View Full Version : Phone Edition Forum

Jason Dunn
08-07-2002, 09:19 PM
I've created a new forum specifically for the Pocket PC Phone Edition devices out there. While some of the questions could arguably be answered in the Wireless forum, I'd like to give all Phone Edition users a home - since that now includes me. Yes, yes, it's true - the Microsoft Stork delivered me a shiny bouncing baby Spaceneedle. More later...

jdhill
08-07-2002, 09:25 PM
You lucky dog you !!!

And maybe you can convince a certain carrier to rename the "T-mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition" to "Spaceneedle", it's a lot easier to say !!!

pt
08-07-2002, 09:28 PM
i've been calling it my Tphone.

cheers,
pt

jdhill
08-07-2002, 09:46 PM
i've been calling it my Tphone.

cheers,
pt
pt,

I saw all of your photos of the phone.

Have you written a review? If so, where might you have posted it? If not, why not ???

ARW
08-07-2002, 09:47 PM
How about a forum for Smartphone 2003? Not that there is really anything other than wild speculation available right now. :?:

brntcrsp
08-07-2002, 10:01 PM
How about a forum for Smartphone 2003? Not that there is really anything other than wild speculation available right now. :?:

there's speculation? 2002 hasn't even hit the shelves yet (for US consumers)

pt
08-07-2002, 10:05 PM
I saw all of your photos of the phone. Have you written a review? If so, where might you have posted it? If not, why not ???

i did my usual short attention span review:
http://www.pocketpcmagic.com/tmobile/

what more would you like to know? feel free to ask. the phone rocks, it's amazing, get one.

cheers,
pt

ARW
08-07-2002, 10:25 PM
brntcrsp wrote: there's speculation? 2002 hasn't even hit the shelves yet (for US consumers)

2002 hasn't hit the shelves anywhere, tat I know of, therefore everything is speculation. I called for a 2003 forum because it doesn't look like 2002 will make it before 2003. Being a little sarcastic I guess. :wink:

jdhill
08-07-2002, 10:31 PM
what more would you like to know? feel free to ask.
OK.

Do you usually use it held up to your face, with the hands-free set, or as a speaker-phone? Which mode to you like best?

Do you think the lack of Bluetooth or WiFi is a deal-breaker?

Which data plan did you get? Are you monitoring your MB usage?

Do you use SMS messages to notify yourself that you have e-mail or do you not see this as an always-on push e-mail kind of device (I'm wondering if I can replace my Motorola P-935 which is similar to a RIM Blackberry in function)?

Do you know if thumb keyboards and/or Stowaway keyboards will be available for it?

Wes Salmon
08-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Yes, yes, it's true - the Microsoft Stork delivered me a shiny bouncing baby Spaceneedle. More later...

Jason,

If you plan to do any GPRS data on it and don't want to spend a fortune, you'll certainly want to check out the All-Locations GPRS counter. I've been using it for a while now and it's great to know how many bits I have left before my carrier starts to gouge me per KB. :)

kagayaki1
08-07-2002, 10:57 PM
Here's the link to the product Wes is talking about above. Neat little application!

www.all-locations.com

-Jason

Jason Dunn
08-07-2002, 10:59 PM
If you plan to do any GPRS data on it and don't want to spend a fortune...

Three words: flat rate baby. Oh yeah! I love being Canadian some times... 8)

Wes Salmon
08-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Oh yeah ... well Basketball was invented in the US! :lol:

Jason Dunn
08-07-2002, 11:59 PM
Oh yeah ... well Basketball was invented in the US! :lol:

BY A CANADIAN!!! :lol:

kagayaki1
08-08-2002, 12:48 AM
If you plan to do any GPRS data on it and don't want to spend a fortune...

The American capitalist spirit prevails. Make as much money as possible...maybe this is why the Canadian dollar is so weak (yeah, cheap shot, I know).

Seriously, thought, I can't complain; I contribute lots of money to the Canadian economy every year, being so close to B.C. I admit - at times, I even love Canada. Ever been to one of those all you can eat Sushi places in Vancouver? Not the best stuff, but all you can friggin' eat!!! Hell yeah!!! Kind of relates to unlimited data plans <sign>

pt
08-08-2002, 02:15 AM
OK.

>Do you usually use it held up to your face, with the hands-free set, or as a speaker-phone? Which mode to you like best?

i use the speaker phone and headset, the speaker phone rocks!

>Do you think the lack of Bluetooth or WiFi is a deal-breaker?

no way! i don't need bluetooth at all, i thought i might, but nope. i have a bluetooth headset for my t68 and it was just a pain. as far as wifi, i'm away from wifi areas more than near them, so this is a better solution for me.

>Which data plan did you get? Are you monitoring your MB usage?

10mb, it's going great.

>Do you use SMS messages to notify yourself that you have e-mail or do you not see this as an always-on push e-mail kind of device (I'm wondering if I can replace my Motorola P-935 which is similar to a RIM Blackberry in function)?

i personally check my mail when i want to, that's they way i'll always do it, i'm not really interested in anything else.

>Do you know if thumb keyboards and/or Stowaway keyboards will be available for it?

yep, 100%, i can't say more than than that tho :-]

cheers,
pt

jeffmckean
08-08-2002, 06:36 AM
I generally hold the phone up to my head, and actually that works and feels pretty good; certainly a lot better than my too-small T68.

I do miss my BT headset a bit; I had finally wrestled that thing into submission and bent it to my will so I was comfortable with it. But not so much that I would stop using my Spaceneedle for it!

I love the speakerphone; and ya know, people simply aren't used to seeing someone walking around with a speakerphone (etiquette permitting, of course!) so that's kinda fun.

I love to show the phone in all its bare glory; but I was too afraid of dropping it so the first purchase I made was a Piel Frama case for it (and then a 256mb SD card!)

T-Mobile service (I have a national plan with GPRS/10mb but I'm insanely jealous that Jason can get flat-rate) has been really good; I've been a customer of theirs in the Seattle area for 3 1/2 years and no serious complaints. The national plan has worked very well for me while traveling.

If you love Pocket PCs but have always wanted to be wireless you will absolutely love this device!