View Full Version : 3900 / Sierra Aircard 555 / Verizon

grinjuice
07-30-2002, 12:02 AM
A problem. Aircard will register signal and dial but returns a "Cannot Detect Carrier" message. Verizon and Sierra say they are aware of the problem and working on it, but no idea when fix will be made.

Anybody else having this problem? Anybody got a workaround [other than reverting to my 3850]?

:?

Thinkingman
07-30-2002, 03:09 AM
Did they mention to you what they thought or felt the problem was? Was it customer service you talked with or technical support. I personally suggest contacting both to see the types of info you will get from both.

grinjuice
07-30-2002, 12:49 PM
Yes I talked to the technical folks. At that point they didn't have an idea.
:)

Thinkingmandavid
07-31-2002, 04:53 AM
Hello:)
You can try using another means for online access but then again it will mean investing more money. The good part to it is that you will have a back up plan in case the verizon/ Sierra card is not working again. Since it is technology we know that is quite possible:)

grinjuice
07-31-2002, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Also as an FYI here's Sierra's reply to my email:

"Thank you for your interest in our products and our company. We are working to solve this issue, we will post the patch as soon as it is available

http://www.sierrawireless.com/SupportDownload/Ac555choice.html

As Verizon sells the cards they take care of all tier I and II issues. "

Best Regards,
Oscar Chavarrķa
Sales Representative
Sierra Wireless, 13811 Wireless Way
Richmond, B.C. V6V 3A4, Canada
Dir. 604.232-1462, Main 604.231-1100, Fax 604.233-6333

topps
08-02-2002, 08:01 AM
A problem. Aircard will register signal and dial but returns a "Cannot Detect Carrier" message. Verizon and Sierra say they are aware of the problem and working on it, but no idea when fix will be made.

Anybody else having this problem? Anybody got a workaround [other than reverting to my 3850]?

:?

I managed to get the 555 working with the Telus 1xRTT service. Once connected, it was quite good but there were several issues.

1. the Sierra driver sucked ++ - very slow to find and initialise the card (25 secs). Once found, takes 7 secs to log into the 1xRTT network. This was after any power up of the device, even if it was the last thing running on power down.
2. restarting the driver frequently failed. In fact, most of the time it needed a soft reset to get going.
3. system quite unstable - often locked completely, needing soft reset to fix.
All this on a variety of iPAQs, 3670, 3850, 3870, with a variety of other software on the devices. Consistent misbehaviour on all devices.

Once connected, the network speed was reasonable. Faster than GPRS by a noticeable but not huge margin.

Also, usually found that on reconnecting after a powerup, if did not do the soft reset, would often get No Service or No 1xRTT Service message, even in areas where known to be good.

Hope they fix this soon.