View Full Version : Help me decide which pocketPC should I get

nagasea
07-18-2002, 09:24 AM
I want to change my palm m515 to PocketPC.
Which one should I get ?
Im planning to get Toshiba or iPAQ

please help me decide

Thinkingmandavid
07-18-2002, 12:55 PM
Hello, it is good to hearyou are getting a PPC but in order for everyone to help you, we all need to know how are you planning on using it and for what purposes. As an example, just contacts,notes, and day planning, or do you need 802.11 for a wireless lan, and expansion for memory?
The Ipaq and the Toshiba are both great models. I do know that this week you can get the new Toshiba at Best Buy for 549 which is a good deal, it has the wirelesss lan, Secured digital memory, and compact flash memory. This is included in the price and in the unit, so nothing of those extra there. Just a basic start here.:)

nagasea
07-18-2002, 04:38 PM
but that's toshiba with wi-fi is so bulky.
i like the other series of toshiba (thinner), how's that one ?

JonnoB
07-18-2002, 05:13 PM
but that's toshiba with wi-fi is so bulky.
i like the other series of toshiba (thinner), how's that one ?

Thinner, but with less memory, no WiFi, slower processor, and only one expansion slot (SD) instead of two (SD/CF). You get what you pay for.

Dave Conger
07-18-2002, 08:07 PM
I would think you would want to go with a Toshiba e310. It is probably the device that is most similar to your m515 (assuming you liked your m515), is thin, and a has a good reputation. It also isn't very expensive for your first Pocket PC (I say first, because after one you will keep coming back :D )

nagasea
07-18-2002, 11:31 PM
so which one you guys suggest ?
IPAQ or Toshiba with Wi/Fi ?

spursdude
07-19-2002, 02:03 AM
i thought you said that the toshiba with wifi (aka the e740) was too bulky.

i would go with the toshiba e310 (the slim one), because its form factor is like the palm m515. the price is better, and the x-scale processor of the e740 hasn't been all that pleasing. if you really need wifi, go with the toshiba e740.

as for ipaqs, a few issues. first, what model are you looking at? the newest ones (the 3900 series) have really nice screens, but you'll pay for them. or, you could get an older model. however, i don't suggest ipaqs, mainly because of no built in CF slots. they do have an SD slot, but i prefer CF.

Malacandra
07-19-2002, 03:13 AM
You should get an audiovoc Maestro. They're cheap and have all the features of any othe PPC except no wifi.

ppc_addictted
07-20-2002, 09:05 AM
im also a Palm owner turning to PPC's because the PalmOS is so clumsy and their devices are way too slow.

I currently own a palm m100, i have had this since they first came out. When i saw that toshiba was going to make some PDA's i thought, bugger my Palm.

I am thinking about getting the e310, mainly to use at school and keeping track of appointments, contacts, etc.

what do you guys think?

Gallivant
07-20-2002, 04:51 PM
The Maestro is great... except that its battery life is among the worst on Earth. What use is all that expandability if the thing dies halfway through the day?

The e310 is an excellent choice if you don't need a Stowaway; the e740 isn't actually much bulkier than it, though. It's a bit taller and a hair thicker, but not enough to really matter - and I'm a superportability freak.

If you *do* need a Stowaway, the HP Jornada 568 is a damned sweet deal these days, and a great PPC to boot. A good bit larger than your 515, though.

Malacandra
07-20-2002, 08:26 PM
The Maestro is great... except that its battery life is among the worst on Earth. What use is all that expandability if the thing dies halfway through the day?

Well, I've never had that happen. Sorry, but I don't care what the battery life is, if you let your PPC die then you weren't charging it smartly. Sure, you've got to charge the Maestro more frequently. You've got to drive places don't you? Plug it into the car. You're going to be at your desk most of the day? Keep it in the cradle. What if you planned to be talking on your cell phone all day? Don't you think you'd have to charge it?

I am not claiming that the Audiovox has great battery life, just that it isn't really a big deal and hardly a weighty argument against all its other features. The "Maestro has the worst battery" argument is really old and tired.

OK, back on topic.

foldedspace
07-20-2002, 10:20 PM
I purchased an Audiovox Maestro as my first foray into pocket pc's. I'm very happy with it. The CF and SD slots combined with the price (I got mine for $260) sold me. Chances are you are going to buy software and accessories for your new device...take that into account when you make a decision.

Thinkingman
07-21-2002, 04:02 PM
Ok, there is nothing wrong with the maestro, and i agree, all it takes is some common sense to get a lot out of any pda for that matter. A car charger makes sense for a pda just like it does for your cell phones. I am safe to say that most of us on here have a car charger for our cell phones, so why not for a pda?
"you get what you pay for" well I think that statement is incorrect for the e310 from Toshiba, truth being it is an excellent product. Good size, weighs less, has expandable memory. 32 megs is not bad, bottom line is that it will hold lots of info with 32, and with the SD slot so what, more power to you in the memory arena:) If you read an article in Pen Computing JUly 2002 issue, it has good things to say in the article on page 74. It has the same processor as the Ipaq just less memory so lets all be fair. Every one of us will have preferences and have ones we like and dont like, but balance in knowing and truthfulness of a device is important. To truely love Pocket PC's we embrace all the Pocket PC family and realize that every one of them has an advantage disadvantage for everyone. Think about the Maestro please. A good price, weight, expandability, and options:) :D