View Full Version : HP: Jornada users won't be neglected

Jason Dunn
07-25-2002, 12:00 AM
<a href="http://zdnet.com.com/2110-1103-946014.html">http://zdnet.com.com/2110-1103-946014.html</a><br /><br />Good news for us Jornada owners!<br /><br />"Hewlett-Packard has promised to provide at least three years of technical support to its Jornada handheld users worldwide, despite dropping the product line after merging with Compaq Computer. All Jornada handhelds will be phased out by year end--with the exception of the Jornada 720, which resembles a mini-notebook, and the Jornada 928, which features telephony capabilities. "HP is committed to supply replaceable parts for a minimum of three years from the date of purchase, including the first year warranty," company spokesperson Cecilia Pang told CNETAsia. Pang could not commit to repair services beyond that period, adding that "it would depend on the availability of parts."

JonnoB
07-25-2002, 01:03 AM
The first line got me all excited, then I was disapointed. At first I thought it may have been a reversal of the earlier decision to go with one line of devices.

I would minimally expect at least continued tech support, so for them to announce this is like someone announcing the sky is blue. The opposite would have been a PR nightmare.

jmulder
07-25-2002, 01:07 AM
Although this is great news, the product support used to go 5 years from discontinuing the product.

In all honesty, in three years most of us will have upgraded to a new product or left the PPC world for some other new gadget.

-Jim

Will T Smith
07-25-2002, 01:14 AM
Most of us will upgrade within the next 9 months ... ;-)

I always reacted strongly to sales clerks trying to sell me three year service plans on PDA's. One year is just enough to "upgrade." ;-)

Jason Dunn
07-25-2002, 04:44 AM
The first line got me all excited, then I was disapointed. At first I thought it may have been a reversal of the earlier decision to go with one line of devices.

That would be the headline of "HP Jornada users won't be abanonded". Sorry...we're still screwed. :evil:

yawanag
07-26-2002, 07:46 PM
I agree with all the above posts. Five months after I got my HP, it was on the way out. The HP Jornada was fabulous, but the support was lousy. I like to believe it was because it was on the way to being discontinued. If HP continues to pass the buck the way it has done in the past, it seems you're pretty much on your own once you buy the product. I've got so many excellent programs that fit my lifestyle that I'll probably hang on to it until something ethereal comes along. I'm sure it will be before 3 yrs.