View Full Version : Girlfriend wants a PDA, what do you recommend?

Zero101
07-16-2002, 12:30 AM
Ok... my girlfriend wants a PDA. Being a Pocket PC guy myself, I have pretty much nixed the idea of a Palm, because I want to be able to trade files with her (pictures, word documents, etc) on the fly.

But here's the problem. Pocket PC's are expensive. Not cheap. Mucho dinero. In other words... they cost alot.

I would love to find something in the mid-$200 or less range. If I went with a Palm, I would have a TON of options... (a Visor Edge, an M130, etc..), but unfortunately I don't have too many options on the Pocket PC side.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any options that I might have overlooked? Should I just give up the idea and give her a Palm?

Jeff Rutledge
07-16-2002, 12:49 AM
Ok... my girlfriend wants a PDA. Being a Pocket PC guy myself, I have pretty much nixed the idea of a Palm, because I want to be able to trade files with her (pictures, word documents, etc) on the fly.

But here's the problem. Pocket PC's are expensive. Not cheap. Mucho dinero. In other words... they cost alot.

I would love to find something in the mid-$200 or less range. If I went with a Palm, I would have a TON of options... (a Visor Edge, an M130, etc..), but unfortunately I don't have too many options on the Pocket PC side.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any options that I might have overlooked? Should I just give up the idea and give her a Palm?

As far as I know, the Toshiba e310 is the only one in that price range, but I think it's still more than that. I can't say for sure as I'm up north in Canada.

Ed Hansberry
07-16-2002, 02:04 AM
The Toshiba 310 is going to be your best bet unless you can find an Audiovox Maestro in stock.

JonnoB
07-16-2002, 02:21 AM
You can always try eBay.

When my wife wanted a new PDA for the one she broke, I asked if color was that important to her.... she said no and so I bought her an iPaq 3135 for $100 new. I am sure you can get better online.

dcharles18
07-16-2002, 03:58 AM
Look for an EM-500 on Ebay.

Dave Conger
07-16-2002, 06:02 AM
Zero, what PPC do you have?

If you were looking to go with a little older device, there are still iPAQ's available around and even the prices on the lower end 3800's are coming down quite fast.

Anthony
07-16-2002, 06:25 AM
I'd say an e310. Thin, good looking, and good price. It feels good when you hold it, and fits in your pocket without a bulge. Well constructed too.

Didn't like the maestro when I tried it... the price is less however you can feel why when you hold it compared to the e310. Unless she really needs CF for some reason, e310 ;)

Terry
07-16-2002, 07:57 AM
I agree with the e310 comments. The tabbed "main menu" is really easy to use. (I wish I could get the e310 software on my Jornada.) The size is very Palm-like. Add the Transcriber upgrade, Calligrapher www.phatware.com, and you would have a great little PPC. Stay away from the Palm unless you and everyone she works with has one.

Thinkingman
07-16-2002, 08:52 AM
The Audiovox Maestro is on sale at Compusa for 299, it is a good deal since it has the Compact flash and the SEcure digital slots. It is a pocket pc and very affordable:)

Jason Dunn
07-16-2002, 02:08 PM
I'd say the EM-500 on ebay as well - the Casio is a GREAT device, superb battery life and excellent screen. My wife was using one for quite some time and when she switched to an iPAQ, she was shocked at how horrible the battery life was. :D

billresso
07-16-2002, 04:52 PM
Hi

Yep give her an EM500 she won't be disappointed. The standard 16mb is ok
and enought for most uses - but this will depend on what she wants to use it for?

The down side is no CF - so no camera - no massive 256mb cards! or Micrfodrives! But it will handle 64mb MMC - so there is really no problems with the memory side of things -

But you will have loads of fun with what IS available - video/MP3 all the usual PPC2000 programs - the best screen indoors bar none!
It has excellent build quality too!

Right now these can be got from shops in the USA for a little as $150!
Over here in the UK they are a bit more expensive - but not by much.

I have used mine extensivley for over 2 years - never a failure or fault
(except for the user!!) You will need to get a couple of patches/updates
to solve minor niggles - these are available at Casio and other sites.

Don't let the 16mb put you off - this is a fully fledged PPC and well worth
the money! I wager it is STILL the best looking out there!!

Regards

[Cruzer]
07-16-2002, 06:18 PM
what about the maestro... still should be in the price range... I know here in my local CompUSA they are still selling it.. Just a thought

v19george
07-16-2002, 07:28 PM
i guess that's the question, and if she wants a pda, give her the one you think it's best for her use and a nice looking too, i personaly dont like the maestro or e310 or em500.....

spend a lil bit more money and get her an ipaq or a jornada they're goign to be discontinue and should go down in price.... the others.. stay AWAY from them... just a thought

:wink:

Dave Conger
07-16-2002, 07:38 PM
I personally would stray for Ebay. Though you can get a good deal on their, as people are saying, pick up a Maestro for $299...or I have seen the e310s for as low at $330. Might as well get her something new and updated if she is going to use it quite a bit.

web docta
07-16-2002, 08:52 PM
Casio EM-500 is an excellent PDA for the money. If you want to spend a little more , and I personally think it's worth it, get a Maestro.

MobiliT
07-16-2002, 10:18 PM
(I wish I could get the e310 software on my Jornada.)
Actually, you can. Next time you're at a store with a Toshiba demo, beam the following files from it to your PDA:
home.exe, running.bmp, program.bmp, main.bmp, game.bmp

I believe all the files are located in the main /Windows root. Make sure the home file is the real executable, not a shortcut. I have successfully run the program on a Jornarda 568. 8)

Of course, I own a Toshiba e740, so I have paid for the software anyway. :wink:

MobiliT
07-17-2002, 01:55 AM
Next time you're at a store with a Toshiba demo, beam the following files from it to your PDA:
Sorry, I just realized that the files are "hidden", so they are not able to be beamed. :( I was able to see the files when the Toshiba PDA was docked. So unless you beam a better File Manager program to the demo device... :wink:

Zero101
07-17-2002, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys :)

I currently use an EM500 and will probably upgrade it (Toshiba e740.. mmm...) in the next few months because it's not quite cutting it anymore. And for that same reason, I don't think I would buy one for my gf. Also, I would like to get her something a little sleeker than the slightly clunky feeling EM500.

Chances are, I will wait a month or two and get her a new PDA about the same time I upgrade my own. Maybe the new Toshiba for me, and an e310 for her... since she doesn't really need 802.11b or compact flash.

MobiliT
07-17-2002, 05:33 PM
I have a Toshbia e740 and bought my wife an e310. That being said, I just received this link in my inbox... a good deal on the Maestro from CompUSA.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=288988&cmid=emxmas7_17

handheldplanet
07-17-2002, 06:21 PM
I'm recommending the Maestro to all of my "new to Pocket PC or PDA" clients. The Maestro has a great price and two integrated slots (helping new users to avoid the cost of a sleeve if they ever want expandability). My wife uses an e570 and she absolutely loves it. She even turned down an e310 because she wanted to keep using her 128MB CF card (you may want to consider buying a CF card for the extra storage space since the Maestro only has 32MB). The device is also small enough (with the integrated slots!) to fit well in a purse or pocket.

Good luck!

foldedspace
07-20-2002, 10:24 PM
I bought my Maestro off Staples.com for 260....with free shipping.

TFGBD
07-30-2002, 10:01 AM
You can get an @migo for $150 new on Ebay. Theres a seller with hundreds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1361206181

Zero101
07-30-2002, 08:45 PM
What do you guys think of the Psion Revo/Diamond Mako?

http://www.maccentre.ru/catalog/img/DiamondMako.gif

I can find these as cheap as $99.00 brand new, and it seems like a great PDA. It can handle Word and Excel files, and it's a nice compromise of size and useability, I think.

I know this is a Pocket PC world, but still... I am sure you can appreciate the competition too ;)

Jason Dunn
07-30-2002, 09:48 PM
I can find these as cheap as $99.00 brand new, and it seems like a great PDA. It can handle Word and Excel files, and it's a nice compromise of size and useability, I think.

Despite what your girlfriend might tell you - size DOES matter, and the Mako is likely too big to fit in her purse easily... :wink:

Zero101
07-30-2002, 10:34 PM
You've obviously never seen her purse. 8O

No, you have a point. Also, the Diamond Mako doesn't have a backlight (or a color screen... which is a big turnoff), so I am already kind of ruling it out. I was still curious to hear opinions though.

In the end, I just keep coming back to the e310. It's slim.. it's fairly affordable.. it will do just about everything she wants. I just wish it was a little curvier. (And had a keyboard..)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000658CD.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just don't think it's an attractive device at all, and let's face it... along with size, looks matter a whole lot too. ;)

Thinkingmandavid
07-31-2002, 04:45 AM
I personally use and love the Psion REvo, it is the bomb!
It is such a wonderful operating system and I NEVER have an yproblems wihtit. youare right, we can appreciate thecompetition:)hehe
I am soon to buy a Maestro, a comp usa near me is soon to have my charge card:)hehe

Thinkingmandavid
07-31-2002, 04:45 AM
Since the Psion doesnt have color nor backlight dont even bother. I am over here wishign they would get back to developing it or another company would see the advantages and buy or do somethign to make it great. HOw about a bakc light, compact flash, and OS upgrade!:) hehe
then a model up the color version wiht some more to fight for,hehe, put palm,and ppc on their butts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zero101
07-31-2002, 02:12 PM
Um.. I think you are trying to say you like the Psion PDA's.... but I'm not sure. Is that english you are speaking?

Thinkingmandavid
08-02-2002, 04:01 AM
Hello:)
I love those psions and i am just wishing they would do more with the development:)

ECOslin
08-02-2002, 08:15 AM
Vtech Phusion, $20 and has a camera - although a black and white one.
built in keyboard, games, language translater, unit conversion, world clock.

Main screen icon changes for holidays like Christmas and St. Patricks day.

I gave one to someone because they were unsure of buying a full PDA and I have one in addition to my PDAs and Computers.

The review: http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/print/0,23102,7979,00.html

The manual: http://www.vtechkids.com/pdfs/phusion.pdf

Edward

Xyress
08-02-2002, 01:15 PM
After seeing the posting earlier this week about the e310, I was almost tempted to pick one up myself - I personally think it looks great, but that's not going to help you any since tastes vary (for another example, I absolutely hate the design of the iPAQ).

I think it could be a great PocketPC for your girlfriend from what I've heard - only problem is the buttons for games. I hear the D-pad is sluggish (slow response) and one of the 2 right buttons doesn't work with games. Even if she's not that big into games, I bet she'd *love* a little Gameboy emulator and Tetris - my girlfriend plays all the time on her EM500 and she was never into games at all before my influence =)

BTS
08-02-2002, 11:36 PM
The E-310 is a really nice unit to hold but the lack of a keyboard (at least for now) kept me from buying one. However, if she doesn't need the keyboard this is a slick unit.

The Mako/Revo is a great machine but that lack of a back light....oh my what were they thinking. :?: