View Full Version : Sony, Sony, Sony, please come to Pocket PC....

CoffeeKid
07-23-2002, 05:00 AM
Man o man. Anyone seen the new (gasp Palm OS) Clie SL10 yet?

http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?hierc=9684x9745x9911&catid=9911&itemid=45721

All of that, in that form factor, for $150? Lemme see now, how much are those hyper expensive LCD enabled "super remotes" again? :)

I think Sony has released 6 devices in 7 months so far this year for Palm.

When... please gods of the PDA when, will Sony come and innovate the world of the PPC?

Mark

Dave Conger
07-23-2002, 05:40 AM
The SL10 is a nice low-end device. Much more to my liking then a Palm 105 or 125 which is about the same price. Interesting the chose to go with AAA instead of Lithium....but high res screen, gotta love that.

Sony releases devices like a cheeta. And they aren't just "crap" products either, they actually are real upgrades on the previous version or new styles. I too would like to see what Sony could do with a Pocket PC, but people are saying there is some bad blood between Microsoft and Sony or something. Two things I think Sony would bring the the table would be higher resolution screens and slightly different style devices.

Jason Dunn
07-23-2002, 02:26 PM
Yes, Sony and Microsoft do not get along - it will take quite a few years before they cooperate (if ever).

SirG
07-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Too bad 'cause I would most certainly buy a Clie if it was a PPC...

draiken
07-23-2002, 04:25 PM
My first PDA was a Philips Nino 500, then an HP Jornada 430C, then a Jornada 548, an iPaq for 2 days... and now a Jornada 568... probably many will disagree, but HP got me, they used to make great devices and have great support and reliability.

Unfortunatelly the long line is over... deciding to go over to the crappy iPaq over the beatiful Jornada... I still haven't got over that...

But if Sony made a PocketPC, mi dilemma would be over... I wouldn't have to think twice about it. Right now the future of the PocketPCs is kinda uncertain... iPaqs are crap, Toshiba stinks as a brand in almost everything they do (I still have to actually see an e700 something or whatever...) and the Loox seems like a good thing... but still not a reality...

MobiliT
07-26-2002, 02:03 AM
My first PDA was a Philips Nino 500, then...
My first PDA device was a Cassiopeia A-11, though I always lusted over the Philips Velos (at the time). 8)

Dave Conger
07-26-2002, 07:37 AM
My first PDA was a Philips Nino 500..

As was mine!

Since this is an off-topic thread about Sony's budget PDA, don't you find it kind of funny that Palm has cut prices on their devices to compete, yet still didn't cut them enough. They brought the m125 down to $179 I think. I guess there might be that $20 rebate on top of that now, but this is unbelievable that people would but the m125 instead of something like the SL10...which is new, better preforming, and cheaper...

Jason Dunn
07-26-2002, 03:27 PM
...though I always lusted over the Philips Velos (at the time). 8)

I remember reading a review of all the HPC 1.0 devices in boot magazine, and I just KNEW I had to get the Velo. I paid something insane like $1600 CND to get the stupid thing (with shipping + duty + GST, etc.) and then it wouldn't work until I got a second COMPUTER - because HPC Explorer 1.0 wouldn't work in a PC with two NIC cards - which I had at the time to share the cable modem with another computer. So my investment in getting a Velo 1 was about $3000 CND.

Oh those were the days... :roll:

cooldw57
10-20-2003, 01:13 AM
it should be good news that Sony has no intent to step into the PPC industry. We want some competition going, if there's any...Handspring-Palm merge has already damaged the entire Palm community, HP-Compaq merge is also a bad news for us PPC users. Sony, as the last defense agaisnt microsoft, should never cooperate with microsoft

dh
10-20-2003, 01:36 AM
it should be good news that Sony has no intent to step into the PPC industry. We want some competition going, if there's any...Handspring-Palm merge has already damaged the entire Palm community, HP-Compaq merge is also a bad news for us PPC users. Sony, as the last defense agaisnt microsoft, should never cooperate with microsoft
I think the Palmone Handspring deal might turn out good for Palm.

Handspring just didn't have the resources to make it on their own and Palm could certainly use Handspring's Smartphone expertise.

Getting some talented people back in the team along with POS6 to look forward to, things will be interesting next year.

Having a stronger competitor will help make sure Microsoft and the OEMs produce better products for us as well.

And yes, I'd like a Sony PPC. Just leave out the memorystick please. :-)

shawnc
10-20-2003, 01:42 AM
Gotta admit, Sony, PPC, no memory stick.....just the very thought is enough to make one droll!

chunkymonkey75
10-20-2003, 02:08 AM
If I recall correctly. When Sony got into the PDA market, Microsoft still had very strict restrictions on the form factor and etc on Pocket PC's. Since then MS has lossened those restrictions a bit. Sony simply would not have been able to innovate like they have if they would have been PPC devices.

I also agree with earlier comments that compition is good. Sony (like Apple) has pushed the boundries and keep MS on their toes.

PetiteFlower
10-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Sony, blech. Not interested in buying anything from Sony until they ABOLISH the evil memory stick.

Jeff Rutledge
10-20-2003, 07:00 PM
Sony, blech. Not interested in buying anything from Sony until they ABOLISH the evil memory stick.

Agreed.

Plus I don't see Sony getting into bed with Microsoft anytime soon. Anything could happen of course, but I would be very surprised.

PetiteFlower
10-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Agreed on that too.

Just to be clear, it's not the presence of memory stick in a particular device that is an issue for me, the very EXISTENCE of it offends me, so until they stop putting it in their products altogether(which isn't likely), I won't be buying anything from Sony.

JustinGTP
10-21-2003, 02:10 AM
Why would a memory stick offend you? Thats kind of unrealistic. I don't like the memory stick because that means you are stuck with Sony Devices if you want to buy memory sticks. They arent universal.

-Justin.

PetiteFlower
10-21-2003, 03:21 AM
I don't think me never buying anything from Sony is unrealistic, there are plenty of other companies I can buy from.

Proprietary memory is just obnoxious. It's Sony trying to make its own wallet fatter and who cares about the needs of the consumers.

Jeff Rutledge
10-21-2003, 03:56 AM
Why would a memory stick offend you?

To me it's offensive that Sony is so arrogant as to create a standard that forces the user to buy more Sony stuff to share data. If there weren't accepted standards available (CF, SD) it wouldn't be so bad. It's offensive that Sony is selling it as "Look at this great solution we've come up with" when we know it's really "now you can share data between a TV, a VCR, a Digital Camera, a Digital Video camera...as long as we get your money (insert evil grin here)."

...or something like that anyways (I'm a little tired).

maximus
10-27-2003, 02:32 AM
Resistance is futile. All of you should submit to sony's ideology, and be assimilated. You have to sell everything that you have, and replace them with sony's products.

Lets embrace memory stick, memory stick pro, memory stick pro duo, and accept them as the ultimate standard in storage.

JR, Petite, I see that both of you have been bad-mouthing sony's products lately. If you dont cease that activity immediately, I will send lawyers to your house and confiscate every single item in your house that is not memory-stik-friendly. :mrgreen:

AppleMac
10-27-2003, 11:27 AM
I agree with JR and PetiteFlower. Sony try to market it as a superior solution to SD, CF and the like. They make a song and dance about 'MagicGate Copyright Protection'. They rant about what an open platform it is and how it is so superior to everything else, when in fact it is Sony's way of making packets of money. What they don't think about is how their sales would go up if the Memory Stick was wiped off the face of the planet. Sony are the most innovative on the hardware front, but using Memory Sticks turns people off.
DIE MEMORY STICK! DIE!
(From an annoyed P800 owner who spent his entire summer searching for a 128mb Memory Stick Duo, only to have the high-speed variety announced a few days later)

Jeff Rutledge
10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
JR, Petite, I see that both of you have been bad-mouthing sony's products lately. If you dont cease that activity immediately, I will send lawyers to your house and confiscate every single item in your house that is not memory-stik-friendly. :mrgreen:

The part that's funny is that, despite my dislike of the whole memory stick thing, almost every piece of home electronics I own is a Sony. I do think they make a good product (plus I have to admit I do like it that all my components match). That all changed when I went shopping for new digital devices though. My new digital camera and digital video camera are both Canon's.

qmrq
11-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Have you seen Sony's TV sets? ;)