View Full Version : Spoken directions while driving

onemanband
07-26-2002, 05:28 PM
maybe someone can help.

In my never ending quest to find a cheap/good way to do something, I had the bright idea of having a text to speech program read off the directions from pocket streets 2002 via my new car audio/ppc conection, thereby avoiding the investment of a few hundred on a gps system - i don't drive all over the place for work, but i love to tinker.

Alas, pocket streets does not support the direction aspect of the desktop software, and though I can export the directions as text to Word, pocket Word loses all the original's nifty formatting. I haven't bothered with the text to speech yet, as I feel like my wings have already been clipped.

Do any other map programs or route planners support line by line text direction/route without the GPS module?

CoreyJF
07-26-2002, 10:15 PM
There are a couple text to speech porgrams. Fonix ( I believe is the spelling) makes one. You could copy text or driving directions and have it read it back to you. But nothing but a gps can know where you are and read as you get there. I am seeling one on ebay, recently upgarded my my ipaq. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1369009309 If you don't have an 3600 or 3700 ipaq you might be able to find a cheap on on ebay or used through another medium.