View Full Version : Last 10 posts feature, clarification needed

Jason Dunn
07-15-2002, 11:02 PM
I need something clarified here. I have some very talented PHP coders helping me with some back-end enhancements, but I'm not sure what the best way to implement this feature is. The PDABuzz version would list the last 10 threads that had been updated with comments, but the link takes you to the top of the thread rather than the newest post. Would you like to see that listing, but have it take you to the newest post in that thread? Or would you prefer to have a listing of the last 10 posts across the entire site, regardless of the thread?

Ed Hansberry
07-15-2002, 11:13 PM
• Last 10 posts in unique threads, site-wide - meaning don't list the same thread three times if it is a busy thread.
• If possible, take you to the first unread thread for you - but don't get hung up on that. That is really what the email alerts are for. It worked well at PDAB taking you to the first post in that thread.

The object is to show you things you might not otherwise see - meaning you need to be at the top anyway. It isn't to keep you aprised of threads you are following. Again, that is what the emails (nonworking right now :wink: ) is for.

Charles Pickrell
07-15-2002, 11:13 PM
I'd rather have the last 10 threads, not posts.

Wes Salmon
07-15-2002, 11:16 PM
Yeah, what they said ... last 10 active threads site wide. :)

jdhill
07-15-2002, 11:29 PM
Yeah, what they said ... last 10 active threads site wide. :)
(Mad scientist says to his assistant) He's alive !!! He's alive !!! :twisted:

Good to see you here Wes. :D

PPCRules
07-15-2002, 11:32 PM
I'd say the same thing. 10 unique threads.
If your guys/gals are really that sharp, can they flag the threads in the list that have more than one post in, say, the past 1, 6 or maybe 12 hours? That would make it easier for us lazy (or busy) people to spot the hot ones.

And go to the top of the thread.
The person without a life that reads every post as its posted can find the end. The rest of us probably have to read more than the very latest post anyway, so let us find that point ourselves.

Malacandra
07-15-2002, 11:42 PM
Last ten THREADS, but not ALL threads. Buzz never listed Off-Topic threads, auctions, etc. Filter out the "junk" posts and keep it to the main boards.

Ed Hansberry
07-15-2002, 11:53 PM
Uhm.... yeah. Last 10 posts in unique threads = last 10 threads. You just said it better. :D

Paragon
07-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Can you not do both? As the forums are setup now you see a list of threads in any particular category. If you click on the header you go to the beginning of the thread, if you click on the page you go to the last post.

Can the top ten not be setup the same way?

Dave

Ed Hansberry
07-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Last ten THREADS, but not ALL threads. Buzz never listed Off-Topic threads, auctions, etc. Filter out the "junk" posts and keep it to the main boards.
Good point. Filter out Off Topic (not front page OT, but the user forum OT - front page OT is serious business folks! :wink: ), Buy & Sell and Announcements at least. Otherwise someone will start spamming it up to get more hits from the Last 10 feature. Probably "Hot Deals" too.

Wes Salmon
07-16-2002, 12:09 AM
Yeah I agree, I filtered out all that stuff, OT, buy/sell, feedback, press releases, etc. I wanted the last 10 PDA posts to be truly PDA posts and it worked out pretty well.

Charles Pickrell
07-16-2002, 12:17 AM
Like this:

I have a Pocket PC to sell and I want to buy a new one. I read a press release about the new iPaq 3900 and it sounds cool. Send me your feedback about this. :)

Ed Hansberry
07-16-2002, 12:19 AM
Like this:

I have a Pocket PC to sell and I want to buy a new one. I read a press release about the new iPaq 3900 and it sounds cool. Send me your feedback about this. :)

SPAM!!! SPAM!!!!!

:wink:

LAVA
07-16-2002, 12:30 AM
I would like to see the top ten threads across the entire site. Just my 2 pennies.

LAVA

Ed Hansberry
07-16-2002, 01:53 AM
I would like to see the top ten threads across the entire site. Just my 2 pennies.
That would be interesting. Not to replace the Last 10, but as a supplement. But Top 10 when? Wouldn't likely care much about a hot thread 8 months ago.

Steven Cedrone
07-16-2002, 03:23 AM

I agree with these as well.........

Steve

GadgetDave
07-16-2002, 05:37 AM
as a newer site visitor, last 10 threads seems right. there's a lot to keep up on -- but how about some customization -- like letting us pick last 5, 10, 15, 20?

Jason Dunn
07-16-2002, 05:43 AM
as a newer site visitor, last 10 threads seems right. there's a lot to keep up on -- but how about some customization -- like letting us pick last 5, 10, 15, 20?

That would require us to have a section on the front page of our site the grew or shrank based on the length of the list. Possible, but a PITA. I'd prefer to tack it at 10 and leave it at that. Maybe we can have a "more" function or something...

Jonathon Watkins
07-16-2002, 09:41 AM
How about the last 20 or 25? I would personally like the option to have the last 50 up – seriously! I always was curious what I was missing at - the 'other place'. :wink: Plus, a different nr of top threads would help differentiate the site. Heck - even the top 15 threads would be good. It is a very valuable and useful way of seeing what people are talking about and helps more people join in. I’m glad it’s being developed. :D

schwuk
07-16-2002, 12:48 PM
How about the last ten updated topics (excluding off-topic topics), with the main link (the topic name) going to the top of the topic, and a second link (icon probably) going to the last post. It could also have an extended ('more...') view that lists more than ten topics.

Listing more than ten topics on the front page would be A Bad Thing(tm). Think about the poor mobile users...
--
Schwuk

Jonathon Watkins
07-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Listing more than ten topics on the front page a be A Bad Thing(tm). Think about the poor mobile users...
Oh come on - it's only a few k more and I'm sure it can be nicely designed to look good even on a PPC. Top 15/20 - Please :D

Janak Parekh
07-16-2002, 07:49 PM
Maybe we can have a "more" function or something... 10 is just right, and at the risk of sounding like another ex-Buzzer (ok, so I was one ;)), there was a more link at the bottom of the 10 which basically had the effect of the "new posts" that you now have.

--bdj

p.s. Sorry to sound overly pedantic, but this post was also very slow in coming. I don't think the problem is fixed :(

Jonathon Watkins
07-19-2002, 10:01 PM
Jason - I can't delete this accidental post despite it being the last one in the thread. – Is that problem still outstanding?