View Full Version : Using iPAQ's Infrared to control other devices

Martin I Pettinger
08-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Hi

Today I installed a demo of TV remote controller on my iPAQ 3850 (www.pdawin.com) and I am really impressed. It was really easy to learn a new device (In this instance the family Sky Digital Remote) but what did intrigue me was the range of the iPAQ Infrared (IR) which seems to be approximately 4 metres or 12 feet.

Question: Anyone know the technical specs for the iPAQ 3800 series IR?

Now without measuring the distance between the sofa and the TV this really surprised me. I thought that the Infrared only worked over a distance of 0.5 metres to 1 metre – i.e. 18 inch to 3 feet for instance Infrared Synchronisation. If 4 metres can be achieved is there any means of using an iPAQ to control a Powerpoint Presentation.

Question: Anyone used an iPAQ to give a Powerpoint Presentation?

Imagine this scenario – you are giving a presentation using a laptop connected to a video projector. Instead of standing alongside the laptop to advance the presentation you use the iPAQ to advance slides using Infrared. I have an Infrared mouse upstairs somewhere from an old Packard Bell PC. I wonder whether the software I am testing could learn how to control the IR mouse.

Question: Anyone using the iPAQ’s Infrared to control other devices?

What I am trying to do is give a presentation via my company laptop connected to a video projector. The same presentation is on my iPAQ using “Pocket SlideShow” by CNetX. Using the iPAQ I can see my speakers notes and switch to the TV remote controller to advance slides. Perhaps I could even record any questions using the memo recorder on the iPAQ.

Martin

Brad Adrian
08-04-2002, 03:18 AM
Instead of standing alongside the laptop to advance the presentation you use the iPAQ to advance slides using Infrared.

There are already a couple of apps that would allow you to do this via a 802.11 connection. It requires additional hardware (a couple of cards), but doesn't suffer from the problem of having to align IR ports and does allow you to actually view your presentation (or notes) on your Pocket PC while you're at it.

Sound like a better solution, or are you set on IR?

Martin I Pettinger
08-04-2002, 07:26 AM
Hi

It does sound like a better solution and I would be interested in a "WiFi" alternative. Though I may need to start saving.

What I have in mind maybe the cheapest. The Powerpoint Software and Remote Control Software would cost no more than 50$.

The problem with a wireless solution is that I would have to buy the following:

1. A CF jacket for my iPAQ 3850 (Though I am considering this anyway)
2. A CF card for the iPAQ
3. A CF receiver for the laptop

The laptop itself has little room for expansion as a big fat Xircon card fills a big fat slot on the left hand side of my Dell Latitude.

I do have USB but the laptop has a NT operating system. I mention this as another alternative maybe using Bluetooth.

Look forward to alternatives and maybe some posts on less robust but cheap and cheerful iR solutions.

Martin