View Full Version : Microsoft Reader On 3900 series

Fattizzi
08-08-2002, 05:28 PM
okay. I have a new 3970 iPAQ and have bought two ebooks from barnes and noble. These ebooks were bought a while ago and use on my other ppc's. They used to work fine on my new 3900 series until today. Now when I go to read them (after activating MS Reader) it tells me "that the copy of the Microsoft Reader cannot open this title. You may not have the appropriate rights for viewing this content. If you are the rightful owner of this title, please try reactivating MS Reader again."

Of course I have done this over and over and even hard reset my PPC , but it still does not work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jason Dunn
08-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Try deleting the annotation files - they should be in a My Documents sub-folder.

Fattizzi
08-08-2002, 05:39 PM
It tried that too. I even tried re-downloading the book from B&N. I have three books that I bought and all of them do not work. My wife has a 3870 and the books work just fine for her device that i registered with my passport account.

welwyngc
08-08-2002, 06:57 PM
I am sure that this is not the case but:

Are you absolutely certain that the activation email which you used to buy these books is the same email that is on your PPC.

Perhaps move a copy of an ebook both in your main memory and onto your storage card - see if MSReader will open either.

Does MSreader on YOUR desktop open these books (If applicable)

Does MSReader on your PPC open non copied protected ebooks OK?

Fattizzi
08-08-2002, 07:29 PM
I registered the MS REader with a brand new email address and re-downloaded my ebook from Barnes and NOble. So that shouldnt make a difference.

I can open up regular ebooks that are free.

I can open the ebook from my desktop, but that is registered with another email address.

THis is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

welwyngc
08-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Fattizzi wrote:
...I registered the MS REader with a brand new email address and re-downloaded my ebook from Barnes and Noble. So that shouldnt make a difference....'

Ahhh - but my understanding is that it does.

When you purchased your ebooks from B&N you purchased them under that specific activation!

Crazy - but I believe that is how it works.

Fattizzi
08-08-2002, 07:48 PM
I did not know that. So then, what do I do if I ran out of quota's and cannot install a book that I paid for and for a New 3900 that I paid for.

I tried submitting a request for more quota's, but it was denied, so then I emailed microsoft and have to wait 24hrs. This is silly.

Jason Dunn
08-08-2002, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the world of crappy DRM5 restrictions. This is why I won't buy DRM5 eBooks.

Fattizzi
08-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Yeah, it does stink. What do you use?

Jason Dunn
08-08-2002, 09:52 PM
I tend to read paper books <gasp> for new stuff, and I keep Reader for "indy" books and classics. Lots of people like the new Palm Reader for modern eBooks...

welwyngc
08-08-2002, 11:23 PM
I did not know that. So then, what do I do if I ran out of quota's and cannot install a book that I paid for and for a New 3900 that I paid for.

I tried submitting a request for more quota's, but it was denied, so then I emailed microsoft and have to wait 24hrs. This is silly.

Right - so you have to be very careful with how you use your 4 activations. Mind you, MS has been very prompt in giving me new activations, ONE at a time mind you ( I get a new PPC every 2 months or so - I need HELP!)

And once you have purchased a book (B&N / Amazon) under a specific activation email I would think that it would be real hard to change it to another activation - try doing that in an email to Amazon/B&N.

I use Palmreader much more - it has a much easier ~DRM system.

However both MSReader and PalmReader have their strengths.

Hope that this all helps.

Jason Dunn
08-08-2002, 11:48 PM
And don't activations reset after 120 days or something?

welwyngc
08-09-2002, 12:03 AM
And don't activations reset after 120 days or something?

I believe that the '120 day' is how often MS will add a new activation to your account. Not sure if this is adhered to by MS.

This is my new ebook reader!

Fattizzi
08-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Well, thank you for all your help. Thankfully Microsoft replied to my request for more quota's within 12 hours. I re-activated MS Reader and all is well.....untill the next hard reset or new device comes out.

Their email made me laugh though. Check this out:

"Because there are occasions when even a limit as generous as 4 activations will be reached, we are authorized to grant additional activations, one at a time, on a case by case basis."

At least I can read my books, but I gotta do it fast....

Jason: the timeout period is 180days and then the ID is reset.

welwyngc
08-09-2002, 01:48 PM
1.'.... I re-activated MS Reader and all is well.....untill the next hard reset or new device comes out....'

2.'...Jason: the timeout period is 180days and then the ID is reset....'

1. My understanding is that a hard reset will NOT cause you to lose an activation - after the hard reset just activate MSReader again - will not use another activation

2.Not sure what this means? Do you have a link - I could not find one

dunneldeen
08-14-2002, 08:27 PM
It seems like DRM5 would be much more usable if the retailers worked kind of like Audible does. Login to your account and say you want a new copy of the book you purchased last year, but for [email protected]. They authenticate your account, verify that you have not downloaded the book more than once in the last ?? days/months, and re-issues the DRM5 book to you (under the new email address.) They must have the technical ability to do this, they issued you the DRM5 book in the first place.

For audible books, I can re-download a book that I purchased 2 years ago, and put it on a newly activated device very easily.