View Full Version : Processor Speed

bathman123
08-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Is 206 MhZ a good enough processor? I just dont want to spend less and have it be obsolete by the time I get home. Thanks for any help.

Dave Conger
08-02-2002, 03:02 AM
As of right now 206MHz is about as good as 400MHz XScale because of the preformace issues. What kind of things are you looking to do with your PDA? If you aren't sure exactly, I would consider getting an inexpensive 206MHz device now and then 6 months down the road, when bigger and better is out and you know what you are using your device for, consider upgrading to something that has the features you want/will use.

ECOslin
08-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I'm not certain that processor speed is an issue to worry about.

I just bought on Ebay, as some people on this site are painfully aware, a Casio Cassiopeia E105.

Natively, this comes with WindowsCE2.11.

I've run into OS compatability problems, I haven't been able to find the Microsoft Service Update to update it to 2.12. I've tried downloading programs listed by various people as being compatible with this, only to find they will not run.

But all is not lost. The Operating System rom chip is on what is called a daughterboard, which is plugged into the main board of this device.
And even luckier, I have found a supplier for a replacement rom chip for this device with the item in stock.

This rom upgrade, when swapped for the old rom daughterboard, will change the operating system to a 3.0 version of WindowsCE, compatible, I am told, with Pocket PC 2000 collection of devices.

An annoyance I am having is that when I ordered the chip, I also ordered the 'official' pack of screen protectors made for a Casio. The screen protectors are on backorder, and so my order hasn't been shipped to me yet(7 to 10 days, sounds of a screeching halt). I used to make my own screen protectors, I wanted to see the real ones for my newest purchase.

Beware(skeletal hand) the expired OS....

Edward