View Full Version : Headset hassles and Bluetooth aches

Jason Dunn
08-03-2002, 03:00 PM
<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2165893.stm">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2165893.stm</a><br /><br />This isn't an "anti Bluetooth" article, but it is a sobering reminder that sometimes the "simple" things required to use a product aren't so simple for everyone. I too was amazed that you need to press a button on the phone in order to engage the headset - doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? Why not include a button on the headset that you could tap to transfer the call?<br /><br />"As a journalist working in television production I make and receive dozens of calls every day. A Bluetooth headset that links to a handset via radio and has much improved sound quality would be a big help. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the "answer" button on the Ericsson and Bluetooth headsets must be pressed to pick up a call. This I am unable to do, making the gadgets next to useless." <br /><br />Source: Thoughts reader who sent me a private message which I have deleted without first recording the name of the person for this message. Since I'm clearly unreliable, please use the contact form for all news items in order to ensure your moment of glory.

Willmonwah
08-03-2002, 03:48 PM
I actually thought that was a good idea, not having to reach for your existing phone, but simply touching the handset. Isn't that the point? Being completely free from the handset?

Colin Hughes does bring up a good point, however. The Sony Ericcson headset simply wasn't designed with elder users or disabled users in mind. Kudos to Motorola for providing alternatives.

William

Janak Parekh
08-03-2002, 04:01 PM
I too was amazed that you need to press a button on the phone in order to engage the headset - doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? Why not include a button on the headset that you could tap to transfer the call?
I think the article is unclear on this. My reading was that you could hit a button on the headset, and that would do the trick, but that was also difficult for him to do. He wanted something where if the phone rang it would automatically answer without any intervention.

I can say that the Motorola bluetooth headset, which I'm using with my T68, has a button on it that can be used for answering or dropping calls. Opening the "boom extension" on the headset has a similar effect.

--bdj

mgd
08-03-2002, 04:15 PM
I think the article is unclear on this. My reading was that you could hit a button on the headset, and that would do the trick, but that was also difficult for him to do. He wanted something where if the phone rang it would automatically answer without any intervention.

This was my understanding too. I have a T68 with an Ericsson headset and I don't need to press a button on the phone to answer a call, I press a button on the headset. Can the newest Ericsson headset (30) be activated using the Magic Word function?

Ben
08-03-2002, 05:29 PM
There seems to be a voice answer option under the Settings->Voice Control menu on my T68 - got no idea whether it works with the headset though.

kagayaki1
08-03-2002, 05:33 PM
BigDaddy is absolutely correct about the Motorola headset. When you receive a call, all you have to do is open the boom on the Motorola to answer it, and close it to hang it up.

Want to leave it on your ear? Then you must press the button on the side of the headset to answer a call, and then press the button again to hang up.

I'm not sure about the Ericsson headset, but the Motorola is the one all the AT&T stores in Seattle are selling. Here is the manual for everyone's reference:

(PDF) http://216.87.173.24/manuals/Bluetooth_Wireless_headset_E.pdf

MarcTGFG
08-03-2002, 05:42 PM
My Ericsson T39M can automatically answer calls when a headset is attached.

You find the option under

4 Settings
2 Profiles
1 Choose profile
Portable Headset

or you can set the phone to automatically answer calls in other profiles.

4 Settings
0 Freisprechen (may read "Headset" or "speakerphone" in english version)
1 Answering mode
automatic answering

So there is total flexibility in the Ericsson implementation of Bluetooth.

There are so many uninformed "reviews" out there. Better check it out first before publishing it on this website!

ejph
08-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Jason,

I sent you the message! Its seems I took a stupid pill, didn't see that 'contact' heading, doh! :oops: (hey, I've got Glandular Fever....)

I own a T39m phone and that as already pointed out has a 'magic word' function however it does reduce battery life. Not that I have actually used it..... I think the jounalist might not have been aware about the 'magic word' function on some phones. However I think that the fact he missed these functions, in itself is an important point. Phone and bluetooth makers should make these features a bit more prominent in the literature, especially for those with special access requirements.

Still the issue of 'disabled' access to technology is an important one.....

Janak Parekh
08-03-2002, 06:28 PM
Phone and bluetooth makers should make these features a bit more prominent in the literature, especially for those with special access requirements.
What I think is the real glaring weakness here is that the phone manufacturers, notably Ericsson, don't know how to support it themselves! You'd think they'd know about these options...

--bdj

Jason Dunn
08-03-2002, 06:49 PM
There are so many uninformed "reviews" out there. Better check it out first before publishing it on this website!

Unless you want to loan me all your hardware, that's a little difficult to do. ;-)

But what I DO find amazing is that if it does work after all, like you're all saying, why didn't the tech support people he talked to tell him this? Seems a bit odd...

mgd
08-03-2002, 07:56 PM
I have the HBH-20, and I'm pretty sure that it does not work with the "magic word" function. Well, at least I haven't been able to get it to work. However, I'm pretty sure that the HBH-30 does.

I haven't tried setting auto-answer for the headset profile as described above--didn't know I could--so I can't say whether it will work on the T68--unfortunately my baby is in the shop for repairs and a firmware update.

heliod
08-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Most of the Nokia and Ericsson phones can be set in their settings to answer the call automatically without ringing. I think this would solve the problem, though I have never tried. I feel very comfortable with pressing the headset, and think I would only use this option while using the headset inside a motorcycle helmet.

st63z
08-03-2002, 11:49 PM
As this seems to have been clarified, I wanted to ask an OT: Did you guys ever post the news blurb about Qualcomm including Wi-Fi in future cellullar chipsets to be used in the tens of millions?

I've been waiting for it to pop up just so I can get my fix of Ed's anti-BT rhetoric (he'd be all "yea!") :D

EricMCarson
08-04-2002, 04:13 AM
BEFORE everybody flys off the handle and gets all antsy about how the Bluetooth headsets don't work like what they think they should, they should GET ONE. I use a T68i with the HBH-30 (had the HBH-15 before this). Both of those headsets supported complete pick up, answer, and voice-activated dial without having to touch the handset or headset. All you have to do is enable handsfree operation on the handset (very easy to do), but it does eat battery life on the handset. The SonyEricsson implementation of bluetooth appears to be one of the best in my book, as it worked for me twice (once on the HBH-15 and again on the upgrade to the HBH-30 two weeks ago) without having to assign pins or rediscover devices or anything crazy (unlike trying to get my 3870 to sync with my TDK bluetooth card in the laptop or getting the laptop to print to my HP printer adapter). The headsets appear to do exactly what this reviewer is trying to do. Maybe he just didn't know what he was doing (the manuals that come with both of those headsets are pretty self-explanatory i.e., press here to do this). How can you fault a company with great design and implementation for not support in place to answer questions that are in the manual in easy to read terms? Maybe the reviewer is just trying to get Motorola some good press (they could use all they can get recently).

mgd
08-04-2002, 07:08 AM
The SonyEricsson implementation of bluetooth appears to be one of the best in my book, as it worked for me twice (once on the HBH-15 and again on the upgrade to the HBH-30 two weeks ago) without having to assign pins or rediscover devices or anything crazy

The reviewer does not mention which model he tested, but the HBH-20 (the model I own) is flawed by not being able to do voice-activated pickup, dialing and reject even though it is post HBH-15. I chose the HBH-20 because I ded not want to look like an operator, but I had no idea that it lacked some functions.

(the manuals that come with both of those headsets are pretty self-explanatory i.e., press here to do this). How can you fault a company with great design and implementation for not support in place to answer questions that are in the manual in easy to read terms?

The manual that came with my headset gives the impression that it might, or might not do voice-activated pickup, dialing and reject. It is probably the same manual that came with the HBH-15 and HBH-30. In any case, I spent hours going through the motions before realising that it is limited in this respect. If Tech Support could not get the reviewer's headset to do what he wanted, it's probably because he bought the HBH-20.

Jonathon Watkins
08-05-2002, 01:07 AM
Well it's good to know that you can use a bluetooth headset without touching the PPC itself. I was getting worried there for a minute. 8O