View Full Version : Syncing with Outlook on Exchange

jkovacs
07-12-2002, 07:02 PM
I'm having a problem syncing my laptop and I'm hoping someone can help. I have a Jornada 568 and I'm trying to sync to Outlook 2000 on my laptop. We have an NT network with Microsoft Exchange. My problem is that I store my .pst locally on my laptop but when I'm connected to the network there are two of each folder (Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks, Inbox, etc.)... one is on the server and one is local. When I sync I want to sync with the folders in my local .pst, but only it syncs with the folders on the server.

I've searched ActiveSync Help Microsoft's knowledgebase but can't find anything related to this. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

Thanks,
Joe :?

markcrump
07-18-2002, 04:42 AM
I don't think you can. I'm pretty sure it only works with the server copy, or what ever is in its "main" view. I also searched through Technet and came up blank. When our MS Premeir subscription gets renewed, I'll take a look there.

jdhill
07-28-2002, 07:24 PM
You need to set up Outlook to use Offline Folders (an .OST file) instead of Personal Folders (a .PST file). Your IT department might be able to help you here. If not, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will e-mail a Word document to you that tells you how to set it up.

The Offline Folders are a synchronized replica of your server-based mailbox. Whenever you connect to your server, you sync it by pressing F9. Everything in your .PST files needs to be imported into the .OST file and then you need to remove the .PST file from your Outlook profile.

I've been doing this for years and it works like a champ. The Pocket PC then syncs with the folders in the .OST file.