View Full Version : SD vs CF Speeds

mashtim
07-18-2002, 06:05 AM
Does anyone know any details concerning the speeds of the SD and CF slots on the e740? They both seem to be quite slow, with the SD slot being even slower. Is this only my unit?

Jason Dunn
07-18-2002, 02:35 PM
How do you define "slow"? What application is it "slow" in? Are your MP3 audio or MPEG video files stuttering from memory card playback but fine in RAM? If so, you have a defective unit. If not, please be more specific. CF is faster than SD, but both are fast enough to run applications from and listen/watch digital media...

mashtim
07-18-2002, 05:54 PM
How do you define "slow"? What application is it "slow" in?

Well, I haven't done any formal timing tests or anything, but let's just say that when I load Mazingo, I can go and get a snack before I see the main menu. Then, when I want to actually look at something, I can go take the dog for a walk.

Now, I've tried syncing the data to both CF and SD, and they both are like that, with SD being maybe 4-5 times slower. Yes, I tend to have more data when I'm using a 128MB card to sync data to instead of main memory, but this is ridiculous!

I might have been a bit hasty in posting this question, though, as I haven't really tried running other memory-intensive programs from the cards. The problem might be Mazingo not being optimized or some other easily-fixed issue.

Jason Dunn
07-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Well, I haven't done any formal timing tests or anything, but let's just say that when I load Mazingo, I can go and get a snack before I see the main menu. Then, when I want to actually look at something, I can go take the dog for a walk.

Wow. Mazingo isn't all that fast, but I never have to wait for longer than three seconds or so for it to open up. Going into a channel takes under one second....this is all on internal RAM, but SD can't be THAT slow, can it? ;-)

mashtim
07-20-2002, 12:22 AM
Well, turns out it was just a hardware thing. Exchanged my e740 for a new one and the cards are working smashingly!

However, just for curiosity's sake, does anyone know the actual speeds of the CF and SD slots on the e740?