View Full Version : Windows XP Media Center Edition

Jason Dunn
07-29-2002, 03:00 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp</a><br /><br />Formerly code-named "Freestyle", the Windows XP Media Center Edition is an interesting and very focused push by Microsoft into the realm of home entertainment. From what I can tell, it's a suite of software tools for Windows XP and some specific hardware components. You have to watch the video to understand where Microsoft is going with this. I like the concept a great deal, but Microsoft is making two big assumptions here: that people can afford to purchase very large monitors capable of being viewed from ten feet away on a couch (in the video it looks like an 18 to 20" LCD), and that the computer is in a room where people would congregate. My computers are in my office, not the living room. Of course, Microsoft may want us to buy computers to put in the living room.<br /><br />I think this would be a far more compelling technology if there was a way to connect the "magic box" to your TV set and to your PC, and have your PC drive the content on the screen of your TV. Size matters, and I'd much rather view photos and video clips on a 51" TV vs. a 17" LCD monitor. That said, it might be interesting to build a wee <a href="http://www.shuttleonline.com/">Shuttle computer</a> and put it next to my DVD player by the TV. Hmm.<br /><br />Here's a blurb about the product:<br /><br />"Media center PCs will be complete desktop PCs enhanced for home entertainment, and will come equipped with all the necessary hardware to deliver both powerful computing and an enjoyable home entertainment experience. Media center PCs will include mid- to high-end processors, more than enough memory for your computing and entertainment needs, high capacity hard disks, and CD-ROM/DVD drives, and will have advanced graphics and audio capabilities as well as networking connectivity. In addition, each media center PC will come with the following components for enhancing the entertainment experience:<br /><br />• A Media Center compatible remote control that keeps all of the entertainment on your PC within easy reach. The Media Center compatible remote control complements the keyboard and mouse. <br />A remote infrared (IR) sensor that allows the remote control to communicate with the PC, and also controls your cable or satellite set-top box. <br />• An advanced graphics card for displaying the best TV experience on your PC monitor. <br />• A TV tuner that captures your TV signal from a cable, satellite, or antenna source. <br />• A hardware encoder that enables you to record TV shows from cable, satellite, or antenna to your computer's hard disk." Source: <a href="http://www.flashenabled.com/mobile">pt</a>

FredMurphy
07-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Got a 42" plasma screen hooked up to a PC, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. :) Only downside might XP putting up with the native resolution of 848x480 (Win2k is fine with it).....

Fred

JMountford
07-29-2002, 04:05 PM
I had a set up like this a few years ago under windows 98 using a variety of Third Party Solutions. Anir Multimedia Remote being a key component. To have native support from Windows would be nice. Now trying to get a plasma Screen or a 21 inch monitor on a tight budget that may be a trick.

dave
07-29-2002, 04:44 PM
so am i reading this right.... no tv-out in the specs? not even for an hd set?

hmmmmm. not cool. :?

pt
07-29-2002, 05:04 PM
so am i reading this right.... no tv-out in the specs? not even for an hd set? hmmmmm. not cool. :?

of course it has tv-out, after all -you can hook it up to a tv- as far a hdtv, um, that's something that i hope no one bakes into a any product yet, it's not exactly here for the masses. but here's the good news, with a media center pc, you could simply upgrade a card and now you're hdtv or whatever new standard comes along, i wish my current tv could do that...

cheers,
pt

Hawkeyes
07-29-2002, 05:15 PM
The Media PC idea is great, and a lot of home theater types already have dedicated HT PCs. But this is just the first or second step for MS in my opinion (and most peoples opinions).

Apply the ideas of the media PC to a small, cheap, architecturally stable box. One that fits in with the rest of the HT components. Now add game playing to it. And how about the second attempt at Palladium type hadware security. Sounds like Xbox 2 to me. And I think it's a good thing.

johnm
07-29-2002, 05:16 PM
This thing was designed for TV out. The main reason for the new menuing interface is to be used with a remote control on a lower resolution device such as a TV.

The video was pretty lame for showing a croud of people staring at a small LCD from the couch. But on a bin screen those types of activities will be just fine.

I have been using a computer in my living room connected to my TV as a media hub for over a year now, and it is pretty cool. I have a wireless keyboard. You can't do a lot of web browsing at the lower res, but playing streaming media, Divx files, MP3s (with cool winAmp visuals), photo slide shows and games are all great. My primary use is as a digital VCR using Creative's DVCR. It even has a remote control and captures in MPEG2 which is easily converted to DIVX for archiving.

This type of setup can be done very cheap this days. It's a perfect use for one of your 'hand - me - down' machines. A low end Geforce2 MX with Tv out will run you around 40.00, as will a wireless keyboard mouse combination. I was even able to pick up the DVCR for 50.00 after rebate.

don dre
07-29-2002, 05:55 PM
All this media center talk (I havebeen using my computer as my media center for a few months and as my stereo for a few years) leads me to believe the ATI All-in-Wonder 8500 does not work. Is this the case or is it just tough to swallow because you have to use it as your main video card? It seems that it already does all of these functions. With MS I am worried that I will have to use their media player instead of the one of my choice. As for the plasma guy, I am jealous. My 19" monito is too small.

pt
07-29-2002, 06:06 PM
With MS I am worried that I will have to use their media player instead of the one of my choice. As for the plasma guy, I am jealous. My 19" monito is too small.

from the video, it appears that there is not any specific media player and it's more like ultimate tv when you're in that mode.

cheers,
pt

possmann
07-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Interesting. I was wondering when they were going to do something like this. In fact I was hoping for more of “add-on” stuff you could purchase/download if you have what it takes to meet the hardware requirements. I was also hoping for something that would hook into your entertainment receiver already – OR – at the least be a complete and total replacement for your stereo receiver.
In the first scenario – hook into your receiver – you can still use your computer as a computer in the “traditional” sense (word processor etc…) OR use it in the entertainment mode – listening to WMA’s/MP3’s, watching DVD’s, streaming audio/video from a cable/DSL hookup etc. In that sense it would be an extension to what you already have piped in through your existing receiver and then using your existing HDTV and speaker system. That of course has its limitations and can (sort of) be accomplished today albeit not in a higher-quality mode.
The second scenario I would envision the product to replace the receiver and allow it to tune to local and web-based radio stations, hook a multi-changer DVD or CR player into it – hook real stereo surround speakers into it (Klipsch – right Jason :wink: ) as well as a HDTV (Plasma or other) into it. You’d also be able to hook your satellite or cable TV stations into this receiver so it could, potentially, allow you to use it as a recorder, being able to record a program coming in from cable/satellite or local TV stations for viewing or burning to a DVD later. You would also be hooked into the net via DSL or Cable and be able to execute everything from a PDA like device. Which, could act as another video/audio source thereby allowing someone else to work their email while watching a DVD or TV program, or using it to scan through other channels – sort of a split-screen mode where the small screen is displayed on the PDA device instead of the corner of the large screen – would also be the same for radio stations.
How far am I off with what this Entertainment System is from Microsoft? I was not able to watch the video yet…

draiken
07-29-2002, 11:26 PM
The above setup proposed by possmann would be great adding the "upcoming" Mira stuff MS is planning to put into XP...

If you don't know what I'm talking about, search for Mira in microsoft.com it is supposedly a LCD monitor for your "Main" Desktop PC, that you can Detach and use as a tablet PC, communicating via WiFi to your "Main" PC or server.

If you could have your PC work as a server with as many screens as you'd like, take the TV, the monitor, the tablet pc, the pda, that would be great. You could be watching movies while checking your e-mail on the PDA, and the wife could be browsing in the tablet PC....

klinux
07-30-2002, 12:48 AM
See http://www.media-box.org/ . I have yet to try this out through or see how it would run with my mini, nearly silent PC.http://www.shuttleonline.com/sv24.htm

Madoc Owain
07-30-2002, 01:51 PM
Putting a Windows desktop on a television screen is quite literally painful to watch. I don't think TV-OUT software has evolved much since 1995, I know the hardware hasn't changed much. I remember having to switch my desktop resolution to 640x480, drop the refresh rate to 60Hz, then ATTEMPT to get the edges of the display to align properly with the display on the TV, all the while nearly crossing my eyes because the lower-resolution TV display is fuzzing all the text to unreadability. Sure. I want THAT again.

Now, IF HDTV ever flies and we have that super-hi-res gigantosaurus rex display in every home, then there will be a market for the PC as a media center. For the time being, I just can't go from 1600x1200 on a 21" monitor to 640x480 on a 27" television. Uh-uh.

I had the same thoughts as you about using the new Shuttle-51 as a PC for the media area.. reminds me of a somewhat larger version of the GameCube. The IDEA is sound, but the implementation.. we ARE talking about M$ here ;-)

M.O.
http://www.madocowain.com

pt
07-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Putting a Windows desktop on a television screen is quite literally painful to watch.

i think the main point of this product is to use that big ole' 19" monitor as your tv. some people in apartment / dorm envrioments need to save the space, but still want all the things a tv, dvd, computer, stereo can do..

cheers,
pt

jdhill
07-30-2002, 05:08 PM
Putting a Windows desktop on a television screen is quite literally painful to watch.
Some of you might want to go look at the Media Center Web pages again. Go here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/delivers/delivers.asp and scroll to the bottom of the page and view the screens.

They are not trying to put a Windows desktop on a TV screen. They are trying to put a small subset of Windows UI related to digital media on the screen. And they are using very large font size for the text.

They don't intend for you to read and write your e-mail and surf the web with this UI. They intend for you to listen to your MP3 files, and view your JPGs, MPEGs, DVDs and TV with this UI.

The main input method is a Remote Control, not a keyboard and mouse.

The entire input and output paradigm is different and it never was intended to be your primary PC.

Jason Dunn
07-30-2002, 05:41 PM
They are not trying to put a Windows desktop on a TV screen. They are trying to put a small subset of Windows UI related to digital media on the screen. And they are using very large font size for the text.

Right. Which is why I think it would look OK on a TV screen. This is a great concept for loft dwellers, but I think it would work really nicey on a TV set as well.