View Full Version : Questions about e310

hyonj
08-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Could some people who own the e310 tell me if there are any issues/problems? Any dust issues? Any pixel quality/screen issues? How is the battery life? I've got a monopaq, and the sound is great! How is the sound on the e310? I've heard that it's bad, is it really bad? How is the headphone jack?

Thanks in advance.

Jason Dunn
08-12-2002, 02:30 PM
I don't have one, but the battery life tests that I've had people do are VERY impressive - great battery life!

hasukuma
08-15-2002, 09:12 PM
I got my e310 today. First thing I noticed is that the top portion of the screen (almost confined to the title bar) is bit darker compared to the bottom area. May be that won't disrupt the normal usage. I was wondering if that is a common flaw or is that only in my device?

taxus
08-15-2002, 11:35 PM
I think it's because of the nature of the frontlight: it's a fluorescent light located at the bottom of the screen. There is less light that reaches the top. All e310s show that behavior (mine does anyway).

You don't see that with iPaqs because the light is on the side, and the distance isn't enough for the light level to drop significatively to the other side.

Sadly, my e310 is now showing a couple of blown pixels (I don't really know if they've always were there). A few of them always stay white. Doesn't bother me much because most of the time I'm reading black-on-white ebooks, and anyway the manual mentions that it's a possible, if regrettable, event (so I'm not even thinking of complaining to Toshiba).

Or maybe it's dust? It does seem to be near the top of the glass. I have no idea, I never saw dust-affected screens before.

BertBert
08-20-2002, 06:50 PM
Could some people who own the e310 tell me if there are any issues/problems? Any dust issues? Any pixel quality/screen issues? How is the battery life? I've got a monopaq, and the sound is great! How is the sound on the e310? I've heard that it's bad, is it really bad? How is the headphone jack?

The e310 is an amazing little device. I have had mine for about a week now and I cannot say enough good things about it. The screen is excellent -- no dust or pixel problems out of the box.

As for the sound, if you play sound through the little speaker in the front, it sounds sort of like a transistor radio -- very tinny and shrill. But that's what you would expect from a speaker that size, and the speaker is intended more for playing alarms and other sounds that don't require high fidelity. If you plug in headphones (standard 1/8" jack), on the other hand, the sound quality is excellent, about like a normal-quality portable CD player (depending, of course, on the parameters of the recording you are playing). The sound quality is fine -- it's not the quality of a high-performance stereo, but this is a PDA after all.