who is trying to release an application in many different languages who only speaks two.

JonnoB
08-13-2002, 10:47 PM
I love my Canadian neighbors, but this is an example of why I wouldn't want to live there. Same goes for Hawaii and Alaska.... where anything outside the '48 contiguous states' costs or takes more time to accomplish the same thing.

masaki
08-13-2002, 10:50 PM

hmm... at least, to be treated equally. :x

This reeeeeaaally sucks. My friend's dad was about to order the e740. After I told him that Toshiba Canada doesn't service Toshiba product that are not purchased within Canada, he bought an iPAQ :D :D

jdhill
08-13-2002, 10:51 PM
Blame Canada !!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Master O'Mayhem
08-13-2002, 11:25 PM
I guess my earlier post was the forshadowing of my problem with my E550G. I BROKE THE FREAKING SCREEN!!!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I guess in need to send it back to Japan to get it fixed. Oh well. I guess i should have bought 2. :P

draiken
08-14-2002, 12:00 AM
Try living in Mexico and having to service a Jornada 568 that was boutht in the US, since in Mexico there are only spanish units available.

You have to be or have a friend who works for HP directly or indirectly (on the distribution chain) and have his fiend tell HP that it's his bosses Jornada, and then they will honor the warranty on the thing.

Compaq... Compaq is worse, if you buy a Laptop in the US, and you happen to be transferred to Mexico, then you have to purchase a Global Warranty Extension that costs around 1000 USD, just to get local support and warranty. Compaq even has different ID and Serial numbers for all equipment.

At least from Canada, you can ship it to a friend. I happen to have a friend living in LA, someone bought something on the Internet, and shipped it to him, (I think it was some plush toys from the Disney Store), he then shipped them to Mexico in the original packaging. One got here fine, but the other had "Made in China" on the box, and it got stuck in Customs, we had to wait until our friend from LA came to Mexico and brought the damn thing.

Can you imagine if this happens with plush toys, what could happen with my beloved Jornada?

st63z
08-14-2002, 12:00 AM

So true, so true...

Is Jason one of those canucks whose "Canadian" accent gets more pronounced the more excited/aggravated he is? (Trying to picture the Toshiba USA rep getting a good laugh out of the whole incident)

:) :) :)

TomB
08-14-2002, 12:34 AM
Jason, it sounds like you don't need to send in the device in for repair, but I still may have an answer for you. Toshiba USA and Toshiba Canada are likely completely different, locally owned and operated companies with little if anything in common other than the Toshiba franchise they own regionally. That means you are expecting a Canadian company to fix a product that is not theirs. In order to get things fixed you need to go to the original American source of your PDA and somehow let them know that the device is not working to specs.

I can understand an American customer service agent reacting the way you describe (without understanding your situation) because customs makes it almost impossible to freely ship products back and forth without major paperwork and headaches. Hey, I ran into the same problems a year ago and finally gave up shipping to Canada. I can't argue this point because I don't know for sure but this is probably the case given the reactions from both companies. I would hammer away at the folks in Irvine California.

Wes Salmon
08-14-2002, 01:01 AM
I guess my earlier post was the forshadowing of my problem with my E550G. I BROKE THE FREAKING SCREEN!!!!!
That's it, you can no longer be trusted with such valuable equipment. Please drop off all remaining devices, peripherals and accessories by my office ASAP. :D

Kirk Stephens
08-14-2002, 01:04 AM
Jason, you can use my address if needed. However, if I were you, I would be more inclined to let them know who you are and maybe then they will service your unit without any hassels.

butch
08-14-2002, 01:28 AM
Come on Jason I know it is frustrating, but Toshiba Canada is not the same company as Toshiba USA, they could honor the warranty but they don't have to. They both buy stuff from Toshiba Japan or whatever you call it and ressell it in their country... Same thing with Microsoft, yes there is a company named Microsoft Canada... Samething with Ford, Chrylser, GM... They paid tax in Canada they give jobs to Canadian too...

If you want to save money by buying from the USA that the price you have to pay for!

Now did ADS Technology will honor the warranty on my CF reader I couldn't fine one in Canada.... hummmmm I hope so....

Brad Adrian
08-14-2002, 03:00 AM
If you want to save money by buying from the USA that the price you have to pay for!

Sure, but sometimes that's not the issue. Sometimes it's an issue of not even being able to GET a piece of equipment outside the US.

gamboagarcia
08-14-2002, 03:49 AM
Im from Mexico. I bought my J568 in El Paso Tx. Had a problem called HP Mexico and received the same answer. Since I bought the device in the USA i had to send it back to HP USA.

kiwi
08-14-2002, 05:32 AM
wow!

I had a 3 day turnaround 3 weeks ago when I trashed my ipaq with the ROM upgrade. Now, I purchased the ipaq from ebay when I was in New Zealand and now I am in Toronto. Just quoted the serial number and not a problem with Compaq canada.

I now have a e740 but The whole Toshiba thing has given me a sour taste.. e740 problems, lack of *SERIAL F'n Cable* etc..

I am going to bail when I can and get a Loox. DOnt care about lack of support I am used to that.. (coming from NZ where its hard to get the gear for a decent price)

Anyway, it reminds me of recently trying to get access to the photos and information on the GM website regarding the new Pontiac VIBE car I was buying. I requested information from the Canada site who redirected me to the US media site. I filled out the form and then they declined my application to access the photos.
I emailed them back saying no wonder the nth american motor industry is loosing out to the japanses and other imports.. the marketing mentality here "sucks" (Well, I did not use those exact words.. but you know what I mean) and how effective word of mouth advertising can be. I have 200 people on my email newsletter list.. okay nothing substantial but hey better than nothing.
Anyway, 10 minutes later I was emailed a password.

From my experience in Nth America (Toronto anyway) you seem to *push* to get any sort of reasonable thing done otherwise you get the "std issue reply"

I just rebooked tickets to LONDON, UK and then coming back to Toronto before heading back to New Zealand. The first person I called said I could not do a stop over on the way back from London onmy fare. Tonight when I called to confirm arrangements the lady took the trouble (20mins of reading the rules and regulations for the ticket class) and said I could stop over.. so next Christmas I fly to london - Pickup a Pocket Loox if I dont have one by then then fly to Zurich - christmas with A friend there-- back to London, then back to Toronto a week later, drop off ny winter woolies and then fly downunder to NZ with T-Shirts and shorts for a 2 week midwinter "Summer" 8O

heh.. I went on a tangent..

Bri

Jason Dunn
08-14-2002, 05:35 AM
Come on Jason I know it is frustrating, but Toshiba Canada is not the same company as Toshiba USA, they could honor the warranty but they don't have to....If you want to save money by buying from the USA that the price you have to pay for!

1) Apparently if I paid extra for an "International Warranty" they would have helped me. I don't really care about politics or borders - if it has the word TOSHIBA stamped on it, that's what I perceive as a customer - I'm buying a Toshiba brand. HP and Compaq can work it out, why can't Toshiba? You're making excuses for them and being an apologist. Do you work for Toshiba? ;-)

2) The device was given to me by Microsoft, not purchased, so your comment is not relevant.

Jason Dunn
08-14-2002, 05:38 AM
I can understand an American customer service agent reacting the way you describe (without understanding your situation) because customs makes it almost impossible to freely ship products back and forth without major paperwork and headaches.

Ultimately, you're right - the message that Toshiba is sending me as a consumer is that I am not worth the paperwork hassle to them. So be it - but am I likely to buy a device from them? No.

Master O'Mayhem
08-14-2002, 09:08 AM
I guess my earlier post was the forshadowing of my problem with my E550G. I BROKE THE FREAKING SCREEN!!!!!
That's it, you can no longer be trusted with such valuable equipment. Please drop off all remaining devices, peripherals and accessories by my office ASAP. :D

Ok i will be in 117 wed and thursday. i will drop them off :(

trifin
08-14-2002, 11:21 AM
from what i remember Toshiba were more than unwilling to sell the e570 in the usa.... even more so in Canada..

so, be honest, is ur complaint really fair to them ?

Jonathon Watkins
08-14-2002, 12:02 PM
I guess my earlier post was the forshadowing of my problem with my E550G. I BROKE THE FREAKING SCREEN!!!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How did it happen? Were you tapping REALLY HARD or was the unit dropped? Does the larger screen make it more likely that it will be damaged?

paqman_lover
08-14-2002, 01:36 PM
Start a campaign to combine the US and Canada into one country and there'd be no problems anymore.

butch
08-14-2002, 01:54 PM
Sure, but sometimes that's not the issue. Sometimes it's an issue of not even being able to GET a piece of equipment outside the US.

Yep! I know! And if it is not available in Canada isn't it a good reason for Toshiba Canada to not offer warranty? :)

butch
08-14-2002, 02:21 PM
1) Apparently if I paid extra for an "International Warranty" they would have helped me. I don't really care about politics or borders - if it has the word TOSHIBA stamped on it, that's what I perceive as a customer - I'm buying a Toshiba brand. HP and Compaq can work it out, why can't Toshiba? You're making excuses for them and being an apologist. Do you work for Toshiba? ;-)

2) The device was given to me by Microsoft, not purchased, so your comment is not relevant.

1) No I don't work for Toshiba... So I can't get your pocketPC fixed faster :( And I wouldn't have posted than comment here.

2) So you get a free PocketPC and then you blame Toshiba!!! Hehehe!
Please tell Microsoft than they can give me any PocketPC that don't have a warranty in Canada :D

Anyway good luck!

TomB
08-14-2002, 02:26 PM
Jason, the problem is you keep thinking Toshiba and not Toshiba Canada - Toshiba USA or Toshiba France. These are all different companies. You need to go to your source. In this case, if the unit was a gift from Microsoft, why don't you contact the person who shipped you the device? It needs to go back to Toshiba USA and if ANYONE can arrange that it is someone high enough at MS to be able to send you a PDA. As far as "not being worth the paperwork," if you had escalated the case you may have gotten some satisfaction. Crossing into a foreign market that another company has paid millions of dollars to "own" is a business problem and may actually break the law (or at least Toshiba USA's legal agreement with Toshiba). As far as the redtape and extra charges through Customs (set up to protect Canadian businesses) it is at the nightmare level.

Jonathon Watkins
08-14-2002, 03:16 PM
Jason, the problem is you keep thinking Toshiba and not Toshiba Canada - Toshiba USA or Toshiba France. These are all different companies.
Nope. Toshiba = Toshiba. IF they have an internal problem - it's their problem - NOT mine. They can sort our their internal billing internally. They will take the product back if it is broken OR I will buy from someone else.

Jason Dunn
08-14-2002, 03:26 PM
from what i remember Toshiba were more than unwilling to sell the e570 in the usa.... even more so in Canada..so, be honest, is ur complaint really fair to them ?

If it has the name "Toshiba" on it, they should be willing to stand behind their product. I don't mind so much that the Canadian tech support won't fix it, they didn't sell it here at all, but the US guys being unable to ship me a return box? Come on, it's not THAT complicated.

Jeff Rutledge
08-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Nope. Toshiba = Toshiba. IF they have an internal problem - it's their problem - NOT mine. They can sort our their internal billing internally. They will take the product back if it is broken OR I will buy from someone else.

Exactly. An international company invests a lot in brand recognition. Their name is their name everywhere. People don't distinguish. Just ask any Arthur Andersen firm outside the US. You can't actually, because they all merged with someone else as fast as they could. The Andersen name was dirty - everywhere.

JonnoB
08-14-2002, 05:23 PM
There is additional cost to Toshiba USA to support International users. It would make sense if they just levied a small fee to handle the shipping and handling costs, but otherwise honored the warranty. Whether or not Toshiba USA is a seperate legal entity is irrelevant to a consumer.

hyonj
08-14-2002, 07:42 PM
As someone from Alaska, businesses should be upfront regarding where their limitations in service are, period. It wasn't too long ago that Gateway made the 6 O'Clock news regarding their "on-site" warranties, but forgot to mention that the "on-site" meant "on-site in the 48 contiguous states". They had to refund the people who lived in Hawaii, Alaska and the US Territories. I have had no problem getting service for my Dell laptop here in Alaska and Compaq was willing to ship me an OVERNIGHT box to fix my iPAQ. That service would probably cost Compaq at least half of the cost of my PDA, which was a monopaq. I am a student and move around a lot, I wouldn't buy a product that wouldn't support the needs that may arise. In today's market, the global market demands that support be global. It shouldn't matter where Jason got his PDA, Compaq services PDAs that weren't even retail purchases, they don't ask questions about "So, where did you get your PDA?" Toshiba states a one year warranty on the products they produce, they should honor that warranty instead of looking for boundaries and excuses why they can't deliver on their promise.

Toshiba is selling themselves as a global business, they should honor that marketing pitch. If one looks on their web site, it directs one to different parts of the world, depending on your location. If they aren't going to honor that marketing pitch, they shouldn't try to use the "umbrella of Toshiba Worldwide" to peddle their goods, but back out when it's not convenient. One unhappy customer = 10 unsold products. I'd be happy to purchase another iPAQ, while I haven't had perfect service from them, in the end, they made things right. I recommend iPAQs to my friends who are interested in purchasing PDAs, bar short of an amazing price deal. :) I'm sure that eventually, I'll go back to an iPAQ for the positive impression of their service and support.

Xaximus
08-14-2002, 07:53 PM
I live in Canada. Since it's quite likely that my first PDA will be purchased over the Internet and I don't want to be bothered with having to consider where I'm purchasing from, it looks like I'll be staying clear of Toshiba. People can talk about separate companies all they want; I want nothing to do with that... if I purchase a Toshiba product, I want Toshiba to fix any problems that come up, instead of giving me the run-around.

And since they clearly aren't very organized or concerned in regards to their customer care, I may as well avoid purchasing any Toshiba products in the future to avoid potential hassles while I'm at it. Oh well, I'm sure their competitors will gladly welcome my business. Thanks for the heads up, Jason.

P.S. Are you still "reasonably impressed" with Toshiba's support? :?

Jason Dunn
08-14-2002, 09:34 PM
P.S. Are you still "reasonably impressed" with Toshiba's support? :?

Uh, no. That part wasn't clear? :wink:

Xaximus
08-14-2002, 10:20 PM
I know; I kid. I was the bugger that said of your post a few weeks ago that I couldn't see exactly what it was that made you reasonably impressed with their support. :wink:

TomB
08-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Interesting thread with some good arguments for "global" responsibility - something that was never a major issue earlier because of the lack of instant global communication and access. Now we see something on the global Internet instead of our local tv or newspaper - why shouldn't we have equal access even if the politics and financial structures of the region of origin doesn't mesh with those in your part of the world?

If this becomes a large issue for Toshiba and they stick with company policy - I would say that the global technology "leaks" we have seen that are at the root of this problem will completely dry up. That way this doesn't become an issue between privately owned companies distributing similar products in different regions.

Jason builds a good case which could force the issue either way. But since a decision like that has to come from Japan and the regional owners, you aren't going to see any official changes on this for a while. The simple and immediate solution is get that PDA back to your Microsoft contact, and/or try to work up a better relationship with your regional distributor. BTW - I have nothing to do with Toshiba.