View Full Version : Oliver Thylmann's dreams on PDAs

marlof
08-06-2002, 02:41 PM
<a href="http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2146.html">http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2146.html</a><br /><br />Oliver Thylmann recently wrote <a href="http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=2090">an article</a> on switching from Palm to Pocket PC on infoSync. The transition made him ponder about the PDA that he would like best, and this week he writes about the things his dream device should be able to do. He has a big wish list, so go check it out, and see if he dreams your dreams as well.

snappy2515
08-06-2002, 03:11 PM
I currently am the owner of a Compaq Ipaq 3765, an HP Jornada 547, and a Palm m500. My first PDA was the Jornada, to this day that was my favorite of all the pdas I have owned, the reasons being:
1. Flip Cover
2. Built in expansion slot
3. Compact size
The biggest reason being the built in expansion
The things that I like about my Ipaq are:
1. Screen that can be seen both in and outdoors
2. Cool design
3. Light weight
4. Processing Speed
Palm m500
1. Small Size
2. Small Size
3. Small Size
I'm seriously thinking of buying myself a Toshiba e310. I just want a pocket pc that will actually fit in my pocket.
My idea of a great pocket pc would be:
1. Size of the e310
2. Built in expansion is a must, SD most likely, maybe even that XD card that Jason posted about awhile back
3. Flip cover would be nice
4. Lots of useful bundled software
5. Lots of accessories (big seller)
6. REASONALBLE PRICE
I'm gonna hold back on buying a new ppc till I see something thats worth the $400+ price tag.

topps
08-06-2002, 07:04 PM
http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2146.html

Oliver Thylmann recently wrote an article (http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=2090) on switching from Palm to Pocket PC on infoSync. The transition made him ponder about the PDA that he would like best, and this week he writes about the things his dream device should be able to do. He has a big wish list, so go check it out, and see if he dreams your dreams as well.

Reading through his wishlist, it strikes me that you have just about all the items that he asks for with the iPAQ 3970 series. Apart from edit on first open, as he calls it - a minor thing, IMHO. That's simply a case of what you're used to.

Kre
08-06-2002, 11:36 PM
My dream handheld is, uh, slightly more ambitious to say the least. Some of these things are completely realistic, and others are certainly pushing the envelope, but hey, I can dream, cant I... :D

**OLED display. Easily readable both indoors and outdoors. But with higher resolution than what we currently have.
**256MB of internal RAM, but modular so that upgrades are easy.
**Rugged, lightweight metal casing all around.
**One CF II and two SDIO slots.
**XScale or newer ARM processor, running at &lt;=1Ghz.
**Firewire and USB.
**Bluetooth, SIR, FIR, and Consumer IR.
**Phone Edition capability with triband GSM GPRS and vibrating and LED visual alerts. Modular though, so that it can be easily upgraded with a new module handling newer wireless technology when available.
**Scroll wheel.
**Integrated backlit thumb keyboard, revealed when part of the body slides down or flips down and open, a bit like how Sharp did it.
**Built in screen cover and secondary blue backlit LCD display for incoming calls and other information, like we see on the hp 928.
**Flip up or internal attenna.
**Two user swappable super high capacity lipoly battteries and a replacable high capacity backup battery.
**Higher grade graphics and audio chips also designed to save on battery life.
**Integrated 225 degree swiveling 1.3 or 2 megapixel color camera with flash that can capture video as well, all onto a storage card.
**Integrated TV, AM and FM tuners.
**Integrated GPS, and modular, allowing for upgrades.
**Integrated electronic compass for when GPS isnt accessible due to environment.
**Integrated two way FMS/GRPS radio.
**Integrated visual alert high output LED, different from LED used to indicate an incoming call or message. On top and on front of handheld and with a hardware button to use the feature with one hand. For two purposes... those with the same device could get each others attention in a silent and discreet way from a distance. Could also serve as an output for morse code in certain situations. LED could be blue in color. Or to expand on this, there could be five of these LEDs placed in a row, but in red, orange, yellow, green, and blue colors. Different people could assign themselves a different color via software, and according to which color lit up, you could know who was trying to get your attention. Yes I know, geeky, but youd be surprised how handy something simple like this could be from time to time for different reasons.
**Integrated biometric fingerprint scanner.
**Integrated video out capability.
**Bundled BT enabled credit card sized remote control to control all audio including mp3, video, TV and radio functions from a distance, say, when using its video out capability for presentations or when hooked up to other output devices, when in your pocket, or when hooked up in your car to help keep your eyes on the road.
**Hardware volume, speaker mute, and mic mute buttons.
**Hold button that when activated, would keep any buttons on the device from activating or turning on the handheld by accident. Saves battery life by preventing unit from being turned on accidently, and also keeps the unit running in the mode you want it to when on, free from inadvertent button presses, say, when listening to music while its in your pocket. Screen would remain active though, protected by screen cover.
**Small metal hinged covers for ports to allow access when opened and to keep dust out when closed.

**Reliable sync software. Simple and straight forward with a much more friendly and intuitive interface. Works via BT, SIR, FIR, USB, or Firewire. Also allows user to sync with several devices.
**Microsoft Office that is much more feature rich and will handle any Office document with no formatting changes.
**IE that is much more feature rich and will resolve full web pages and will handle tabbed browsing. Support for all streaming media, graphics, audio, video, flash and shockwave applets, secure browsing, and so on. The guts of it should handle virtually everything IE 6 handles.
**Integrated ability to change resolution and orientation on the fly with no resets.
**A PIM that is much more feature rich, but with a better feel as if its one program instead of three or four separate ones.
**Night vision mode that affects OS and all apps.
**Voice control.
**An easier way to ping messages back and forth to each other from a short distance like those simple Cybiko devices can.

Jason Dunn
08-07-2002, 01:03 AM
Kre - give me $20,000 US and I'll build you one. :wink:

Kre
08-07-2002, 06:36 AM
Kre - give me $20,000 US and I'll build you one. :wink:

LOL, yeah, more like twenty million... but I wanna go up into space first. :D