View Full Version : RealNetworks to stream WMA files?

Ed Hansberry
07-23-2002, 05:00 PM
<a href="http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/07/22/020722hnhelixupdate.xml">http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/07/22/020722hnhelixupdate.xml</a><br /><br />It looks like WMA is a file format that is expanding beyond being a proprietary Microsoft format. "RealNetworks Monday unveiled new software that can distribute streamed audio and video in a range of formats, including rival Microsoft's Windows Media format, and announced a shared source code initiative that is backed by a slew of industry players."<br /><br />I prefer WMA over MP3 at lower bitrates, which I use on my Pocket PC to cram as many songs on my CF and SD cards as possible. I thought it was interesting that Real, Inc. was now supporting Microsoft's WMA streaming format. Anyone know if the server will dynamically stream RealAudio and WMA depending on the client? I am not a big fan of Real software and have been reluctant to install their client on my Pocket PC. If their Helix server detects that I can decode WMAs, perhaps I won't need to.

JonnoB
07-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Somehow Real reverse engineers the WMA format but can't seem to make a compellingly better format of their own? As the article eludes, I bet there is a lawsuite and an accusation of IP theft in the making.

dma1965
07-23-2002, 06:21 PM
I hope that Windows adds Real Networks media support to Windows Media Player as well. Frankly, I like Windows Media Player, and hate having to have so many different decoders on my system, and I hate the intrusive nature of RealOne player with a passion. :evil:

st63z
07-23-2002, 06:34 PM
Anyone know what the future is for Dolby's AAC, which seems to be getting consumer electronics support? Isn't it an (optional?) audio track for MPEG-4?

Dave Conger
07-23-2002, 07:24 PM
I don't understand why this is so hard to believe. Basically don't you just have to download a WM SDK to be able to integrate WMA or WMA streaming or anything like that. You can plug the WME SDK into VB or C++ just like WMP...

Sven Johannsen
07-23-2002, 07:30 PM
Great, so now we can have Windows Media Advertising streamed onto our box as well as Real Advertising. Still won't be a real player on my machines.

Bob Anderson
07-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Sounds to me like a get rich scheme for a bunch of attorneys in the Pacific Northwest. With Real and MSFT headquartered not more than 20 miles apart, some enterprising attorneys must have encouraged Real to do this, to drum up some intellectual property lawsuits. :idea:

This story, while new now, will get old in a hurry... when all we hear about is Microsoft suing Real, and then Real countersuing for, ahhhem, anti-competitive behaivor maybe? :roll:

klinux
07-23-2002, 11:20 PM
MPEG-4 for everything!! The only mainstream company that I know that is actively pushing AAC is Apple's which uses the MPEG-4 AAC codec in Quicktime 6.

Thsi is my personal opinion but the more I use a Mac the more I am convinced that they are at the forefront with digital media.

Take1
07-24-2002, 09:27 AM
I like Windows Media Player for playing back all things video. Somehow Real got installed on my system (I think my AOL broadband CD did it) and it's come in handy for some RAM streaming, but the psycho register screen, hijacking of files types, and Start Center as defaults make me loathe everything Real Network.