View Full Version : iZotope Photonshow

marlof
07-17-2002, 09:04 AM
<a href="http://www.photonshow.com/products/photo/photonshow/">http://www.photonshow.com/products/photo/photonshow/</a><br /><br />The peole at iZotope have taken their PhotonShow product beyond their initial <a href="http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=DXC1X2FCEXCA57CF621642399D3774X1&zsortParams=true&productId=23826&optionId=1_2_2&productType=2&catalog=30&txtSearch=photonshow&sectionId=0&platformId=2">freeware offering</a>. "PhotonShow lets you quickly make animated shows from your digital photos....and easily share them with others. Powerful, yet still unbelievably easy, PhotonShow gives you the ability to: <br />• Acquire photos directly from camera or Picture CD<br />• Select from a wide assortment of show themes created by professional designers<br />• Add voice and text captions<br />• Touch-up and enhance your photos<br />• Add a soundtrack<br />• Publish the show to the web and email the link to others<br />• Create a CD of shows you've created.<br />• Send shows to your Pocket PC and other mobile devices<br />• Make a show into your screensaver"<br /><br />The site has a great Flash demo of the product, and I bet you're going to be enthusiastic too when you see what this gem can do. PhotonShow Premium Edition has an introductory price of $39. It includes all the features of PhotonShow, over 50 professionally designed themes for your desktop PC, 16 Pocket PC themes, and allows you to share 250 MB of PhotonShows using the PhotonShow web sharing service. PhotonShow Basic Version is available for $29. It includes 10 Desktop PC themes and 2 Pocket PC themes. It does not include a subscription to the PhotonShow web sharing service.

sheik
07-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Well there doesn't seem to be a trial download but they do offer a 30 day money back period so I have put my money down.

If anyone has tried this product please post your thoughts here.

/\dam

sheik
07-17-2002, 07:03 PM
Well I was phoned up in the UK by the ordering company to confirm my order and the link to download the full product was duly sent.

I've just installed it and my Win98SE system now completely refuses to boot. I get a "Windows protection error" in DOS before Windows starts. :cry:

Going into safe mode and unistalling the app fixes my system (I hope) but needless to say I am not impressed at all.

So anyone thinking of paying for this as I have done - beware!

/\dam

iZotope
07-17-2002, 09:30 PM
FWIW, just wanted to let people know we got the support email and are working it out with Adam.

Most likely a CD burner conflict. That's the only thing that needs to be installed that could cause anything even remotely close to that. Unless of course the hard disk was close to full and we pushed it over the edge (it is a large product with all of the themes)

Anyhow, we did test extensively under Win98 SE but there's something special about Adam's system that's conflicting. We'll work it out.

Sincerely
Justin
iZotope, Inc.

sheik
07-17-2002, 10:57 PM
The people at http://www.izotope.com have been in contact and hopefully we will find a solution - I'll keep you posted.

/\

sheik
07-17-2002, 11:35 PM
I am happy to report that PhotonShow is now installed properly on my PC. :P

The people at iZotope were extremely helpful. I received two e-mails, one apologising for the problem and one containing directions for a possible fix.
There was also an offer to call me in the UK if I had any queries with the instructions. That is excellent customer service!

To fix my problem I had to install PhotonShow and then delete a DLL and VXD file that they ship for CD burning support. This shouldn't be a problem for me as I don't have a CD burner.

It is too late in the evening to play around with the software now but I'll give it a go soon and post a mini-review. It will be interesting to see how easy it is to create a snazzy looking slideshow for the Pocket PC.

/\dam

Jason Dunn
07-17-2002, 11:48 PM
To fix my problem I had to install PhotonShow and then delete a DLL and VXD file that they ship for CD burning support. This shouldn't be a problem for me as I don't have a CD burner.

It probably came with Windows Media Player - there was a well known issue last year where the Adaptec DLL for CD burning would cause all sorts of system crashes...