View Full Version : iPaq 3970 Dissapointment

dma1965
07-13-2002, 11:54 PM
After waiting patiently as the first one with my distributor on the backorder list for the iPaq 3970 I finally got one this past week. I drooled in excitement as I opened the package, and was nearly blown way by the new screen as it booted up. I immediately proceeded to load it up in anticipation of the new era in X-Scale devices, and started to put it through its paces. Sad to say :( , I was extremely dissapointed in the latest and greatest from HP/Compaq, and have since returned the device and gone back to my old and what I now consider "trusty" iPaq 3870. Here is a list of what I found that led me to this decision:

1. Screen - While the screen is nothing short of stunning indoors, colors being rendered far more saturated and a general overall brightness (photos are just incredible), outdoors it is absolutely horrible when compared to earlier iPaq models. The contrast on either my 3670 and 3870 outdoors is crisp and whites are blindingly white. On the 3970 whites appear as off-white to grey, and I simply cannot clearly see the image when driving and using it as a GPS. This is perhaps the biggest reason it had to go, because I travel a lot and have to use my iPaq as a navigation device, and, even with the backlight on, the 3970 is just too dificult to see in ambient light.

2. Input/Output - I had read elsewhere that the new X-Scale devices had taken a dive in BUS speed, and it was immediately apparent with my Sierra Aircard 300. When attempting to access the modem to make changes, or writing to the modem's flash ROM after making changes, it took almost twice as long to do this as it did on my 3870. I actually tested this with both devices side by side, and was very dissapointed in how slow the 3970 was. Also, I could not get my 3970 to maintain a connection to my GoAmerica account long enough to do anything at all (such as downloading e-mail). When I popped the card out and put it in my 3870, it worked like a dream.

3. Multimedia - Big dissapointment here. One would think that a faster processor and improved video driver would make the multimedia experience more pleasant, but it was markedely worse in my case. Windows media player is even jerkier than before (if you can imagine that) and Pocket TV, which performed flawlessly in my earlier iPaqs, now skipped frames like a schoolgirl playing hopskotch.

4. Gaming - Well, my alltime favorite Pocket PC game, Turjah II would just not play on my 3970, period! What is even worse was that it would hang on loading, requiring a soft reset to make the device usable again.

All in all I am highly dissapointed in the whole X-Scale scenario. I was really hoping for progress, but I feel we have taken a step backwards. It is certainly not worth 3/4 of a grand in cash to get a nicer screen indoors, as well as a cool universal remote (especially since PDAWin TV Remote performs so admiralbly, and now has voice commands). I hope they fix this mess soon, as I would be the first to take the plunge. Until then, I will stick with my older iPaqs. :cry:

pradike
07-14-2002, 02:00 AM
:roll: Sorry to share the same observations. I just got back from the CompUSA store located 10 minutes away.

I actually used a 3850 & 3955 , as well as the Toshiba E740, right next to each other, and on many of the same programs. Nothing beats hands on comparisons.

With all of the "hype" about the new screen, I was actually disappointed. I guess I was expecting something really special, and saw the same thing you did - is a bit nicer indoors, but distorts color a bit. Outdoors (or bright light) I'd rather look at the 3800 series.

I also didn't notice much speed difference. They actually had 2 games installed, and while the graphics were nice, I wasn't "wow'ed".

One thing I always like to do is let the salesperson do his "thing" in trying to tell me what is great about PocketPCs. To my surprise, he actually tried to steer me away from BOTH the 3900 series Compaq AND the Toshiba E740 (which I also played with for 20 minutes). I can get a CF WIFI card for about $99 locally, so that didn't add much on the Toshiba over the Ipaq either.

He told me they've had almost 50% of them returned from original buyers in the past 2 weeks or so since they got them in (Both the Toshiba & Ipaq 3900 series). He said users simply returned them after 7 or less days with the #1 reason being they were disappointed overall in the screens & lack of speed improvement with the new X-scale chip.

Having played with the new Ipaq & the new Toshiba - I would agree with all of your observations. I also would not buy EITHER unit (I'm an Ipaq fan & have a 3800 series now) until Microsoft comes out with their next generation of Windows CE which hopefully takes advantage of the processor for the first time.

It's a shame, because with the improvements touted in the Ipaw, and the few reviews I've read on the Toshiba, both LOOKED GOOD ON PAPER.

In real life, that's alot of money without the reward I would expect.

petvas
07-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Well, you can take a look at the Loox www.firstloox.org.
You can find a review there and can easily decide what is the best thing to do (wait or buy an XScale device)

dhpss
07-14-2002, 02:33 PM
I have being using my old faithful Casio E-125 for a very long time and jumped on the first opportunity to purchase the Toshiba e740.

My first surprise was the picture quality is about 50% of my old Casio (indoor use). The picture viewer, PocketTV (Mpeg viewing), Windows Media Player (WMA), etc are way way worse than my Casio as far as performance and quality.

Not mentioning about the terrible experience I had with hard to setup (with my Cable/router/Wireless access point Linksys) and unreliable WiFi connection....The help desk staff does not seem to be able to answer my questions nor walk me through the problem.
I returned it and get back with my Casio E-125.
DHPSS :(

dhpss
07-14-2002, 02:40 PM
I just realized this is the HPaq3900 hands-on experience..Not the Toshiba I generalized my Toshiba e740 ...As a new Xscale device experience !Sorry! :oops:

alex_kac
07-14-2002, 04:21 PM
It truly is sad. Why do the new devices have to have such issues? Such a shame. I think I'm being very pessimistic, but I feel that 2002 will not be a good year for PDAs - Pocket PCs in particular. 2003 may be better with new Palms, fixed up Pocket PCs, SmartPhones really getting traction, etc...

petvas
07-14-2002, 05:01 PM
It truly is sad. Why do the new devices have to have such issues? Such a shame. I think I'm being very pessimistic, but I feel that 2002 will not be a good year for PDAs - Pocket PCs in particular. 2003 may be better with new Palms, fixed up Pocket PCs, SmartPhones really getting traction, etc...

Well, what about the Loox? What do you believe? I think it is a great device...

Doug Raeburn
07-14-2002, 05:23 PM
Well, threads like this one on Brighthand:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55214

tell a significantly different story.

And Dale Coffing's review and the recent review on PDA Buyer's Guide were quite positive.

In general, I've seen much more positive feedback on the 39xx than negative. And the reaction seems to be far more positive in general than the reaction to the Toshiba e740 has been.

Different strokes, and all that...

TMAN
07-14-2002, 05:27 PM
Screen - totally subjective. I don't see a problem with the screen at all outdoors. I was just in the bright Colorado sunshine and was able to see the screen with no problems. What is no good for one user is just fine for others.

Input/Output - I can not comment on this one as I don't use an AirCard anymore. I use BT with T68. FYI... BT works without the Stack errors.

Multimedia - problem with all X-Scall devices. I did purchase the X-Scale optimized version of Pocket TV which should be available in a couple of weeks.

Gaming - Every game I have works on the 3970. When I had the Toshiba e740 most of my Jimmy games did not work. Rayman did not work on the e740 either. We just have to wait until the developers code for the new machines. I will add, that this has been an issue for newer Pocket PC's and games. The developers get their hands on them and release new versions of the games.

ThomasC22
07-14-2002, 05:38 PM
Well, not to jump on the "poop on the xscale" bandwagon but I would have to agree with the points above (I own an e740). But, in order to stem the tide a little here are a few counter points (these might not make you feel any better but at least we'll be fair about it).

First, this has always been the case. Honestly, I've owned a Casio E-125, iPaq 3650, iPaq 3850, and now an E740 (I've also owned an E-100, E-115, Palm IIIx, Palm V, and Kyocera 6035 but that is besides the point). Each time I've switched I've given something up. Here's the list -

E-125 to iPaq 3650 - *sigh* this one was probably the worst. I lost a better screen, multiple button pushes, removable batters, CF slot (built in), sturdier design (the 3650 went back 4 times before all was said and done), AND battery life (I know, I know, but regardless of what specs say my E-125 always lasted longer and I've had 4 3650s so it isn't like it was a defective unit). What did I gain? Size (well, less size). Thats it. Sure the iPaq was faster but I never noticed it. I NEVER got an hourglass on my Casio and my Casio could always plat videos and Turjah just fine.

iPaq 3650 to 3850 - OK, get this (all 3800 series iPaq owners are going to find this hilarious). I bought the 3850 for...wait for it...the voice recognition! Yeah, needless to say, that was a bust. So, what did I lose? Attractiveness (I still believe the orignial was better looking than the current head tumour design)and speed (videos that played fine on the 3650 are now choppy on the 3850 but that was mostly media player). I did gain a SD slot and multiple button pushes (which turned out to be not that good after all because what made the Casio special was their configuration as well as the fact that you could push them at the same time). This wasn't that much of a loss but it certainly wasn't worth the price of a new unit.

3850 to e740 - OK, before you judge me too harshly I'd like to point out I switched from a 3850 to a Kyocera 6035 and then back to the e740. Had I not sold the 3850 I would have just stuck with that.

Anyway, here, do I even have to say what I lost. I believe it has been documented in spades, if not elsewhere in this thread alone. So, on to my point...

I've been losing since I started with PocketPCs. Sometimes I wonder why I don't just go back to my E-125 (the reason of course is because it can't be upgraded to PPC 2002 which I do really like, crappy media player withstanding). But until we start demanding a little more quality from these manufacturers there isn't going to be much else to do but complain about it.

Maybe we should file a class action suit or something?

ThomasC22
07-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Gaming - Every game I have works on the 3970. When I had the Toshiba e740 most of my Jimmy games did not work. Rayman did not work on the e740 either. We just have to wait until the developers code for the new machines. I will add, that this has been an issue for newer Pocket PC's and games. The developers get their hands on them and release new versions of the games.

Well, not to pick on you TMAN, but this was exactly the point I was trying to make in my above post. As long as we have the attitude of "Its our fault because we expected the product to work like its supposed to out of the box instead of assuming we'd have to wait for developers to code for it" the longer we're going to get screwed over time and time again.

TMAN
07-14-2002, 06:06 PM
Here is a picture of the 3870 and the 3970 (reflective vs. transflective) in the sunshine.

Left is the 3870
Right is the 3970

I don't see a problem with the 3970 at all.

ThomasC22
07-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Here is a picture of the 3870 and the 3970 (reflective vs. transflective) in the sunshine.

Left is the 3870
Right is the 3970

I don't see a problem with the 3970 at all.

Well, in all fairness, the problems that dma1965 talked about probably couldn't be detected in a photo.

Not saying your wrong, just making the point...

moaske
07-14-2002, 08:45 PM
About the other issue: if you read the LOOX review (the one on firstloox.org), there will be an updated ROM for it ! It was now in beta, but it will be shipping with the first devices, or so i heard...

So i'm thinking: LOOX ! :D

disconnected
07-14-2002, 09:02 PM
I feel strongly both ways :roll:

It does seem like each generation is maybe one and a half steps forward and one step back. My biggest disappointments going from the 3630 to the 3850 were -- on the hardware side, the 3850 screen had more colors than the 3630, but a lot of the colors were too dark to see, and still no built-in CF (although SD was better than nothing), on the software side, Pocket IE is much slower on PPC2k2 than on PPC2k.

I have no self-control, so I went ahead and got the 3970, mainly for the screen and for Bluetooth (although I have yet to get a Bluetooth phone -- Sprint hasn't announced one yet, so I may have to switch carriers....which may lead to a whole new set of complications).

So far I'm quite pleased. I took both the 3850 and the 3970 outside in sun and shade, and didn't see much difference; I think either one is kind of hard to see in semi-shady conditions. Inside, the 3970 is exponentially better!

I always want more, of course -- Lower prices, Compact Flash slot, built in WiFi, more speed (mostly in IE, really), and even better color (red is now on the orange side, while on the 3850 it was pink, and yellow is still kind of dull gold, although not quite as bad as on the 3850). As I get used to each new device, I find several things I'd like improved or added, and somehow these are not always the same things the manufacturers decide to concentrate on.

My first Pocket PC (or handheld of any kind) was the 3630, and I thought it was a small miracle. I'm a little more fussy or jaded now, but I still think the 3970 is pretty great, and wouldn't give it up.

alex_kac
07-14-2002, 10:37 PM

Well, what about the Loox? What do you believe? I think it is a great device...

I can't comment anymore on the Loox since its not released in the US. However, I will say that the Loox so far has been very pleasurable to use.

Duncan
07-15-2002, 01:14 AM
I'll second Alex on that. The iPAQ 3970 may well have the best screen ever but having a Loox for a couple of days really rekindled my love for the Pocket PC - I took it places where I would have left my old iPAQ, the smaller size and weight, the dual slots, the one handed use, the fast reacting light sensor, the fully working and comprehensive Bluetooth...

A wonderful screen could never be enough to compensate for all the other current and past deficiences of the iPAQ and, frankly, I'm just waiting to hear more and more iPAQ complaints. They will start to come and it is going to be messed up in some way - I refuse to trust Compaq/HP to have got anything right!

Take1
07-15-2002, 01:16 AM
All the problems with xSCale could be taken with the attitude "they'll eventually fix this, so it's only a temporary thing". The thing that makes me totally reject this way of thinking is the ridiculous price they are charging for the thing. If they priced it at $550, it would be easier to swallow the pathetic perfomance of the xScale processor, $800 is simply asking too much for WORSE perfomance and a better screen.

pdagal
07-15-2002, 02:07 AM
I don't think the internal memory bus change from 103 MHz to 100 MHz should affect PC cards much.
But there is a problem with some Sierra drivers and the 3900 series. The AirCard 555 doesn't work at all for data, for example.
Sierra is working on some new drivers, and that should fix slow and dysfunctional Sierra PC card behavior on the 3900 series.

2. Input/Output - I had read elsewhere that the new X-Scale devices had taken a dive in BUS speed, and it was immediately apparent with my Sierra Aircard 300. When attempting to access the modem to make changes, or writing to the modem's flash ROM after making changes, it took almost twice as long to do this as it did on my 3870. I actually tested this with both devices side by side, and was very dissapointed in how slow the 3970 was. Also, I could not get my 3970 to maintain a connection to my GoAmerica account long enough to do anything at all (such as downloading e-mail). When I popped the card out and put it in my 3870, it worked like a dream.

Rob Alexander
07-15-2002, 02:18 AM
I've owned a Casio E-125, iPaq 3650, iPaq 3850, and now an E740 (I've also owned an E-100, E-115, Palm IIIx, Palm V, and Kyocera 6035 but that is besides the point). Each time I've switched I've given something up. Here's the list -

Maybe we should file a class action suit or something?

You don't need a bloody class action suit; just stop buying the crappy products! The message you send to manufacturers is binary; either you bought it or you didn't. If you bought it, then they were successful no matter how crappy you think it is afterward.

So instead of buying every new thing that comes along in case it might be better, just hang on to whatever you have until something really better comes along. If no one buys a crippled X-Scale device until they get it working right, then they'll get the message real quick. So will MS if we refuse to buy a new PPC version without X-Scale optimization.

Bottom line: you can rant and rave until the world ends, but the only real impact you can have on these companies is in refusing to part with the cash. That's your voice; use it. :!:

ThomasC22
07-15-2002, 02:52 AM
Bottom line: you can rant and rave until the world ends, but the only real impact you can have on these companies is in refusing to part with the cash. That's your voice; use it. :!:

Well, not really, no. You see, I think you've over simplified. Let me give you a couple of problems with your theory that I thought of off the top of my head:

1 - The new devices do have some added functionality. I wouldn't give my e740 back because of the built in Wi-Fi & two expansion slots. But me being happy with that feature does not negate the fact that they lied about other features.

2 - Its a great theory that if everyone stops buying stuff, it will improve. But the truth is if everyone stops buying stuff, it will disappear. Put it this way, if sales drop by 30% its doubtful compaq is going to change anything, if sales drop by 70% its doubtful compaq will continue to manufacturer a PocketPC. Point is, saying you can simply stop buying products and change things is a bit simplistic in this wonderful world of capitalism we have.

As for the class action law suit, I originally meant it as a joke, but now that I think about it maybe it isn't such a bad idea. It sure would send a message (e.g. we like your products but don't like being lied to about their performance).

Pony99CA
07-15-2002, 04:32 AM
As for the class action law suit, I originally meant it as a joke, but now that I think about it maybe it isn't such a bad idea. It sure would send a message (e.g. we like your products but don't like being lied to about their performance).

Let's hope that all the negative press they're getting will get some action. If you are really ambitious, send quotes (with links) from the sites you follow to the manufacturer.

The last thing we (or HP/Compaq) need is a bunch of lawyers getting rich. In these types of cases, the consumer rarely gets much -- the ability to return the device past the warranty expiration, some discounts on future products, etc. Pfeh.

Steve

ThomasC22
07-15-2002, 07:36 AM
This is a test, please see this link for an explaination.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2205

I apologize.

tonywms
07-15-2002, 10:03 PM
I did a review of the ipaq 3970 back on 7/9/02

I kept my 3970, but I do agree with some things the author wrote here on PPCT.

My Review
http://www.cewindows.net/reviews/ipaq3970-part1.htm

http://www.cewindows.net/reviews/ipaq3970-part2.htm

tonywms
07-15-2002, 10:05 PM
I did a review of the ipaq 3970 back on 7/9/02

I kept my 3970, but I do agree with some things the author wrote here on PPCT.

My Review
http://www.cewindows.net/reviews/ipaq3970-part1.htm

http://www.cewindows.net/reviews/ipaq3970-part2.htm

Jason Lee
07-16-2002, 03:16 PM
1 - The new devices do have some added functionality. I wouldn't give my e740 back because of the built in Wi-Fi & two expansion slots. But me being happy with that feature does not negate the fact that they lied about other features.

Who lied? I don't recall anyone promising anything about xscale. Everyone just assumed that everything would be twice as fast. So did I. Then I remembered that the Pentium 4 ran Office slower that the Pentium III.

I would not give up my e740 for anything right now. Not my ipaq 3850, 3630, jornada 430se, compaq pc companion. None of those have CF, SD, and Wi-Fi built in to a smaller size than my sleeveless ipaq. Windows CE and the built in programs actually load faster (except media player) and if you increase the font cache with a registry editor or pocket tweek everything speeds up. It has the best screen of any device I have had so far with frontlight and (with reg edit) a contrast control.

I'm free, baby, and I'm not goin' back! I'm sleeveless!!! Whoo Hoo!!

Sorry... I've been working on this thing people call self control... ;)

topps
07-16-2002, 06:33 PM
I don't think the internal memory bus change from 103 MHz to 100 MHz should affect PC cards much.
But there is a problem with some Sierra drivers and the 3900 series. The AirCard 555 doesn't work at all for data, for example.
Sierra is working on some new drivers, and that should fix slow and dysfunctional Sierra PC card behavior on the 3900 series.

I hope that they fix the current 555 drivers for the ARM 206MHz devices - they are terribly slow to recognise the card - 25 secs!! Speedy enough once connected but oh so slow to find the card from power-up, even if you were just on a few minutes before, powered off and then on again immediately.

ghoonk
07-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Hey Tony... read your review.

No offence, but you have an unusual grasp of the language, and it took awhile for me to figure out what you were trying so hard to communicate.

The review's pretty sketchy, and I certainly find it hard to figure out the basis of your assumption that the 3970 would automatically sync when in range of a BT-enabled computer. Your comments seemed to imply that this was supposed to be the case, despite the fact that Compaq never said syncing was automatic. Perhaps this was what you gathered from the Bluetooth pitch, but certainly, it was never the intention of Compaq/HP to enable auto-syncing. I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be to walk by my desk and ActiveSync starts up, only to be rudely disconnected as I walk past and out of range again. Doing so would most assuredly drain battery unnecessarily faster than otherwise.

As for getting your BT headset to work with a T68/39, I suggest you check out the Running Voice GSM 2.0 manual, last few pages. It states clearly that if it is your intention to use the phone with the BT headset, that you are to use the PASSIVE profile. Nothing else works.

On the comments you had about sound (4th item), it is almost as if you had never tried out the 3800 series. The ability to adjust bass and treble has been implemented in the 3800 series, so why bother to mention it? Not like it worked any differently from the 3800, right? Wait, don't bother to mention that, because I know it's so (I have a 3970 AND A 3870)

I do, however, agree with your opinion on the screen. It is indeed a marvel and pleasure to have a high quality screen on the iPAQ. The screens on the 3600 and 3700 were so-so, got better in the 3800, and they seem to have finally got it right in the 3900 series. Heard some comments about it performing badly in outdoor lighting, but that's entirely subjective. What I do concede is that the new screen has a strange blueish-grey hue to the whites (unless my eyes are failing me...)

Can't say I've found any decent use for the remote control software yet. It's a 'nice-to-have', but I'd like to keep my fat thumbs off my lovely iPAQ screen, thank you. And tapping around with the stylus to change channels seems a bit retarded, if you get my drift. Give me nice ol' rubber buttons on a sturdy as hell remote control any day :)

Perfomance-wise, there is a noticeable difference in running some applications, and applications optimised for the 3970, if not XScale are beginning to appear --- PocketTV and Pocket DivX are among the first to be optimised. I can't wait to have Pocket Informant, AgendaFusion and the 'must-have' type applications optimised. It's just a matter of time, a WHEN and not an IF.

Your 'review' is more a user opinion (albeit inaccurate) than a product review. For a real grasp of what a REAL review is like, do visit http://www.coffeegeek.com. It's not personal, trust me, but I do so love a great review. With thousands of people out there trusting in your opinions to start a buying frezy (*grin*), we'd like to trust that there was at least some depth to the 'review' :D

asthar40
07-19-2002, 10:27 PM
Folks if you take your dekstop computer to your backyard in a sunny day you will not be able to see the right colors on your monitor. a lot of people posting reviews on this forum either do not own a 3900 or have made their assumptions from a display model at a retail store. If I am looking for a serious review I will look elsewhere.

spursdude
07-20-2002, 12:34 AM
frankly, people don't need and/or want to take a desktop monitor out into their backyard on a sunny day. you're looking at two different worlds - the desktop and the PPC. that's like saying that a desktop won't fit in your pocket, so a PPC doesn't have to either (well, maybe not that drastic, but you get the idea)

many pocket pc users will want a screen visible in all conditions, and i think that a big concern for pocket pcs is how good their screens look in different settings.

ojlittle
08-14-2002, 06:52 PM
I've had almost all of the Pocket PC's that have been available (except the ones I could only find online, ie. Amigo) & just as many Palms (Sony, Handspring, Palm, etc..). I recently sold all of my PPC's & Palms & stayed with the HS Treo 90. I thought it was great. Then I got the iPAQ 3955. The only problem I've encountered was that Agenda Fusion did not work...So I installed Pocket Informant.

I've had the exact opposite speed issues. I previously would not use Mazingo because it caused Word & Excel to slow to a crawl when opening (even when using the "Search for Word Only Files" option. Now Word & Excel open w/no problems & I have 36mb of Mazingo data on my storage cards.

Video - No problems. Watched Andy Griffith last night from Mazingo through Media Player. No skipping or lost frames.

Battery Life - Very good. Has never dipped below 60%.

All in all, this is now my favorite handheld. It brought me back to the wonderful world of PPC's.

Dermot81
08-19-2002, 05:21 PM
I bought the 3950, and I've been using the 3835 before the purchase.

A few things:

Firstly, the screen is absolutely incredible. My pictures actually look lifelike now. On the 3835, pictures were so dark, the color was faded, and the colors weren't even natural. If I hold up my 3950 to my monitor and compare a photo, they look almost identical! Amazing!

Secondly, I see a lot of people bashing X Scale's performance. First, understand that the x scale is emulating the arm 4 instruction set. And everyone knows that when you emulate something, the emulating machine has to be significantly faster than the machine emulated, to achieve decent performance. The X box has a 600 mhz intel cpu (i think 600, might be 650, somewhere around there). Do you think that you can emulate the x box on a pc @ 1ghz and w/geforce 3? No, it will not give acceptable performance. Why? Because software is written for x box hardware, and the pc has to emulate the x box instruction set. The point I am trying to make is, x scale delivers virtually the same performance as the arm 4 processors, and it is emulating it. That is a lot of raw power, if it can keep up with the arm 4 through emulation!

I've noticed this extra power when I "multi task" on my ipaq 3900. On my 3835, if I tried to play an mp3 in the back and go open up a simple game like tetris, the mp3 skips every 3 seconds. On the 3950? Hardly skips a beat. Despite multimedia software being optimized for arm 4, I really didn't notice any frame skipping when running my music videos. Seriously, some of you are so biased from reading reviews that you try extra hard to look for skips when playing back a movie on the 3900. I never bothered to check the fps my 3800 was giving me when i played a movie, but I'll do that later today when I get back home and compare it to the fps the 3900 gives. Again, the biggest benefit of the scale, I think, is the ability to run two apps at once, without a performance loss. My agenda fusion loads up in a flash, and I can jump from screen to screen even with nevo and flash open.

Finally we have the power consumption of the xscale (I'm guessing thats where the name comes from). The x scale is supposed to "scale" itself to the amount of processor power needed and thus conserve power. My 3835 drained battery life like a mofo, maybe there was a battery leak or something in it, but I would usually take it to the library to play some mp3s while I studied, and the power % would drop 20-25 every hour or so. Giving me around 4 hours of usage? Yeah I think that sounds right. So far the 3900 seems to only drop 10-15% every hour, w/ same amount of use.

Lastly, I live in a dorm, and the IR on the 3835 was so weak, that I would have to lean forward to change the channel on my roomie's tv. My dorm room is only 10 feet wide!!! All I want is to change the channel from my bed, is that too much to ask?! So basically the IR was a useless feature on the 3835. On the 3900, Nevo is very feature rich, easy to install and has a very nice customizable interface. And, I can control the TV from my bed!! Infact, if I aim the beam right, I can control my suitemate's tv from my room! Ha ha! I know I get amused easily ;) But seriously, I felt embarrased when I woudl show my friends I could control the tv with my 3835 and then had to literally go an arm's length from the TV to actually have it work.

So to summarize, everything taken into account, do I think the 3900 is faster than the 3800? Yes. Will it run your pr0n clips at double the fps? No, but if you turn off the fps meter, I really doubt you will be able to notice a difference in fps. You will notice the rich new colors that the 3900 provides to your pr0n clips. The IR is a lot better, the screen is not only brighter but the colors are LIFELIKE.

Why would anyone buy a 3800 over a 3900? Because its $100 cheaper? (although I got my 3950 for under $600 on ebay, new, unopened) Or maybe because you can run your pr0n clips 2 fps faster? Or maybe you like to the dull, unlifelike colors on your 3800 because it is easier on your eyes? Or maybe, better yet you like to get up and walk to your tv to change the channel with your pda, since it is good exercise? I don't know, but I'll take the 3900 over the 3800 anyday.

Pony99CA
08-21-2002, 09:22 AM
Lastly, I live in a dorm, and the IR on the 3835 was so weak, that I would have to lean forward to change the channel on my roomie's tv. My dorm room is only 10 feet wide!!! All I want is to change the channel from my bed, is that too much to ask?!

Actually, yes, it is too much to ask. The 3900 series was designed with consumer IR support, but the 3800 series was not. The IR in almost every Pocket PC before the 3900s was only there for transferring data between PDAs. Yes, it could be used to synchronize with a desktop or to print on an IR-capable printer, but how many people really use it for that?

True, you could buy software to use your 38xx as a remote control, but as you saw, the range was limited. One vendor even created a CF card to boost IR levels so their remote software would work at a reasonable range (see Ultramote (http://www.ultramote.com/extender.php) for details).

So you're criticizing the 3800 series for failing to do something that it wasn't designed to do.

Steve

Spenser
08-24-2002, 06:39 PM
So far as I understood from a German PDA-manufacturer, Intel has inofficially (= interdepartmentally) confirmed a microcode bug concerning memory move which is causing so much hassle and ranting. He added, that some products may even have to be returned to the manufacturer for "repair" (=replacement of the xscale-proc) and that at this moment it isn't even clear if the others can be "healed" with a SW-patch. He was sure though that Intel will deliver updated xscale processors later this year. So I can only advise you not to buy an xscale-product now but to wait till Oct-Nov. And yes, there is also the rumour that Microsoft will deliver a patch in the same timeframe for a better xscale-support of PPC 2002.
(I hope you can understand my "English" ;-))

Spenser
08-24-2002, 06:40 PM
Sorry, I incidentally posted my opinion twice.

shaklee3
08-31-2002, 05:25 AM
Just out of curiousity, why do people say the sound on the 39xx is bad? I had the sound up as high as it could go playing mp3s in pocketdivx and it sounded awesome, maybe you have a bad ipaq?

MultiMatt
09-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Loud and clear.

The major complaint I have right now is the problem with the IR where I cannot beam to a Palm OS device....

Matt

MultiMatt
09-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Thought of another thing:

I see the "hourglass" just as often as I did with my 3850. I look forward to truly seeing the benefits of the XScale...

Matt