View Full Version : Wireless help Please

CoreyJF
07-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Here is the problem. My ipaq with wireless network card canot access certain websites. Times out after a few minutes. Most sites open fine, but certain sites just time out. I can connect to those sites e.g. real.com from my desktop and from the ipaq when it is in the cradle. It can also access those sites at a few local wifi hotspots, just not on my network. On my Desktop connected to a dsl modem using Windows XP Proffesional I am not using ICS, but I tried running to wizard and this did not clear up the problem. Thanks for any help :)

Jason Dunn
07-27-2002, 11:36 PM
It sounds like a DNS problem - what DNS are you pointed at?

CoreyJF
07-27-2002, 11:49 PM
DNS on the ipaq is set to the desktop 192.168.0.1 on the desktop it looks like it is pointed to verizon my dsl provider. Although I am not a networking guy. For the verizon connection I followed xp's instructions for setting up a PPPoE connection.

Small Town Man
07-28-2002, 12:32 AM
It sound that you don't have any internet access at all and the web pages that seem to work come from your PPC web cache.

Try the following:

Open a DOS box on your Desktop.
Ping a web page
"ping www.pocketpcthoughts.com"
You will get the IP of the web page "207.34.121.16"

after you got the IP try to ping that IP from your PPC
you may need vxutil for that (it's free)
http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html

try this with different web pages

If the ping fails, your network connection does not work.
If the ping works, your network connecting is working and you can try to ping the web address (www.pocketpcthoughts.com) from you PPC.

If this fails you have a DNS problem.

willkess71
07-28-2002, 01:48 AM
Sometimes there are settings on the access point that need to be made so that you can access the internet wirelessly. That may be a source of difficulty.

Good Luck!

CoreyJF
07-28-2002, 02:51 AM
It's not cached beacuse I can launch MSN IM and AOL's IM client. I can ping some sights just not the ones that I can't open. What settings do I need to change on my WAP?

Jason Dunn
07-28-2002, 08:20 PM
It's not cached beacuse I can launch MSN IM and AOL's IM client. I can ping some sights just not the ones that I can't open. What settings do I need to change on my WAP?

Can you ping the IP addresses? If you can't, it's not a DNS problem. Can you ping the full domains? Is your AP set to use your ISP DNS?

CoreyJF
07-29-2002, 12:04 AM
I can ping some addresses but not others. I for instance www.pocketpcthoughts.com comes up fine but www.real.com times out when I ping it from my ipaq? I checked the configuration on the WAP and thate gateway is set to 192.168.0.1 Can't figure out what is going on.

Jason Dunn
07-29-2002, 12:45 AM
The gateway is set to an internal IP address - do you have an entry for a DNS? At the very least your gateway should be set to auto sense or to your ISP....but the internal one won't do anything. I think... :-) My wireless access point is different from yours, so it's hard to know what to suggest...have you tried calling tech support for your AP?

Small Town Man
07-29-2002, 03:40 AM
Your DSL is connected to your desktop which is 192.168.0.1?
Your WAP uses your desktop as gateway, so 192.168.0.1 as gateway for the WAP is fine.

Did you try to ping real.com from your desktop? I did and it did not work. But I can access real.com. So I guess they use a firewall that blocks ping.

You may try to ping (from your desktop) the other sites that do not work and see if it is the same.
Can you provide some more examples of web sites that do not work? May be we can find something they have in common.
In that case your WAP may use some strange IP information that they block.
What is the brand of your WAP?

CoreyJF
07-29-2002, 04:20 AM
Same thing happens with www.ibm.com can't ping it from my desk but can accesses it, and it times out on my ppc wirelessly. Can only access the site if connected to the usb activsyc
I am using Linksys network access point model wap11
yes my IP on the desk is set to 192.168.0.1 and it is connected to my dsl. The desktop is wired into the first port on my Netgear ethernet hub. The wap is connected to the second port on the Netgear hub.
Any Ideas? and thanks for all the help so far. :-)

Kaber
08-12-2002, 08:10 PM
Similar problems. Also, i can sync with my desktop at home over the network, but when I sync at work it only stays connected for like 30 seconds or it will spontaneously drop the connection when I try and file explore it from the PC desktop. And conversely, I can see shared folders on my work network, but not my home network. This is all so confusing.