View Full Version : CF GPRS/GSM--any user feedback?

refugee
07-28-2002, 03:44 AM
http://www.shoppingpda.com/product/rtm8000/rtm8000.asp
http://www.peregrine.com.my/
---two links to:
1) the Audiovox GSM/GPRS cf type 1 card
2) the Pretec version of above...BTW this one has it's own 650 mAh LIon battery!
3) both under $300.00 US
4) can anyone recommend a provider for this service? i had a cell-phone last time in 1996 :?
i am eager to turn my HP 568 into a part-time cell-phone, operable only when i plug the cf in!!

orinoco
08-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Hi:

It is excellent. I tested it on the Voicestream and ATT networks (only the GSM portion), and with a Jornada 568 and my ipaq 3950. The dialer software interface it comes with is very nice and intuitive, a lot better than the ipaq gsm/gprs sleeve I had before.

My only qualm with it is that it sticks out a bit too far for any case to hold the whole thing comfortably. But then again, it is amazing that you can turn pretty much ANY pocket pc into a gsm/gprs device.

I hope this helps,

Fernando

refugee
08-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Hi:

It is excellent. I tested it on the Voicestream and ATT networks (only the GSM portion), and with a Jornada 568 and my ipaq 3950. The dialer software interface it comes with is very nice and intuitive, a lot better than the ipaq gsm/gprs sleeve I had before.

My only qualm with it is that it sticks out a bit too far for any case to hold the whole thing comfortably. But then again, it is amazing that you can turn pretty much ANY pocket pc into a gsm/gprs device.

I hope this helps,

Fernando
please bear with me while i ask another dumb novice question...where can i get a "sim" card, & what does it do? both manufacturers say you have to have one. if my last phone had one i did not know it.

Jason Dunn
08-08-2002, 02:39 PM
please bear with me while i ask another dumb novice question...where can i get a "sim" card, & what does it do? both manufacturers say you have to have one. if my last phone had one i did not know it.

If your last phone was a GSM phone, you had a SIM card. They're tiny cards that contain your phone number, contact info, etc. You should be able to get an activated SIM at a GSM phone store.

Thinkingmandavid
08-09-2002, 02:47 AM
Hello:)
The sim card yes holds all of the info as well as is how your cell phone will work. Where do you live? I ask because that will help determine who would be a good provider. IN the states, Cingular, voicestream, and some att have sim cards. cingular is not full gsm yet but is working on it. voicestream is. you can get a sim card there but of course you will have to sign a one year agreement for service so you can use the card for a phone and for the gprs connection for internet service. I as well am wondering how good it works for connection to net and cell phone. who ever has done that so far should leave a review on here so we can all findout about it and have some points of view on the pros and cons of it. thanks:)

refugee
08-09-2002, 02:54 AM
Hello:)
The sim card yes holds all of the info as well as is how your cell phone will work. Where do you live? I ask because that will help determine who would be a good provider. IN the states, Cingular, voicestream, and some att have sim cards. cingular is not full gsm yet but is working on it. voicestream is. you can get a sim card there but of course you will have to sign a one year agreement for service so you can use the card for a phone and for the gprs connection for internet service. I as well am wondering how good it works for connection to net and cell phone. who ever has done that so far should leave a review on here so we can all findout about it and have some points of view on the pros and cons of it. thanks:)
yes, i agree a detailed review would be helpful. i live in the st. louis area. to sign for one-year service is better than TWO i guess :wink:

Birdman
08-09-2002, 02:19 PM
I am going to chime in with another dumb question because I am new to the GSM "issues". For example, I can walk into my local Telus or Fido store here in Toronto and get an activated SIM card and then use it and the CF GSM card and my old 3635 will become a cell phone?

refugee
08-09-2002, 11:46 PM
I am going to chime in with another dumb question because I am new to the GSM "issues". For example, I can walk into my local Telus or Fido store here in Toronto and get an activated SIM card and then use it and the CF GSM card and my old 3635 will become a cell phone?
good question, only with my HP 568 in the cf type 1 slot?
so far, at&t, (or was it voicestream?), has said they only will accept either an IPAQ with the sleeve, or a Sierra AirCard they will sell me for USD299, but for GPRS only, NO cell-phone function allowed...i have to use it for GPRS only!!! :evil: :cry:

Matilda444
09-12-2002, 03:15 AM
I've got an Audiovox RTM-8000 sitting here.

I've also got an AT&T mMode Voice/Data SIM card that only wants to "do" GSM/Voice when inserted into the iPAQ GSM/GPRS Jacket.

Do you think it's worth my time and bother to try the RTM-8000?

Is it gonna work? Voice AND Data?

Any other USA AT&T mMode Customers have experience with this stuff they can/will share?

Thanks!!!