View Full Version : Palm Reader branches out to the desktop

Ed Hansberry
07-17-2002, 12:00 PM
<a href="http://www.peanutpress.com/product/reader/browse/free">http://www.peanutpress.com/product/reader/browse/free</a><br /><br />If you are interested in either creating or reading ebooks on your Pocket PC <i>and</i> your desktop, Palm Digital Media has something you may like. They now have their free Palm Reader available for Windows and Macintosh desktops. Clearly Palm Digital Media is gunning for far more than ebooks on your PDA, squaring off against Microsoft Reader. By having a version for Windows, Pocket PCs, Macs and PalmOS devices, the Palm ebook format is available on the widest array of devices, something to consider if you want a broad audience for your material. If I had to guess, I would say they are working on ebook formats suitable for technical and reference manuals, striving to be the de facto ebook format.<br /><br />Requirements for Mac is OS 8.6 or later, using CarbonLib 1.5 or later/Mac OS X 10.1 or later and for Windows is Windows 98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP. Their Windows CE support is second to none as well, supporting all Pocket PC's, Handheld PC's and Palm-sized PC's. <i>(Side note: I am seeing almost weekly another piece of software that doesn't support Windows 95.)</i> Source: Alan Barlow.

ipaq-PHD
07-17-2002, 01:25 PM
Wow ! This will really turn Palm Reader into an ebook force ...

markan
07-17-2002, 02:41 PM
And, of course, they finally have an easy to use book creation tool in eBook Studio. I am really surprised that no-one has mentioned the Studio before (or did I just miss it?).

Does anybody else spot anything ironic in the fact that the manual for the windows reader is still in pdf format!

ipaq-PHD
07-17-2002, 02:47 PM
DOes anybody else spot anything ironic in the fact that the manual for the windows reader is still in pdf format!

I saw that too ! :lol:

marlof
07-17-2002, 02:57 PM
And, of course, they finally have an easy to use book creation tool in eBook Studio. I am really surprised that no-one has mentioned the Studio before (or did I just miss it?).

I was supposed to do that, and then I went on holidays... thanks for the reminder. Will do that tomorrow or the day after.

Sslixtis
07-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Hands down the best eBook reader for PPCs out. I convert all my eBooks from BAENs Webscriptions (http://www.webscription.net/) to Palm Media Format using their eBook Studio. Now it looks like I wont even need MS Reader for my desktop anymore! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!! I love having control of my color preference for text and background! :lol:

thenikjones
07-17-2002, 10:53 PM
Great news. Most of the books I buy are business-type, so I can read them at work with no comments. Currently, when I sit reading from my Jornada, people walking by assume I'm playing games :roll:

Malacandra
07-18-2002, 04:30 AM
Well, OK , the software seems to work fine, but when I was reading in bed it's worthless. First of all, my keyboard kept slipping off my lap. Then, the monitor was crushing my ankles. The mouse didn't work so well since the bed isn't flat. Finally, the PC tower kept tipping over on my wife and waking her up. When I got up, all the power cords tripped me and I stubbed my toe on the power strip. 8O

Do they have a version for Pocket PC instead? Seems like that would be more portable, yes? :wink:

I've been a satisfied Peanutpress user for a long time. They are the only company with the same stuff that's on the shelf at Barnes & Noble. Hopefully this will simply lock them in as the top ebook provider. And their security system is good, too. No limits or software registering.

Jonathan1
07-18-2002, 07:21 AM
About freaking time.....

Martin I Pettinger
07-19-2002, 01:37 PM
I have successfully installed this software and authored my first e-book. However all is not well as a collegue seems to think that this software controvenes some encryption technology from Adobe and he has mentioned Dimitri Skylarov.

My colleague has also suggested that the technology that is used in this software contravenes US law - wow. This put a dampener on my achievements as I wanted to use this technology within my company. Can someone reassure me that I am not breaking the law!