View Full Version : Clie or Pocket PC? (I have $600 to spend)

EarthBrain
08-12-2002, 04:08 AM
I am in a big dilema and need your advice.
I have $600 to spend on a PDA and I still don't know which one I should get. I have read magazines about the 2 options but still don't have a clear decision yet.

I am thinking between 2 units.

Clie Vs. Pocket PC

I am looking at the Clie PEG-T665C Vs. Toshiba e740

If you advice me to get a Pocket PC instead of a Palm OS unit, which Pocket PC should I get?

Hope to get your opinion. Glad that I found this forum to get some feedback before making the big purchase.

EarthBrain
08-12-2002, 04:24 AM
I also would like to add a few things.

I am a doctor (still in residency so I don't have money yet) and I need my PDA mostly for medical programs. Unfortunately, there are not many medical programs out there.

I already have a Clie 760c but it only has 8MB of internal memory. I also have a 128MB memory stick to put in all of my medical programs. However, since it is only 33 MHz and has only 8MB of RAM, I find that the unit is sometimes slow and I already have run out of memory of the 8MB allotment.
Another good thing about Palm is that I can get many FREE programs on the internet (I am sure you know that there are many out there, whether it is free (legit) or free (warez). In fact, I know many sites/Yahoo groups that has FREE (not legit) medical programs.

Since I already have the Clie 760c, I started to look for Pocket PC (I love new toys and I am a gadget freak). But unfortunately, there are not many medical programs out there. Plus, the resolution of Pocket PC is not as good as the Clie. But with the Tobisha's 400 Mhz system, I could not resist it as being one of the option.
Also, I could use the Pocket PC to do my medical presentation in the future.

So there you have it. So much things to think about. Hope you can give me some input in this matter. Thanks.

JonnoB
08-12-2002, 05:29 PM
And if you are in a pinch to run a Palm app, download the latest Palm emulator from kodess. You may want to check out this site on PocketPC life in the medical field. http://www.medicalpocketpc.com/

Brad Adrian
08-13-2002, 02:38 AM
It really does help to know what kinds of things you plan on using the device for, because the various devices handle some functions a little differently. For example, if you think you'll need a lot of storage space, like for MP3s or movies, getting a Pocket PC with a compact flash or PCMCIA card capability might be a good idea. If you really need to only focus on calendar, contact and e-mail functions, the Clie might give you what you need.

So, what do you think you'll use the PDA for?