View Full Version : An Attempt to Deliver on the Promise of True Portability

Jason Dunn
07-26-2002, 10:37 PM
<a href="http://www4.tomshardware.com/newsletter/vol2/28/pacebook.html">http://www4.tomshardware.com/newsletter/vol2/28/pacebook.html</a><br /><br />I know some of us here are interested in the Tablet PC, so this review may be of interest to you. It's a well-written review, except for the end where the author wonders what it would be like running the Palm OS. What, did someone smack him with the PaceBook at the end of the article? Anyway, check it out - very detailed review.<br /><br />"The concept of flat panel PC technology is not a new one. In the early 1980s, computer manufacturer, GRID, introduced one of the first tablet-oriented PCs. Unfortunately, the lack of a robust operating system held the technology down to the point where it was almost not worth using. With the advances in portable computing technology, both in the PDA and the operating system department, tablet PC technology is once again alive and well. Microsoft foresees tablet PC technology as one very important vehicle in achieving their overall strategy of information anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Still, it is clear that advancements in handwriting recognition, voice recognition and overall user interface input must first occur in order to make these tablet PCs truly worthwhile to use. If using a tablet PC is more complicated and more difficult to use than using a standard laptop, then why not use a standard laptop? <br /><br />Pace Blade has the unique distinction of being one of the first companies who has designed a new tablet PC to re-ignite the tablet PC market. PaceBlade's unique blend of technology and aesthetics might be enough to overcome an operating system that is not quite up to snuff. We at THG still believe that much attention to detail must be paid to both the handwriting recognition and the speech recognition input facilities of the PC in order for the tablet to be a true success. Other aesthetics, such as weight, battery life and size, must also fall within certain parameters in order for the tablet PC device to be truly useful. Upon inspection, it would appear that PaceBlade has made significant strides in the design of the PaceBook; however, as you will see in this review, tablet PC technology still may not be completely ready for prime time."

jdhill
07-27-2002, 12:32 AM
Note that this device is not an "official" Microsoft Tablet PC. It is running Windows XP, not Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. Also, it does not meet the hardware requirements for a Tablet PC, specifically it has a touch sensitive screen, not a resistance based screen (which requires a special stylus, but has the advantage of NOT responding to your hand resting on the screen).

That said, it is an interesting device. Nice review too.

JMountford
07-27-2002, 03:06 PM
This is a very nice looking device. I am kinda interrested in the Tablet PC. I wonder if you can combine a tablet PC with a Mira Display?

TinMan
07-27-2002, 06:20 PM
Note that this device is not an "official" Microsoft Tablet PC. It is running Windows XP, not Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. Also, it does not meet the hardware requirements for a Tablet PC, specifically it has a touch sensitive screen, not a resistance based screen (which requires a special stylus, but has the advantage of NOT responding to your hand resting on the screen).

That said, it is an interesting device. Nice review too.

I've seen resistive touch screens that do not require any special stylus (can you cite models that do?), and work fine with finger-tip input:
http://www.3m.com/3MTouchSystems/Products/Resistive/PL75.jhtml

Personally, I would not even consider a Tablet PC if it required a special stylus for input. A Mira prototype I tested at CES had a very nice (large) on-screen keyboard (not that I'm confusing a Tablet PC with Mira). Considering how I envision using the device (either Mira or Tablet PC), a large on-screen keyboard is a must.

From the review:
"Pointing Device: TouchScreen Four-wire Resistive technology"
(I assume, based on the term "TouchScreen," they are referring to the screen, not the glide pad on the keyboard.)

As for the review, I might not agree with some of the opinions (suggesting Palm OS as the operating system, while calling XP "'smoke and mirrors' Windows operating system" is a bit absurd), I commend the level of detail (as usual with THG). By covering the product in detail I can come to my own conclusions rather easily.

-Mike Lynch

jdhill
07-27-2002, 08:30 PM
I've seen resistive touch screens that do not require any special stylus (can you cite models that do?), and work fine with finger-tip input:
http://www.3m.com/3MTouchSystems/Products/Resistive/PL75.jhtml

Personally, I would not even consider a Tablet PC if it required a special stylus for input. A Mira prototype I tested at CES had a very nice (large) on-screen keyboard (not that I'm confusing a Tablet PC with Mira). Considering how I envision using the device (either Mira or Tablet PC), a large on-screen keyboard is a must.
This is a quote from the Microsoft Tablet PC Requirements page:

"An electromagnetic digitizer: The electromagnetic digitizer is a special panel that sits behind the screen and communicates with a special pen. Because of the digitizer's high resolution, handwriting recognition is more accurate and ink looks more realistic. Unlike a resistive-touch screen, the digitizer makes it possible to rest your hand on the screen while writing."

Here's the URL for the page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/productinfo/sysreq.asp

All Microsoft Tablet PCs must have this type of screen. Other requirements are listed on that page as well.

Jason Dunn
07-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Personally, I would not even consider a Tablet PC if it required a special stylus for input.

In my mind, the advantages of using the Wacom technology far outweigh the disadvantage of perhaps losing the pen. Being able to erase with the pen, multiple levels of pressure sensitivity, and not having to worry about leaning your hand on the screen - these are advantages that shouldn't be overlooked IMO.

jdhill
07-27-2002, 10:30 PM
In my mind, the advantages of using the Wacom technology far outweigh the disadvantage of perhaps losing the pen. Being able to erase with the pen, multiple levels of pressure sensitivity, and not having to worry about leaning your hand on the screen - these are advantages that shouldn't be overlooked IMO.
I agree with Jason. Since the Tablet PC devices will have laptop sized screens, you WANT to be able to rest your hand on the screen when you write.

I had a chance to briefly try one of these out recently at a local Microsoft function. It was the Acer convertible one that switches between a laptop and tablet by unlocking and rotating the screen (think CLIE NR70). I can see a market for these devices. I'm not sure the market will end up as large as Microsoft hopes, but there are a number of people for whom a device like this will be a great solution.

TinMan
07-28-2002, 03:56 PM
This is a quote from the Microsoft Tablet PC Requirements page:

"An electromagnetic digitizer: The electromagnetic digitizer is a special panel that sits behind the screen and communicates with a special pen. Because of the digitizer's high resolution, handwriting recognition is more accurate and ink looks more realistic. Unlike a resistive-touch screen, the digitizer makes it possible to rest your hand on the screen while writing."

Here's the URL for the page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/productinfo/sysreq.asp

All Microsoft Tablet PCs must have this type of screen. Other requirements are listed on that page as well.

:?:

Color me confused. Aren't you the one who wrote, "it does not meet the hardware requirements for a Tablet PC, specifically it has a touch sensitive screen, not a resistance based screen?" I simply responded to your comment.

Perhaps you should have checked that URL first? ;)

Regardless, I know what the "requirements" are--I'm writing an app, originally intended for PPC, that might use TPC (which would involve purchasing thousands of devices). However, my client will not go along with targeted-input. They need to be able to input data, primarily check-boxes, and drop-down lists. They neither need, nor want, HWR (IMO, neither do the masses). Further, the app needs to work via "touch" (i.e., your hand "touches" the screen), with any stylus, or even with a gloved-hand (not a special glove: work-gloves).

-Mike

TinMan
07-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Personally, I would not even consider a Tablet PC if it required a special stylus for input.

IMO, if all Tablet PCs require a special stylus they will fail (again). Aside from industrial, medical, etc. (even then, I don't see HWR being welcome) use I can't see all manufactures going along with such a requirement--even if it means losing the blessing of being an "official" Tablet PC (to wit: the product in this review, which is being marketed as a "Tablet PC," though it obviously isn't using you-know-what).

Resistive touch-screens can be made so that they do not respond to your hand resting on them (i.e., large depressed areas can be ignored). They can handle pressure sensitivity too, which already exists in at least some PPCs today--no need for a special stylus. IMHO, if MS rigidly enforces targeted-input LCDs for Tablet PCs, it's a mistake (I certainly won't buy one).

I can only hope someone will make a Mira-based laptop. Of course, that's only for me--I can't base an application I'm developing on Mira (Mira needs to be tied to a PC within 802.11b/a/whatever range). Of course I'm aware of, and have tested, many non-TPC -- but TBC-like -- devices, but in general they carry a higher premium than TBCs (educated assumption).

-Mike

jdhill
07-28-2002, 05:13 PM

Color me confused. Aren't you the one who wrote, "it does not meet the hardware requirements for a Tablet PC, specifically it has a touch sensitive screen, not a resistance based screen?" I simply responded to your comment.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, what I meant to say was electromagnetic, not resistive.

TinMan
07-28-2002, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the correction. Yes, what I meant to say was electromagnetic, not resistive.

No problem (look at my posts: how the heck did I go from Tablet PC to TPC, and then on to TBC?!).

Anyway, sorry about my (I think) caustic tone. I'm just stressed as the app I referred to is rather intense (it's been in quasi-development since 1997). At the 11th hour, I got word that approval came in to implement it (can't say much publicly, only that it's for the (print) media industry). The bottom line is I need to be ready to run parallel September of this year--and go live in October (bells and whistles have to wait till November). Oh yea, that's with a new list of 444 product must-haves! (Not kidding--exactly 444.) Stress? I thrive on it! :)

Seriously, the Tablet PC/PPC is only one part of this app, but I guess I'm sort of sensitive to anything that might be a hurdle. I come to places like PPCT to relax and forget about work for awhile, but I guess this TPC article hit too close to home... err, "work."

Regards,
Mike